Front Driveshaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently got a front shaft from another 84 Landcruiser. I tried installing it in my 84 cruiser and the bolts dont line up right??? How do I know which is stock or could they both be stock? My Cruiser was built in Oct of 84 could this be considered and 1985? The original driveshaft wasn't included in my Cruiser :( Any suggestion on how I could get this solved?Thanks

Was your old driveshaft a CV unit?? (one end significantly different than the other)

Does the flange on the front of the drive shaft fit both the axle and the Tcase bolt pattern? If not then you probably need a drive shaft with a double cardon joint. The double cardon has a different bolt pattern than the normal U joint. When I installed a 1984 transmision in my FJ62 I had to switch the front Tcase flange on my FJ62 tcase to use the flange from the 1984 because the front driveshaft from the 1984 that I was using had a double cardon joint on it. Is that confusing enough?

I think I understand they both have 4 bolts In a semi square pattern approximately 3 inches apart when I get a chance I will post some pictures. It also seems that from the cruiser I pulled it off it was a narrower space in between than it is now? Yeah I will get some pictures.If anyone has pictures of an 1985 underside that would be great so I can compare.

The drive shaft bolt pattern changed at the end of the 84 model year. 84 and prior the pattern was the same from 75. The Double Cardan has the same bolt pattern as ALL of the preceding drive shafts from 75 up. (I know this with certainty because I am running an 83 double cardan shaft on the rear of my 1976 pattern FJ40 and it bolts right up.

It's hard to know if you have a later shaft, or an earlier shaft. Is the length right?

One other thing-It is possible some previous owners may have swapped either t-case or diff flanges, so who knows what bolt pattern you need. I would use the same pattern everywhere just for consistancy.

Cruiseroutfitters has a good explanation of all the driveshaft bolt patterns used over the years.

Drew, my 85 FJ60 (early 85) had a CV joint. Stock.

BTW, 2.3ish on the Tcase.. :smokin: I am very happy to be wrong on that one :D

Yep-They changed with the "long" H42. If you have an H42 without the spacer, it came with a C/V shaft. I thought the short tranny ended in late 84.

When I had the C/V shaft set up for the rear of my FJ40, the drive shaft shop said it was a very heavy duty C/V with better flex then the Spicer unit of comparable size. The guy even measured the angle it could flex to and had the other guy come look at it. I told him I thought the mini-truck C/Vs were even flexier.

Yep-They changed with the "long" H42. If you have an H42 without the spacer, it came with a C/V shaft. I thought the short tranny ended in late 84.

When I had the C/V shaft set up for the rear of my FJ40, the drive shaft shop said it was a very heavy duty C/V with better flex then the Spicer unit of comparable size. The guy even measured the angle it could flex to and had the other guy come look at it. I told him I thought the mini-truck C/Vs were even flexier.
That is exactly how I understand it.

If you have the spacer, you do not have the CV.

and yes, mini stuff has more flex, unless it is IFS mini CV's.. They have less flex but all of them can be clearanced..

That must be the case then my Cruiser was built in October of 84 so it must have the longer being that the shaft I have is to short :( Dammit. The problem began that when I bought it there was no shaft there at all! Thanks Guys this makes sense now. Any suggestions where to purchase the correct drive shaft for a reasonable price?

Last edited:
got a pic of the tranny/tcase?

HOsting pics on your myspace account typically does not work well..

Even more so if your account is private ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom