Ford 8N Tractor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone on here ever rebuild the oil pump on a Ford 8N tractor? Getting ready to start this job by cleaning out the barn and putting all of the tools away. I hope I am not opening a can of worms...

I can't get my 8N to run. sparks good. 2 dry cylinders, 2 wet. It wants to, but won't. I've burned 2 cylinoids trying to start it....

what do you think?

barnfind, I was having trouble starting my 8n too for a while. I had a bad connection to the coil so had spark but it was weak and intermittent. I put a jumper wire directly from the hot side of the solenoid to the coil and it starts immediately, and has beautiful big sparks. I also jumped the tractor with a 12 volt battery so it spins way faster when I was having trouble and that would get it going but the cleaning of connections and new wires did the trick so I didn't have to do that anymore, the old 6volt cranking it slow will start it immediately. I am assuming you still have 6 volt system so If you try jumping it with a 12 volt vehicle, do it on the starter side of the solenoid just touch the cable to the terminal, if you do it to the battery side you'll fry the solenoid and probably much worse so good luck.

For anyone reading this: voltage at the front mounted distributor coil is 1.35 while cranking the starter. Battery voltage is a solid 6.5. I am debating the 12v conversion while everything is out in the open. Maybe I should solve the no spark issue before going any further.

IMG_1694.jpeg
IMG_1695.jpeg

Another 50+ degree day here so I had an hour to try to finish up the distributor and ballast resistor…here’s a few pictures. This had to be the original ballast resistor as there was no chance of it coming out any way that was normal. After drilling the heads off, I’d chiseled the ballast resistor off, vise-gripped the remains portion of the screws out, re-drilled and tapped new holes. Added a new key switch as well and replaced a jumper from the ammeter.

View attachment 3516449View attachment 3516450

Another 50+ degree day here so I had an hour to try to finish up the distributor and ballast resistor…here’s a few pictures. This had to be the original ballast resistor as there was no chance of it coming out any way that was normal. After drilling the heads off, I’d chiseled the ballast resistor off, vise-gripped the remains portion of the screws out, re-drilled and tapped new holes. Added a new key switch as well and replaced a jumper from the ammeter.
But did it start and run?

To answer your question did it start and run? …….LIKE IT NEVER HAD BEFORE.

I still have the hood off so no fuel tank….and need to replace the starter button on the transmission top cover. I did reconnect the new key switch and ballast resistor and decided to see if there was enough fuel left in that 20” fuel line to even come close to starting…I turned the new key switch on and grounded the starter switch wire and it instantly started.. no choke, no throttle and ran about 1 1/2 minutes then sputtered. It had not run in over 5 months

I couldn't stop grinning. While I should swap the old generator with the new alternator and wiring, it was just so impressive that if this is how it stays, there is not much benefit besides a 12V battery. I can get back in there in the spring. It does turn over a little slowly but started within 1 revolution of the crank…. My only real need for the next 3 months is that IF we get one of those monumental nor’easters with 20+” of snow, I no longer have it in me to shovel and drive up and down the road to pack down snow. Done that for almost 5 decades never having had anything to move snow. Then, we get a warm spell and the packed snow turns to mashed potatoes and no one (like deliveries) can get here. @BILT4ME , I appreciate the gentle push…it motivated me.

To answer your question did it start and run? …….LIKE IT NEVER HAD BEFORE.

I still have the hood off so no fuel tank….and need to replace the starter button on the transmission top cover. I did reconnect the new key switch and ballast resistor and decided to see if there was enough fuel left in that 20” fuel line to even come close to starting…I turned the new key switch on and grounded the starter switch wire and it instantly started.. no choke, no throttle and ran about 1 1/2 minutes then sputtered. It had not run in over 5 months

I couldn't stop grinning. While I should swap the old generator with the new alternator and wiring, it was just so impressive that if this is how it stays, there is not much benefit besides a 12V battery. I can get back in there in the spring. It does turn over a little slowly but started within 1 revolution of the crank…. My only real need for the next 3 months is that IF we get one of those monumental nor’easters with 20+” of snow, I no longer have it in me to shovel and drive up and down the road to pack down snow. Done that for almost 5 decades never having had anything to move snow. Then, we get a warm spell and the packed snow turns to mashed potatoes and no one (like deliveries) can get here. @BILT4ME , I appreciate the gentle push…it motivated me.
I love the old iron.

Cars, trucks, tractors.
One of my close friends bought my Dad's Avery and restored it .

We had Case, Oliver, and Farmall on our farm and I learned early how to do it all.

Generators are reliable as can be and take little maintenance. However, the 6V systems are slow to crank and can be cantankerous in cold weather when you need them most.

Keep up the great work!

@BILT4ME …thanks for the kind words. I found several sources for information on the old 8N but the most impressive is Rachel Gingell of farmtractorrepair.com. Their YouTube channel is so entertaining…..Here is a lovely young woman with the skills of a seasoned mechanic and the ability to speak as well as JFK and Albert Einstein rolled into one. She and her father have all the parts and knowledge to dig someone out of many impossible situations. Take a peak at any of their service videos should you have a free moment here is 1 link:

I did replace the distributor bushing and that also eliminated a 1/16” of spinning slop at the crank. My idle is quite smooth as well

Tonight I am paying for the days activity…pre-op knew and right shoulder complaining, lower back joint in loudly too.

got the wiring redone, and placed to hood back on. Surely a 2 person job especially with the loader in place. The tractor runs so well it took it for a ride to pick up the mail. It’s about 1/2 mile away and seriously enjoyed the ride. Changed the starter switch and had to pull the steering wheel to set the hood back on
IMG_1730.jpeg
IMG_1732.jpeg
IMG_1733.jpeg
IMG_1734.jpeg

Tractor is running fine. Finally got around to doing those summer projects that I could not do without the tractor…

Erected this tower in June 1980… a tornado took it down July 2023

IMG_1736.jpeg
IMG_1737.jpeg
IMG_1744.jpeg
IMG_1742.jpeg

Today we had around 6” of snow and in the 46 years we have lived here, with the storms of 24” to 32” of snow we have had from nor’easters some years within a week of each other, I decided to plow snow using the Ford 8N. It performed flawlessly did the entire 1/2 mile dirt road and all around the pole barn. Put the tire chains on the rear, without them the mild uphill grades are impossible. Those were a pain and heavy but, they dug right in and finished plowing in about 2 hours

IMG_1823.jpeg
IMG_1824.jpeg

Today we had around 6” of snow and in the 46 years we have lived here, with the storms of 24” to 32” of snow we have had from nor’easters some years within a week of each other, I decided to plow snow using the Ford 8N. It performed flawlessly did the entire 1/2 mile dirt road and all around the pole barn. Put the tire chains on the rear, without them the mild uphill grades are impossible. Those were a pain and heavy but, they dug right in and finished plowing in about 2 hours

View attachment 3537066View attachment 3537067
But.....where's the TRACTOR in the pic?

IMG_1826.jpeg
IMG_1825.jpeg

But.....where's the TRACTOR in the pic?
I can’t believe you asked …so I went back outside in my pajamas for this picture after a great hot shower 🤣

I can’t believe you asked …so I went back outside in my pajamas for this picture after a great hot shower 🤣
I've pushed and scooped miles of snow on an Oliver and/or Farmall tractors.

I always enjoy seeing other's setups!

Nice work!

Funny thing, @BILT4ME , I had taken the tire chains off during the summer and they were lying right next to the tractor….under the snow. the flats were not really an issue but going back up the road on a rise, it slipped in place like it was tied down. Dragged the chains, very heavy for an old guy, and got them in place to drive on and from that point on…perfect

that hot shower felt great !

By the way, that bucket on the front loader is a fabrication of pieces to make it 6‘ wide…un bolts to go back to the Dearborn style with 6 bolts. I also dragged the backblade while pushing snow. With the chains, never a problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom