1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gasket help

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Man Jerk, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Man Jerk

Man Jerk

When installing a new water pump, I obiously screwed up the gasket, as it leaks pretty bad. Of course when I call around, no one has a gasket in stock, and it will be like 3 days for a stupid $.80 part. What can I make a gasket out of so I don't have to sit around and wait 3 days?

2. 3_puppies

3_puppies SILVER Star

All the local auto parts stores here carry rolls of gasket material, different thickness, just find the right size and a good razor, happy cutting. For the bolt holes, what I found works pretty good is to line the gasket up and smack the place where the holes need to be with a small ballpeen hammer(round side), makes nice round holes. :D

3. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

I've also made gaskets as described and it works good. When you reinstall the gasket use the Permatex gasket sealer. It makes the chances of leaks much lower and makes gasket removal easier later on. I use it all the time.

4. Niner

Niner

I have used (in a pinch) the cartons that Beer and Soda come in for gaskets before but this is only temporary, the ink side falls apart.