Front Axle Service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to get fired up to do a "front axle service" this weekend. I don't have any issues (no signs of seal leakage, no clicking, etc) but I figure it needs to be done. I've got a kit with all the seals, etc (minus wheel bearings - don't plan on replacing those) and new rotors to install.

I'd like to do at least a day or so of GSMTR and this is one of the things I think I ought to do... I've done this before on mini-trucks but not on an 80 series. How long does it take to do this job?

You can do both sides in a day with no problem. I helped a buddy do his not too long ago. Just be sure you have all the grease and diff fluid before beginning.

It took me a leisurely 2 days, but I did all the bearings, seals, etc, and I also upgraded to the FZJ rotors and calipers while I was at it. I say a good day would do it. Like bluehawk said, just make sure you have all the fluids and grease before you start. Soak all the bolts and nuts a few days before to make life easier.

Have you tackled this yet Mike?

...via IH8MUD app

Nope, not yet. I ran out of time on the weekend I had planned it and rationalized that since I wasn't having any issues, I would just check the moly level in the Birfs and see what was what. I have no evidence of any seal leakage (although Joe mentioned seeing moly in his differential oil - that was a new one for me) and everything on the front axle is super-clean. Also, no clicking, etc. Heck, the bolts that secure the rotor to the hub looked like brand new. I added about 4-6 oz of moly grease to each knuckle and that was it.

Having said that I am still going to do this. I need to run to Northern Tool and get a small parts washer and a seal driver (been doing this kind of stuff for too long without these fancy things) and will probably do it on an upcoming weekend.

I've been thinking about getting a parts washer myself. Seems like it would make cleanup a lot easier. I'm getting tired of using boxes and anything else I can find to keep from making a mess of the garage. Front axle service is not top priority for me at the moment on the 40. But I will need to do it sometime in the near future.

It sounds like your front end is still tidy and the seals are good. Top it off and go with it. No diff fluid in knuckle grease?

Nope, no diff fluid in the knuckles. By the looks of them, they have never been serviced, but they look OK. Maintenance jobs are stacking up, though. I ordered a full tune up kit (cap, rotor, plugs, wires, etc) and need to do that too. Just gotta find the time.

I had a parts washer years ago and it sat mostly unused all the time and so I gave it to a friend when I moved. I'm now thinking about a small one that Northern has as it seems like it would be perfect for wheel bearings, etc.:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381752_200381752

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom