fj60 under an fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched and searched and haven't found exactly what I am looking for. I have a 69 fj40 with a siezed engine that I am in the process of removing the tub. I had been looking for a 2f/4sp and came upon a pretty incredible deal on a complete running 83 fj60 with 145k on the engine but no title (PO didn't have much history about how he aquired it other than some incomplete bill of sale). I knew I wanted to swap some parts to the 40 (front brakes, engine/tranny,t-case). Would it be relatively straightforward (no major fab work) when I have the 40 tub off to switch everything including axles (by widening hangers) to the 40 frame and then put the tub back on top? I would really like to keep the PS from the 60 and the steering components and I figured the only feasable way would be to keep the 60 axle. I'd like to keep the 60 intact because it is in such good shape, but I am concerned about aquiring a title and I really would rather have an fj40. Please, let me know what you think, direct me to a thread I missed, or throw in some other opinions, because I am new and not too stubborn to take some advice.

Thanks,

Brian

you can swap in the engine from the fj60 right into you fj40. The newer engine will have the power steering pump on it already. All you would have to do is swap out you manual steering gear box out for one from a mini truck. Its pretty eaSY. There is no need to swap axles, plus that would be a lot more fabrication cause the spring hangers won't line up... But there are other parts from the fj60 that I'm sure you would find useful as well

widen the 40 front hangers to 60 width, use the motor/tranny/tcase and use the steering box.

Lots good parts there. :)

The fj40 has a clean title, so I have no worries there. Another reason I was thinking of changing axles was to transfer the fj60 steering wheel onto the 40 since I am not going for a perfect resto and rewiring. If I swapped the mini-truck steering box, would a latter style steering wheel fit on the 69. I could go aftermarket but I'd rather keep toyota and my stock 69 wheel is pretty ugly. I would prefer to keep the fj40 axles under there for the gear ratio, so I guess mini-truck would be my best bet.

Thanks everyone for there thoughts, I'll try to get up some pics tonight of my progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom