Front Crowl vent (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone know when they stopped putting in the operational vent and started tacking on this cover? I looked at 78s and there aren't even louvers or slots.

Specter lists the working parts from 1965 through 9/77. So, presumably if yours was before that date, and is nonfunctional, the working parts were removed (I would assume because they were broken).

When I got my '71 it was blocked off. I inspected it and it was a missing nut or something that was wrong, and the vent opening mechanism needed lubrication. Didn't take me long to get it working. Anyone want a used lexan shield to block their vent?

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=90;start=0#msg29568 date=1059597329]
Specter lists the working parts from 1965 through 9/77. So, presumably if yours was before that date, and is nonfunctional, the working parts were removed (I would assume because they were broken).
[/quote]
I really doubt it, there is no remnance of any thing ever moving with this cowl vent. The plate that should be a flap in the bottom is tacked down, there are no hinges, the tacks look factory.

Maybe so, Bailey, but it would surprise me to see their catalog that far off (not to say it can't happen). Who knows what someone did to your rig sometime in the last 30 years? (If it broke, they probably would seal it off to keep their legs dry. May look pretty factory by now!) But someone ought to have one up to 77 if Specter is right. Maybe it was optional, too?!

It could be an option, also, I remember someone else with a '74 model saying that their cowl vent wasn't and never looked operation...
Hmmmm, wonder if certain years or models they just didn't bother, or maybe it was an option? Good subject for a poll.

Same here, a 5/74 with factory hardtop and the vent is sealed from the factory. No questions about it.

...my 74 doesn't even have the hardware under it. I am digging into my 69 to see if it has the unavailable, welded in parts. It's strictly offroad so it wont miss the pieces at all.

Threw this in the poll as well...but:

I have a '75 that does not/never did have a functioning cowl vent. It is open and has two drain holes that run to rubber tubes that drop down throught he floor. The fresh air knob that I have actuates a vent behind the passenger side loovers.

-R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom