Front Double Cardan Drive shaft Mod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Evidently I am one of the unlucky ones that will probably need a DC front drive shaft following my lift. FWIW, the lift was supposed to be 2", but I got 3"+ out of it (I'm not complaining about that).

Anyway, I've got the classic off-throttle "grrrrr" vibration in the front and correcting the caster either... 1. made it worse, 2. the u-joints are starting to wear or 3. I'm paranoid. In any case, I'm thinking of just installing a DC front drive shaft to remove the worry.

I read on the 80 tech forum that a shortened 95.5-04 Tacoma rear drive shaft (extra or double cab) is bolt-on. Can anybody recommend a local place (if possible) to source an appropriate rear drive shaft and more importantly - recommend a shop to do the shortening/balancing/etc.?

Thanks!

Sonnys driveline is the best in Knoxville. The shop is off Rutledge Pike. He has been in business for years. Not sure abt the DC on the Tacomas though.

TLCA #13178 Appalachia Cruisers, STLCA

You might check with White's down in Madisonville / Vonore. They are a junkyard that seems to specialize in Toyotas.

Funny you mentions White's - a guy a work with was talking about them the other day. I'll check them out.

I called Sonnys the other day because CruiserYard sent me the wrong rear shaft, so I was just going to shorten it to save time with shipping. But he told me he couldn't work on Cruiser shafts at all for some reason. (I know y'all don't know me, but I received one of your cards one day when I was parked at Lemon Grass in Maryville. Hoping to meet the group soon).

I called Sonnys the other day because CruiserYard sent me the wrong rear shaft, so I was just going to shorten it to save time with shipping. But he told me he couldn't work on Cruiser shafts at all for some reason. (I know y'all don't know me, but I received one of your cards one day when I was parked at Lemon Grass in Maryville. Hoping to meet the group soon).
Welcome!!! Glad you found us on here. Come on out to Windrock on May 12-18. You will get to meet 200 of us :)

Hey "TN93LC"! I'm in Farragut and wander through Maryville pretty often. Good to see you on here!

So Sonny's isn't going to work on Cruiser drive shafts? That seems odd. I wonder why?

As soon as I get a free moment I'm going to order a used shaft and find someone to shorten it. I figure I'll keep my current one for a spare.

Yeah that's what I thought, but that's what he told me. I went there because he's done work for me in the past on my old Jeep. But he just straight up told me he wouldn't work on it, I don't know why. He actually used the words "I can't touch anything Toyota." Maybe he was just having a lazy day, who knows. So now I'm just sitting here waiting for my replacement to get here.

Worldwide Equipment. Asheville highway. Driveline dept. Around back. Ask for Steve Greene.

My buddy Mark had his Tacoma driveshaft fixed here. Might wanna try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom