From Misfortune to Light of a New Day: Setting Up the Replacement Truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you have that rack off again and want to remove the adhesive residue from the roof this makes quick work of it:

Follow that with a denatured alcohol wipe.
I think I saw something about that or something similar in one of the older delete your rack threads. I actually was having pretty good luck with a plastic scraper and a heat gun. The last 10% was going to be difficult and the spinning wheel would probably work better there.

Then I got to a point where I realized I can't see up there (I'm 6'2") so neither can anyone else, so it became good e'nuf.

Been wiring, wiring, wiring, so time for some catching up.

First, I didn't really like the circuit disconnect at the battery, so I found something more suitable that doesn't fall apart when disconnected. It also keeps all the hot points inside the battery box safely.
8dWCR9.jpg

Back inside the cabin, I've installed a panel next to where the power point is located.
CcTQjp.jpg

It includes a 12 Volt socket, a pair of Powerpole connections, a voltmeter, and an ammeter. The ammeter included no wiring instructions, but had a + and a -, with a third connection in between that was colored the same as the +. I assumed this third one was the output. The gauge lights up showing zero amps when wired in series as is typical. Maybe I need to swap the positive leads? Anyway, waiting on a call back from Front Runner on this, but have it jumpered until then. The gray blank panel is for access to several fuses on the add-on lines once I have the planned sleeper/drawer install complete.

Over on the passenger side, I installed another panel with 12 v socket, dual PowerPoles and a USB fast charger.
7g7jwx.jpg

In my next post on this project, we'll take a look changes made up front.

Looking good!

Hate to read the misfortune of the accident but glad to see you are ok and getting back in the saddle again. That looks like a wild ride. Had a similar misfortune and been lost in the hunt for a replacement. Hopefully something shows up soon. I got some parts to recycle and am missing my woods therapy lately.

Keep up the steady work on the rebuild.

Looking good!

Hate to read the misfortune of the accident but glad to see you are ok and getting back in the saddle again. That looks like a wild ride. Had a similar misfortune and been lost in the hunt for a replacement. Hopefully something shows up soon. I got some parts to recycle and am missing my woods therapy lately.

Keep up the steady work on the rebuild.
Jason,
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I hope that you also find some satisfaction in making a comeback to feed your need for the wild in an 80!

Last edited:
Can I ask why you don't have a secondary battery to run the house electronics, or at least a larger capacity battery to shoulder the load? That single battery will be taxed. The cost and reassurance of having a 2nd battery is always nice.

This is how I wired mine in, you can have the battery automatically charge/manually charge or turn it off and you can run a separate fuse box for your aux power needs.

IMG_1361.JPG

Last edited:
We're turning to the front seats now. First, I've actually come to like the LX center console. After cleaning out that tired old disc changer and putting that suboptimal subwoofer out to pasture, I find that the padded top is right where my elbow needs to be to temper the crankiness of my bum right shoulder, the main reason I invested in the Tuffy console in the old 80 series. I retained the grille that covered the opening to the spot the defunct sub previously occupied.

I already had mounted a small remote speaker for the CB in front of the transfer case shift lever. To meet all my power needs, I used a plugin with a USB changer port in the plug for the cigarrette lighter plus 3 12 v outlets located on the passenger side of the shift console and 3 more between the console and the passenger seat. The lighter circuit is 15 amp, but most of the loads on it here are pretty minimal" GPS, dash/backup cam, SiriusXM receiver, scanner, head unit for scanner, and Uniden powered speaker.
5lVrQQ.jpg

The driver's side of the console contains the always on power via a fuse panel powering 12 v always on circuits including a double Powerpole on the passenger side of the shift console, another 3-set of 12 v plugs, a 12 v/USB charger on the rear of the console for second row use, and an inverter powered through a switch that's easy to reach because it's buried at the bottom of the console where the CD changer once set.
PJM1Xm.jpg

ZPYDDL.jpg

Yes, a lot going on, but makes for as relatively neat installation.
JJ0TGx.jpg

Outside, I added a nicely effective backup light, along with the camera on the deflector for the Armor All dash and back-up cam.
MwbpgQ.jpg

The Armor-All mirror makes for a clean install, although I'd like a full width image for the reverse cam. It's not shown here, but is confined to a smallish image on the right side of things.
1rH10x.jpg

Wiring for the reverse light runs along inside the Bowfin rack's left leg, then I used some narrow strips of super strong mounting tape (Loc-Tite?) to affix it to the A-pillar trim, then ducking under the hood via the cowl inside to my Blazer light control module.
EKGmUj.jpg

To add the awning, I had to modify the Prinsu awning mounts to deal with the fact that I dropped the crossbars to provide a deeper inside lip to the rack. This is what I did.
oQXHGS.jpg

ikm0Nt.jpg

These low-profile mounts allow the truck to just clear getting in and out of my garage and keeping the whole she-bang (when unloaded) under the 6'8" limit many parking garages have.
8nuTyF.jpg

I didn't deploy the awning due to the rain, but it looks good to be back on a truck again.
h7GU8i.jpg

Finally, a Xmas present from the wife after taking a quick course on the vinyl cutting machine at the library and she came up with this as a sample project.
8Kabmg.jpg

Can I ask why you don't have a secondary battery to run the house electronics, or at least a larger capacity battery to shoulder the load? That single battery will be taxed. The cost and reassurance of having a 2nd battery is always nice.
Good question. One step at a time, my friend, gotta stay in budget. I wanted to get the interior wiring done so I'm pretty much finished with pulling panels, etc. What's left inside is refreshing the audio and that's all in one place, pus dealing with the power antenna.

Adding the second battery is about a $700 question. Around $260 for the Slee batterry/WW relo kit, around $340 for the Hellroaring battery isolator and remote unit, then somewhere over $100 for the Marine Starting battery from Interstate. That's $600, plus I'll need a Blue Sea switch and some additional cabling to hook everything up. Most of that goes under the hood and easy to build as a separate package. The way Hellroaring suggests hooking the backup up is keeping everything on the primary battery and leaving the backup only for that purpose. This has worked well on the old 80, so none of this needs to really be moved when I get to that install.

It's a few months until camping season begins in earnest around here, although am contemplating a shakedown trip to the Ozarks if I can find some guidance to good trails down there. In the meantime, there's always the jumppack if I push things too far.

Last edited:
Finished up several mods and improvements. Just got done getting these hatch lights working despite some rather inscrutable hatch wiring mysteries.
wIEQNO.jpg

Recycled an old booklight into a decent map light...so long as that shade doesn't start drooping.
0tIfur.jpg

Worked on the radio stack, now featuring a $150 Kenwood 505BT something along with the President AM/FM CB and my old school Bearcat Trunktracker digiscanner.
1njhUh.jpg

Here's how I dealt with the SiriusXM antenna and its cabin entry slithering off the modded BowFin Cruisers rack and down the B pillar.\ with the aid of some Super Glue Total Tape and some Gorilla Tape. The Total Tape is the correct name for the product I used to take the wiring for the reverse light up the A-pillar in an earlier comment here.
zAOZuo.jpg
FeWV6p.jpg

Meanwhile, planning on the sleeper/drawer system is moving forward. Gonna build a shallow platform to deal with the water tank vs footwell interface, so cut out a crude cutting pattern for the top of that.
rr1qS4.jpg

This is approximately where the water tank will be located once the woodwork is done.
CBYuy3.jpg

Finally, found out the windshield washer isn't working, so found a $15 motor to fix it on ebay. Looking forward to it and my new gray seatbelt.

Last edited:
We're turning to the front seats now. First, I've actually come to like the LX center console. After cleaning out that tired old disc changer and putting that suboptimal subwoofer out to pasture, I find that the padded top is right where my elbow needs to be to temper the crankiness of my bum right shoulder, the main reason I invested in the Tuffy console in the old 80 series. I retained the grille that covered the opening to the spot the defunct sub previously occupied.

I already had mounted a small remote speaker for the CB in front of the transfer case shift lever. To meet all my power needs, I used a plugin with a USB changer port in the plug for the cigarrette lighter plus 3 12 v outlets located on the passenger side of the shift console and 3 more between the console and the passenger seat. The lighter circuit is 15 amp, but most of the loads on it here are pretty minimal" GPS, dash/backup cam, SiriusXM receiver, scanner, head unit for scanner, and Uniden powered speaker.
5lVrQQ.jpg

The driver's side of the console contains the always on power via a fuse panel powering 12 v always on circuits including a double Powerpole on the passenger side of the shift console, another 3-set of 12 v plugs, a 12 v/USB charger on the rear of the console for second row use, and an inverter powered through a switch that's easy to reach because it's buried at the bottom of the console where the CD changer once set.
PJM1Xm.jpg

ZPYDDL.jpg

Yes, a lot going on, but makes for as relatively neat installation.
JJ0TGx.jpg

Outside, I added a nicely effective backup light, along with the camera on the deflector for the Armor All dash and back-up cam.
MwbpgQ.jpg

The Armor-All mirror makes for a clean install, although I'd like a full width image for the reverse cam. It's not shown here, but is confined to a smallish image on the right side of things.
1rH10x.jpg

Wiring for the reverse light runs along inside the Bowfin rack's left leg, then I used some narrow strips of super strong mounting tape (Loc-Tite?) to affix it to the A-pillar trim, then ducking under the hood via the cowl inside to my Blazer light control module.
EKGmUj.jpg

To add the awning, I had to modify the Prinsu awning mounts to deal with the fact that I dropped the crossbars to provide a deeper inside lip to the rack. This is what I did.
oQXHGS.jpg

ikm0Nt.jpg

These low-profile mounts allow the truck to just clear getting in and out of my garage and keeping the whole she-bang (when unloaded) under the 6'8" limit many parking garages have.
8nuTyF.jpg

I didn't deploy the awning due to the rain, but it looks good to be back on a truck again.
h7GU8i.jpg

Finally, a Xmas present from the wife after taking a quick course on the vinyl cutting machine at the library and she came up with this as a sample project.
8Kabmg.jpg

Good question. One step at a time, my friend, gotta stay in budget. I wanted to get the interior wiring done so I'm pretty much finished with pulling panels, etc. What's left inside is refreshing the audio and that's all in one place, pus dealing with the power antenna.

Adding the second battery is about a $700 question. Around $260 for the Slee batterry/WW relo kit, around $340 for the Hellroaring battery isolator and remote unit, then somewhere over $100 for the Marine Starting battery from Interstate. That's $600, plus I'll need a Blue Sea switch and some additional cabling to hook everything up. Most of that goes under the hood and easy to build as a separate package. The way Hellroaring suggests hooking the backup up is keeping everything on the primary battery and leaving the backup only for that purpose. This has worked well on the old 80, so none of this needs to really be moved when I get to that install.

It's a few months until camping season begins in earnest around here, although am contemplating a shakedown trip to the Ozarks if I can find some guidance to good trails down there. In the meantime, there's always the jumppack if I push things too far.

I am calling bs on this:flipoff2:. You are using two sided tape for mounting, modding front lights with gorilla tape and repurposing book lights into your build, but the dual battery system has to be Slee and Hellroaring? You can easily fab a washer bottle relocation for about $10, toyota battery box about $90 and Blue Sea isolator for $50-$100. This is what I did and it has been working perfectly for a decade.

I am calling bs on this:flipoff2:. You are using two sided tape for mounting, modding front lights with gorilla tape and repurposing book lights into your build, but the dual battery system has to be Slee and Hellroaring? You can easily fab a washer bottle relocation for about $10, toyota battery box about $90 and Blue Sea isolator for $50-$100. This is what I did and it has been working perfectly for a decade.
Based on experience and budget, I've found that some things work OK by going cheap (w/w pump) and others you want OEM, like the seatbelt. I'm a retired historian now, but in a previous life I used to work as a parts inventory and records clerk in Class 8 truck maintenance facility. My boss there had his faults, but I learned a lot about what's cost effective. For example, on the Slee relocate kit and Hellroaring isolator, I am very satisfied with how that investment held up in the old truck over more than a decade of trouble-free service, so prefer that path to DIY or cheap there. YMMV

Based on experience and budget, I've found that some things work OK by going cheap (w/w pump) and others you want OEM, like the seatbelt. I'm a retired historian now, but in a previous life I used to work as a parts inventory and records clerk in Class 8 truck maintenance facility. My boss there had his faults, but I learned a lot about what's cost effective. For example, on the Slee relocate kit and Hellroaring isolator, I am very satisfied with how that investment held up in the old truck over more than a decade of trouble-free service, so prefer that path to DIY or cheap there. YMMV

All in good fun. Did the system in your old truck get damaged?

All in good fun. Did the system in your old truck get damaged?
I was able to pick over personal stuff, etc in the crashed 80, but the hood wasn't coming open without a lot more effort than I was able to bring to bear at the time with a couple of cracked ribs. There was a lot of stuff that didn't get picked out, plus all the labor involved in most of it went by the wayside. That's life after my first major in over a half century of driving I suppose.

Since we're doing lights, might as well have disco lights in the LX...
<div style="padding:177.78% 0 0 0;position:relative;"><iframe src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen; picture-in-picture" style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" title="IMG_5657"></iframe></div><script src="https://player.vimeo.com/api/player.js"></script>

Here are some pics...
I used a piece of 3/4" wide piece of aluminum made for edging on plywood, cut to 4" long, the creatively bent to slide in behind the interior trim. This was on both sides as they package these as 2 light sets run by the same controller.
59d1Qa.jpg

I used Super Glue Total Tape to attach the light to the bracket.

The wires are just long enough to reach the forward interior light. There I connected the leads to 12 V always ion power. There is a little black box that is operated by one of those 20 button remotes, so there's no need to worry about wiring in switches, just hook it up. I used some plastic wire clips hooked under the sunroof trim to keep things orderly.
aVegXf.jpg

I just stuck the black box to the lens as the OEM light now has a rather directional LED lamp in it and the attic blocks light to the rear which is partly why we're putting in these lights.

The lights work pretty well and give you red at the push of a button to work better at night.
XviCU3.jpg

pYHMlR.jpg

Gotta get the sleeper built so I can thin out the attic.

Last edited:
I rested part of the day due to recent surgery, then got restless and went at the lumber I bought before going under the knife, urr, laser. Anyway. Here's some of where I got design wise in the cabinetry. These are nominal 1x12, picked over Select boards that cost well under $100 for the 5 x 8' I bought. Tie downs coming soon as appropriate. BTW, these are the unripped boards, They will be cut a bit shorter by final design, in such a way as to come out level with the top; of the water tank. I plan on using maple or some other high quality plywood for the top deck.
yPzPdt.jpg

Left side rear holds a fridge slide, the right side rear a big drawer, forward lf that will be two large compatments and a number of cubby holdes
Op4zjN.jpg

The best part of the day was finally getting my digital ammeter hooked up right, with a big thank you to LandLocked93 for helping me sort out the circuitry I needed to monitor my house battery system.
kkm9Fu.jpg

I'd just started charging a work light when I snap-shotted these readings

It's visible in the pics above if you look closely, but here is a pic that shows it really well. That is that the area where the 2nd row seating sits is about 1" lower that the cargo area, at least on this Lexus, which may have extra soundproofing? In any case, the intersection of the two when working for a straight topped result means you have to account underneath for this variance, but it can also work in your favor is taken into account.
cGm2GT.jpg

Eventually, after taking into account the different surface treatments possible, ever thing here will be ripped so that the end result is a surface that comes out level with the top of the water tank.

Here's one feature that is hard to see but very useful, a small shelf directly in front of the water tank. It's mainly for keeping CD sleeve books readily at hand. I later added a short lip at it's front.
FGwLAd.jpg

Here I'm finishing up the drawer/sleeper so mostly about woodworking.
SESijV.jpg

The threshold at the bottom of the rear tailgate offers a way to tightly squeeze in a piece of oak top pull things together.

Last edited:
Here's one feature that is hard to see but very useful, a small shelf directly in front of the water tank. It's mainly for keeping CD sleeve books readily at hand.
FGwLAd.jpg

Looks like a mousehole, but this is access to hook up the plumbing for the water tank.
7Xezlb.jpg

This shows the water tank tie downs that also stabilize the whole drawer/sleeper frame work. And it's tested, as this is an improved version of the same basic design in the "test truck" you can see in the pic on page one...
04P2NE.jpg

Here's the underframe showing the framing for the lift panels added along both sides. The rear steel bar tie-down is also obvious in this pic.
CS1v8N.jpg

Here the top panels are roughed in. The rear most one on the left covers the opening that will be left when the fridge is slid out over the tailgate. When the fridge is in, it is fastened to the deck top otherwise.
d9w2OD.jpg

The next pic show it bolted down next to the fridge slide, as well as carpet making this area less harsh to slide around on.
xNsC7p.jpg

This is also a handy area to sit and dress in given the limited overhead space in the truck. One negative note is that I glued the carpet down when it was a little on the cold side of recommended install use for the carpet glued.

Here we see the fridge slid out, along with the extended kitchen counter/cutting board that slides underneath the fridge slide.
Ud41cg.jpg

Here all is tucked in for travel.
gv0i8T.jpg

I'll probably throw some carpet on this back panel when things warm up enough to use the regular gluing process.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom