FJ40 Capacitor btw battery bundle & engine (ground) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was doing some radiator & hose work on a 12/79 manufacture date FJ40. I had to remove alternator to install new hoses. I broke a very small wire leading to a ground on the engine block. Other end of wire was to a small silver capacitor (maybe 5/8" long & 1/4" wide) that had a quick disconnect that lead back to a bundle of wires just in front on the battery. Cannot read anything on the capacitor.

Any idea about where to look for a replacement? Or any idea what it does? Or how I could determine the specs to order another?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Here are 2 pix. One shows the capacitor w/ kind of a blue green wire. Other picture is entire part w/ connector ring bolted to engine block, various connectors & the capacitor. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

IMG_1590.jpeg

IMG_1591.jpeg

I've never seen it on a 40... could be a PO add on. It looks like others have found the same.

I've never seen it on a 40... could be a PO add on. It looks like others have found the same.
Seems more like a factory wiring job. Ends up in an original-looking wire bundle just forward of battery.

You sure you need it?

Perhaps a PO relocated the radio condenser from the coil.
1687100588219.png

Perhaps a PO relocated the radio condenser from the coil.
View attachment 3351963

Thanks. Looks about right. Any chance you can see ID markings on it to help me order another? Thanks.

I think it's the same 32 mF capacitor (size) used on the old points ignitions.

vintageteqparts.com. Looks like Matt is shut down to process orders right now. Give him a few days.

That just goes to show me I shouldn't guess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom