Front E locked axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched :flipoff2:

Is there a difference in the Front oem E locked axles from a Non locked axle.

How about the inner axle itself? the short side...Do they have longer splines like the rear.

I believe Allan is asking if axle shafts from a non locked 80 are the exact same as a factory locked 80.

The only difference is the rear short side shaft

Yes, one has a locker the other doesn’t. :rofl:

Ummmmmm ok

The only difference is the rear short side shaft

Thank you. We're wanting to use the axle shafts, knuckles, hubs, brakes etc from a non locked axle tube into a locked axle. Aside from the 3rds and the mounting surfaces being different, just wanted to make sure there weren't any other snags.

The non locked pieces are from a 93 going into a 97.

^ This, the other 3 axle shafts are the same.

Thank you

@UZJ40 - not sure what all you’re using, but a locked FR 3rd flange is a different shape than the open/no e-locker style.

But as you stated above, all parts from either axle fit into either 3rd member, the mating flange of the axle shell to 3rd is the difference.

@UZJ40 - not sure what all you’re using, but a locked FR 3rd flange is a different shape than the open/no e-locker style.

But as you stated above, all parts from either axle fit into either 3rd member, the mating flange of the axle shell to 3rd is the difference.

Thank you for the reply.

I have a non locked 80. I'm trying to buy a locked 80 axle, but to save money, I may be able to just purchase the axle housingand 3rd member.

I'd need to put my axle shafts, knuckles, hubs etc on/in that axle housing.

Thank you for the reply.

I have a non locked 80. I'm trying to buy a locked 80 axle, but to save money, I may be able to just purchase the axle housingand 3rd member.

I'd need to put my axle shafts, knuckles, hubs etc on/in that axle housing.

10-4. All good.

Still dig your old ride, you brewing up something or playing semi-mild?

The non locked pieces are from a 93 going into a 97.

One consideration, the early birf and drive plate splines are shorter/weaker than the later ones.

One consideration, the early birf and drive plate splines are shorter/weaker than the later ones.
Kevin is it weaker bec. of the earlier birfs being a bit shorter than the later ones?

Kevin is it weaker bec. of the earlier birfs being a bit shorter than the later ones?

Yes, less spline engagement, so more prone to wear, weaker.

And the earlier drive plates are thinner, so less splines available there also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom