FJ60 rear drive line lengths? Early vs late length. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious what lengths of drive lines were used on FJ60s ?
I have an 86 and I believe I have an early driveline installed. I do have the late fj60 transfer case. Any information on different lengths would be appreciated.

What transmission do you have?
There is already a thread with all the 60 series driveshaft lengths posted.

early has a DC up front and I think it was 27.5" flange to flange

I'm also pretty sure (it's been a while) that the flanges had a smaller bolt pattern. CruiserOutfitters used to have diagrams on their web page

also, early H42 is short, later (once H55 was introduced) had either the long H42, with spacer, or the H55

In ‘85 they changed the flanges. Drives shafts aren’t comparable between early and late.

Yes , that’s what I thought.
However .. when the rig is unloaded and observing the slip yoke depth of engagement into drive shaft, it is bottomed out. My pinion bearings in the third member have end play and a slight leak. A definite vibration occurs when in a non driving or deceleration condition. When driving load is neutral the vibration occurs but goes away when accelerating or decelerating or just maintaining your chosen highway speed. This is the second time I’ve had this issue.
Question of the day, “ How much slip yoke travel should be extended with an unloaded vehicle??

if it were my truck, I would double check my pinion(s) and transfer case flanges for matching angles (assuming there isn't the early style DC). this may be your vibration culprit. your leaf spring axle wrap may also be a contributor depending on the resting angles
buy new u-joints, measure from flange(s) to flange(s) and take parts and information to a driveshaft shop and make new shafts. if you feel that you need a longer slip joint than what was originally offered on your vehicle, I'm sure the shop will have something for your needs.

address the pinion seals with the driveshafts are being built 😉

Yes , that’s what I thought.
However .. when the rig is unloaded and observing the slip yoke depth of engagement into drive shaft, it is bottomed out. My pinion bearings in the third member have end play and a slight leak. A definite vibration occurs when in a non driving or deceleration condition. When driving load is neutral the vibration occurs but goes away when accelerating or decelerating or just maintaining your chosen highway speed. This is the second time I’ve had this issue.
Question of the day, “ How much slip yoke travel should be extended with an unloaded vehicle??

Unloaded... do you mean when the tires are off the ground? IF so it is normal for the DS's to be bottomed out when the axle is at full droop. The axles swing towards the center of the vehicle (away from the shackles) as the suspension travels downwards.

Pinion bearings can definitely case a vibration. Have the third rebuild with new bearings and a solid pinion spacer.

I would ask if your driveshafts were modified for your conversion or if original 85-87 ones were sourced but I guess you asked that originally so you probably don't know. Post up pictures and measurements of what you have and we can compare. I have all versions of 60 DS's here.

Unloaded... do you mean when the tires are off the ground? IF so it is normal for the DS's to be bottomed out when the axle is at full droop. The axles swing towards the center of the vehicle (away from the shackles) as the suspension travels downwards.

Pinion bearings can definitely case a vibration. Have the third rebuild with new bearings and a solid pinion spacer.

I would ask if your driveshafts were modified for your conversion or if original 85-87 ones were sourced but I guess you asked that originally so you probably don't know. Post up pictures and measurements of what you have and we can compare. I have all versions of 60 DS's here.
“Unloaded “ tires on ground no additional loadi load except roof rack , and
Sliders and 3+ bumpers ..
I had already shortened it 1/2 inch during the engine swap .. looks like another shortening is due.
I’ll get the driveline out tonight to address the pinion endplay . Then photo and measure. Then post up .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom