FJ40 brakes are kicking my ass!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday I replaced my front drum cylinders on my ‘71 FJ40. I used FC cylinders. Photo included. I can’t get pedal pressure on my brakes! It’s kicking my ass. I adjusted the drums to the point where the wheels wouldn’t turn and then backed off 3 clicks. I put Teflon tape on all 8 bleeder valves. I have a reservoir for the rear brakes and a reservoir for the front brakes. I started at the back passenger side, then went to the rear driver’s side. Then I moved to the front passenger side and finished with the front driver’s side.
I started with the one man bottle with fluid raised about the caliper technique I’ve used on my Dodge several times. No luck. I then used a pressure bleed pump I used on my RS6 to push fluid/air out of each wheel up through the reservoir. I am pushing clean fluid no air. It feels like I am building pressure but then when I get everything buttoned back up I push the pedal and it goes to the floor with little resistance. WTF??? I’ve done this several times over the last two days. Any ideas????

Also…… does anyone have a guess on what brand drum shoes these are just by looking? I haven’t seen a part number. Thanks y’all

IMG_9144.jpeg

IMG_9145.jpeg

IMG_9147.jpeg

Last edited:
I tried grease on the nipple threads, still leaked with my mighty vac brake bleeder. Tried teflon tape, it to leaked about the 3rd crack open to bleed. Finally Aviation Permatex on the threads allowed me to get the brakes bleed on all 8 new cylinders, PIA. Next will be new flex lines and perhaps new hard lines (I plan to have the hard line kit ready to order in case a hard line twists off). I have a new master on and need 2 more drums to go with the new shoes.

So you unscrewed all 8 bleeders valves and applied the permatex gasket and then reinstalled them and then bled them all again? Is there a specific way to bleed each wheel with two bleeder valves? Is there a better bleeder valve other than the screw in type?? What method did you use? Bottle with hose submerged in fluid or pressure bleeder to push fluid up through the reservoir?
Is there a vacuum test for the system?

Last edited:
Backing off 3 clicks all around might be a little much, 2 clicks was right for me. Just for fun, maybe try tightening all adjusters so no tires will turn then try your brake pedal

1st i must say, I've ditched drum brakes a few decades ago, but have followed a lot of threads where folks had problems with bleeding drum brakes. A lot of folks adjust the shoes tight so the w/c pistons cant move then bleed them to force air out. Once bled, then adjust per fsm. You need to start bleeding the wheel cylder that's the farthest away, which would be the left rear. You can isolate where the problem might be by using a pair of vise grips and carefully adjusting them so they stop fluid flow but not crush the flexible rubber hose. If the pedal gets better with the rear hose clamped then you likely have air in the rear and vice versa for the frt. I use the bottle with fluid in it when bleeding alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom