FJ60 accelerator cable. Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I've asked this question before and got some answers but I need more info and pics if anyone has them. I'll explain why.

I bought a 85 FJ60. This came with a weber carb. 3 months after I bought it the accel cable snaped. The truck had a wire going from the carb all the way to the pedal, this wire was attached to the hand throttle hole on top of the pedal, in other word it was set up "ghetto style".

I ordered a cable from the dealership thinking that the cable was going to go into the pedal, but when I got it the part that fits on the carb fit perfectly on the Weber, however the other end of the cable was way different. I did not get the choke or the hand throttle cable.

As I started doing my research I saw I am supposed to have a bellcrank, 2 rods, a bracket etc. On this website I went to the TechLinks area, clicked on the Lit P/N and looked into the 60's body parts. On page 82 there is a diagram of the parts I need. this was verified with a local Toyota dealer. They said the other pages are either diesel or non usa. And the same PDF that is shown here is what they have.

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/pdf/60pdf/60series_body.pdf

The parts that I have on the truck now are PN: 78110, 78198, 78110A.

Everything else I have to get like PN: 78104, 78105, 78130, 78103, 78103A, 78183.

I don't need the Choke or the Hand throttle.

Question is. Where do all the parts that I need go? Where are they mounted on the truck? And where does the cable that comes from the carb to either the bellcrank or the bracket go?

This cable Im talking about is supposed to be PN 78180 on page 78. The cable I got from the dealer was just like that. As you can see on the other pages the part number for the cable is the same but it looks different :bang:

I've never seen how this looks, or how it is supposed to go.
:bang:

If there are any pics on how this goes on the truck they will be appreciated.

Anyone with this issue???

Thanks guys

I had a 38 Weber on my '87.
I used this throttle cable reciever-

Webercablelinkkit.gif

I'm not sure if the cable was made by Weber, I don't remember. I think Man-it's-not-Free sells the same one. I may have gotten it from TPI though. Forgot that too.
Had to drill a few holes in the firewall to screw the ears to. The cable end was "ghetto" ,as you have called it, to the hand throttle hole.

Here's a pic before I sent it to another MUD member. Note the throttle cable setup.

DSCN3399-vi.jpg

Thanks a lot Joe, U've been helpful. I guess after all the researching I've done I come to the conclusion that on the US version on the FJ60 there is not such thing as a throttle cable, it's all through linkages.

Can a 38 Weber carb be conected to the original US FJ60 Throttle body linkage system???

Did the cable snaped on you after you connected it the "ghetto" way???

By looking at the cable on the pic when I attached mine to the carb the part that u have facing to the hole on the hand throttle hole is the one that fits the throttle on the carb. Pretty much saying the set up in the carb is backwards.

Why not ditch the Weber and just go back to stock? All the parts are available and it fits and works like it was made to. If you are running desmogged, send a stock carb off to JimC or Marksoffroad and have them rebuild and desomg for you.

Thanks a lot Joe, U've been helpful. I guess after all the researching I've done I come to the conclusion that on the US version on the FJ60 there is not such thing as a throttle cable, it's all through linkages.

Can a 38 Weber carb be conected to the original US FJ60 Throttle body linkage system???

Did the cable snaped on you after you connected it the "ghetto" way???

By looking at the cable on the pic when I attached mine to the carb the part that u have facing to the hole on the hand throttle hole is the one that fits the throttle on the carb. Pretty much saying the set up in the carb is backwards.

The end of the cable that has a little cast on ball goes to the pedal.
The end that is strait cable needs a double nut set up like the one shown in the top pic to hook it to the carb.
No , mine never broke. If you broke the cable you have done something wrong my friend. She must be rubbing on something metal.

Cruiserdrew. I am try to get this right and at the same time saving some $$$$$. Tuff times my friend. But that has crossed my mind.

Joe. Thanks again. When I purchased the truck the cast on ball was and still is going to the Weber carb. I'll show pics but the weber that on my FJ has a different linkage where the cast on ball fits perfectly on it and the other end with the straight cable was and is going to the pedal. Previous owner had a screw, a clamp and a bolt holding the cable in the pedal. As I told u this is "ghetto style".

I guess I have to make the decision of either getting the OEM US FJ60 pedal carb linkage to work with the Weber or get the Throttle cable receiver from Man-A-fre and figure out how to get the other end of the cable attached to the pedal.

I'll take pics and show you how mine is right now.

You can use all the stock stuff, hit the wrecking yard for the Toyota parts and buy the linkage adapter from Man A Fre. It works perfectly in exactly the same manner as the stock carb did. You will never touch it again. If you must use a cable, hit a motorcyle shop, they always seem to have cable making stuff, especially places that do custom rides, as in Hogs.

Lehi, Will do. Im sick and tired of dealing with this. It'll go back to the stock linkage. That's the problem with modifing vehicle, once you change something, everything else has to change.

Thank you all for your help

Just wait until you put a body lift on your rig. You will be back to a cable.

Lehi, Will do. Im sick and tired of dealing with this. It'll go back to the stock linkage. That's the problem with modifing vehicle, once you change something, everything else has to change.

Thank you all for your help

Ask me how I know. :eek:

D'animal, good comment and it makes complete sense. I called MAF and explained the issue I was having, if you see the first pic I posted the linkage on my Weber is completly different than the Weber 38's that MAF or ony other shop sells for the 60's. That previous owner did this job all wrong. After reviewing the pics I decided that I am going for the cable. Now I have to drill another hole on the firewall because that stupid previous owner drilled the hole too far up and too far to the right to where the hand throttle hole sits on the pedal.

D'animal, good comment and it makes complete sense. I called MAF and explained the issue I was having, if you see the first pic I posted the linkage on my Weber is completly different than the Weber 38's that MAF or ony other shop sells for the 60's. That previous owner did this job all wrong. After reviewing the pics I decided that I am going for the cable. Now I have to drill another hole on the firewall because that stupid previous owner drilled the hole too far up and too far to the right to where the hand throttle hole sits on the pedal.

Lokar makes a really nice throttle cable that comes with all the fittings. I can see the crazy angle at the end of your cable, It won't last long like that. I have a cable now with my V-8, it's the Lokar job, been through 100K miles without a single issue. It still has to go sideways without binding, so I made it do an upward loop to the side if that makes sense. That gave me the placement I needed without the cable binding up on sharp bends. I have seen factory throttle cables make a complete loop around the motor to get to the right place. It's better than trying to force it to do 90 degree bends in a tight space.

Though I've not used one in that application I will second the Lokar throttle cable recommendation. It's a quality product. I've set up 3 of them, two blingy SS types and one black type. Either works well.
You may still need to fabricate tabs & brackets & such, but in the end you'll be happy with the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom