Finally! Some updates on small lift, upgrades, etc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, it seems like forever since I've posted anything in the 60 series forum. Thought some of you might be interested in hearing/seeing where my 1984 BJ60 is at. Although I was on a budget, as usual, more time, effort and money went into it than anticipated. But, still a budget (ghetto?) makeover? The result is very subtle, and in some cases, unnoticeable!

Here's what's new:

1. Unfortunately, an OME lift kit was NOT in the budget, but my friend put together a home made version himself. A mild 2" to 3" lift over the previous ride height was achieved by re-arcing the old leaf springs and adding a few more. Hardly looks like it made a difference. Probably more like the height it would have been when new. ALTHOUGH... there are now 11 leaf springs in the back and 7 in the front with Skyjacker Nitrogen filled shocks all around. New OEM Toyota bushings too. I carried over 900 lbs of topsoil last week and the truck barely squatted down (however the ride is sure stiffer now)!
  2. Euro-spec Hella H4 conversion lights with Piaa bright white street legal bulbs. Professionally aligned. Much improved low and high beam coverage over the old sealed beam stock headlights.
  3. Exedy Unity racing/heavy duty clutch. The old clutch was still OK, but while we were changing all kinds of leaking gaskets and had the tranny out, we decided it was a good time to change the clutch, bearing & machine the flywheel. All that was available (or at least for a reasonable price) was the Exedy clutch. It was an upgrade... I paid for a cheapie and this is what came in.
  4. Downturned tailpipe. Not a biggie, but now the diesel soot stains will go on the ground rather than the wall and/or garage door.
  5. Pyrometer. Installed, but probe still needs to be installed into exhaust manifold. I need someone with a tap & dye to carefully do this for me.
Other recent mods: Sony Xplod stereo with iPod interface, 4 way speakers in the back , 3 way speakers up front, Crimestopper alarm, OEM alternator (long story, don't ask), 30x9.5-15 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO flotation tires.

On the surface, my 60 doesn't look that much different that stock. But, I'd like to think it's had a nice, subtle make-over. I like it. Nothing over the top, but a few nice little goodies to make it that much nicer. Below are a few pics, but if you'd like to see more detailed pics just click here.

before-after.jpg

It doesn't look like much, but I can sure notice it when getting in and driving. 11 leaf springs in the back and 7 up front with Skyjacker Nitrogen filled shocks all around make for a stiffer ride, but much bigger payload capacity and a 2-3" lift over the height it was at before with somewhat saggy suspension. This may be at or slightly higher than the height when the truck was new.

lift.jpg

Close-up of the new (but small) lift. Definitely a bit higher than it was before, but nothing outrageous. Not bad for a budget job.

left-wheel.jpg

Budget-minded suspension upgrade consisted of re-arcing old leaf springs, adding some new (used) ones, also re-arced, OEM Toyota bushings purchased through my friend's father in-law who gets an employee discount and some brand new Skyjacker Nitrogen filled shock absorbers. The 30x9.5-15 BFG A/T KO's were one of my upgrades last year.

fr.jpg

Subtle, but improved suspension. Nothing outrageous, in fact, it barely looks much higher than stock, but is much improved over what was there before.

lr.jpg

Another side view showing the mild lift and also note the new tailpipe with a downturned pipe to prevent diesel soot stains on the garage door now!

high-beams.jpg

Euro-spec Hella H4 conversion headlights with upgraded street legal (55/60W IIRC) Piaa bright white bulbs.

So, you like? Was it worth it? I was planning on taking the BJ60 on a cross-country road trip and was in a hurry and on a budget. This was the result. In the end, I didn't take the BJ60 due to an alternator crisis (LONG story, don't ask).

peterdouglas;332180So said:
Huh??? I'm corn-fused, you were hemming and hawing about driving this truck cross country, didn't drive it due to something with the alternator which I'm not supposed to ask, then you get all spendy on it???

Or are we talk'in about 2 different BJ60's?

And she does look good, pretty rust free. congrats!!!

Rick

I like it - Q ship style for sure! Nothing like taking a cruiser and making it just a little bit better than the original engineers did...in my book that's cool!

Kelowna's cool too! I had an epic bike stage race there once...

Huh??? I'm corn-fused, you were hemming and hawing about driving this truck cross country, didn't drive it due to something with the alternator which I'm not supposed to ask, then you get all spendy on it???

Or are we talk'in about 2 different BJ60's?

And she does look good, pretty rust free. congrats!!!

Rick

No... same BJ60. I did all that work on it just prior to the originally anticipated departure out west in October last year. Then I had the alternator issues and ended up leaving without the BJ60. I left the truck with my parents, and was really fed up with it, even signed over the registration and told them to sell it for whatever they could get. But, the truck is still here. Haven't done a thing to it since returning. I haven't seen or driven it in 6 months.

So yeah, all that work was done last year, I just never got around to taking pics or posting anything on it then. There's not much rust considering it's been an Ontario/Quebec truck its whole life, but there is some.

I like it - Q ship style for sure! Nothing like taking a cruiser and making it just a little bit better than the original engineers did...in my book that's cool!

Kelowna's cool too! I had an epic bike stage race there once...

Yes, I like the idea of keeping it subtle, not too far from stock, but just a bit better. That, and my budget doesn't allow for anything wild and crazy! :D

Kelowna's great. I see quite a few Cruisers of all vintages there. Great place to live. I hope to be able to stay there, but my parents aren't doing so well, so I may need to return to Barrie to be with them. If so, I'll sell the diesel Jetta and load up the propane powered Ford Errorstar I just bought and come back. I got the van because I needed something with cargo space and wasn't sure if or when I'd bring the Land Cruiser out. If the never-ending repairs on the BJ60 come to an end, I'd love to keep it, regardless of where I'll be living.

Last edited:
Alright, now I'm getting the picture: This work was done before you left and now you are back and posted some pics.

Soooo, the alternator. Is it still an issue? I know you said don't ask, but what the hell.

Rick

Yep, that's pretty much the way it is... I was all ready to drive the BJ60 out west. Got the suspension upgraded, fixed a bunch of leaks, some other things, put in a new clutch, stereo, alarm, etc. I was all ready to go, when a couple of days before I was to leave, the alternator blew up.

OK, so you just HAVE to know, don't you? :flipoff2: It's kind of a sore spot, but here goes. And a LONG story. The alternator was so badly damaged, it could not be rebuilt. On short notice, I could not track down a used one anywhere. Someone suggested rigging up a GM alternator with an electric pump for the oil pump (since my 3B has a set-up where the alternator also propels the oil pump, not sure if other Toyota diesels are like this too). But, for the cost and effort, I decided to do it the right way and get an OEM Toyota alternator at a cost of $440.

The first one was defective. Right from Toyota. Brand new, not rebuilt. The second alternator was also defective. By this point I was getting delayed and very frustrated. I'd already sunk a ton of money into the BJ60, thought it was in tip-top shape for the cross-country drive and then this. So then I just got really p!ssed off, signed the registration and told my parents to sell it for whatever they could get.

I left most of my stuff behind that I had intended to take in the BJ60 and went out to Kelowna. My parents then received a THIRD alternator from Toyota after I had left. And of course, it was defective too. Toyota sent it to an independent shop to be tested to confirm it was defective, and it was. The local dealer and my parents worked with Toyota Canada. Not sure exactly what happened, but three weeks later, they got the 4th alternator, direct from Japan I believe. It was tested, found to be OK, and installed. It's been OK since then. My father drove the BJ60 a bit after that but got freaked out by the new and seemingly large oil and coolant leaks. And that brings us to where I wrote about in the post above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom