Fuel tank mystery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm working on a 77 FJ40 for my boss. He purchased a 79 body and I need to know what fuel tank I can use and where to locate it. Just by dimensions it doesn't appear that it will fit in the rear frame rails of the 77 chassis.

I know more about the early 40s but I believe that 79 was the year that the tank moved to the frame. So you have a 77 frame designed for a under seat tank.

There are tons of examples of people adding a second aux aftermarket fuel tank on the frame, which I think is the route you will need to go. I haven't seen an example of someone adding a under seat tank.

There's a few for sale in the classifieds. For Sale - Fj40 Marks off-road aux fuel tank setup - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj40-marks-off-road-aux-fuel-tank-setup.1315909/

The tank is hung off the bottom of tub 1/79 on. Up to that point it was inside the cab under the fight front seat. Believe Rock Auto sells a aftermarket 1/79 and later fuel tank. Frame mount changed 1/79 and will a bigger challenge to mount 79 tub on a 77 frame. But it can be done.

I admit it was a while ago, but I got a new underseat tank for my ‘74 FJ-40 from Toyota….

You may want to check.

Thank you! We just received the new body. It's supposed to be a 79-84. The fuel fill is in the same place as the 77, but the fuel tank mounting location is mid body under the bed. In front of the rear axle. Did they make a different tank for that location? It doesn't look like the tank for a 79 will fit , by the measurements.

Thank you! We just received the new body. It's supposed to be a 79-84. The fuel fill is in the same place as the 77, but the fuel tank mounting location is mid body under the bed. In front of the rear axle. Did they make a different tank for that location? It doesn't look like the tank for a 79 will fit , by the measurements.
77 frame was not built for the frame mounted tank. It is built for the tub with the under seat tank. Like I said, you'll need an aftermarket aux tank like the one I linked above. Or modify your tub to fit an under seat tank. Or modify the frame to fit the 79 tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom