Finally, fender rails for the FJC... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mtbcoach

Threads
Doing similar to what Rick did to Dig-Dug, I finally got off my @ss and put these things on top of the priority list.

Mine are made of 1.75/.120 wall DOM tubing, same material as the Demello sliders. My goal with these is to give a first line of defense in the rocks and trees I frequent. They are not meant to fully support the weight of the vehicle, just give me a bit of notice when things get tight.

First comes the front. The rears are all bent up and ready to be fit into place. But, I couldn't wait and had to share the completed (not painted obviously) front set.

Unlike Rick's set up, I did attach mine to the front bumper. I first boxed in the Demello front bumper corner with 3/16" steel plate, made the little cup to receive the tube clamps, so I can detach everything, assuming I'll damage something and want to remove the front bumper, sliders or rub rails for paint/repair.

Driver's side front...
fenderrails-09.jpg

fenderrails-05.jpg

fenderrails-10.jpg

fenderrails-11.jpg

The passenger side was supposed to be just like the driver's side, until one of my "friends" suggested I move it to help protect the snorkel. So, I had to adjust things to move it out just enough to give it some protection.

Passenger side front...
fenderrails-1.jpg

fenderrails-2.jpg

fenderrails-02.jpg

If all goes well with the rear, I'll post pics of them tomorrow...

Last edited:
As with all you do Jerry, beautifully thought out and brilliantly executed! I look forward to seeing them soon, when they're all done!

very nice, indeed.

wanna practice on a set for an 80 ???

looks good; the last pic shows the only point i might scrutinize with the tube weld tapering before welding to the bumper. Is that strong enough, could you butt weld a larger pipe to the bumper plate then insert your tube end into it and weld at length. Just critiquing by habit, im no welder and Im sure you got a good reason. And they look great.

The infamous daniel pine will be off you list of worries. :)

Thanks, wait till you see the back...

The "cup" is made of the tubing that I sliced, inserted the tube clamp and went off to the anvil with a hammer. I bent the tubing around the tube clamp and welded the slices. So, the cup is .120 wall, sleeved inside with a solid steel plug, expertly welded to 3/16" plate. I'm good with that joint. I thought about putting more of a "ramp" to it, mostly to not have a catch point than strength.

I'm good with it. I used the Hi-lift and jacked the front tire off the ground, new jack points too...

Nice job Jerry, you get to try them out this weekend at Harlan. I was wondering what you were up to on you "man of leisure" vacation :)

Looks good man! Let's see the rears!

Thanks again for all the compliments.

Here is the final product. I painted them with the same bed liner I've been using on the sliders and skid plates. It doesn't look the best but it is functional and easy to repair/repaint.

Here is the "whole package"...
fenderrails-b-1.jpg

fenderrails-b-2.jpg

fenderrails-a-1.jpg

fenderrails-a-2.jpg

fenderrails-a-7.jpg

fenderrails-a-6.jpg

fenderrails-a-4.jpg

that's all folks...:beer:

Like I said last night Jerry, excellent job following the body line. Have fun on your trip and keep her right side up :)

:beer: R

Like I said last night Jerry, excellent job following the body line. Have fun on your trip and keep her right side up :)

:beer: R

Thanks. I like that they are invisible from the side view. I don't plan on doing anything crazy, it really is just a mall crawler anyway. :hillbilly:

It is funny how much the extra weight is felt. I didn't think I would, 30' of tubing would be noticeable spread around the truck...

They look good in person. I do not know if Jerry hit anything with them this weekend but I did not see and bark on them or paint removed. We had a great time at Harlan. Jerry even bought a new tool!

They look good in person. I do not know if Jerry hit anything with them this weekend but I did not see and bark on them or paint removed. We had a great time at Harlan. Jerry even bought a new tool!

I tried to hit something, from attempting "making time" to the rally test session to dropping into "grapevine", I did my best to find a flaw with them.

New tool? Who can't use a cut-off wheel for trail use?

Thanks again for everything, great time, great company, great place to wheel...

Is the frame not straight behind the wheelwell there in the front? Any thoughts of an r shaped piece going from frame to the rail to keep it from pushing in towards the fender?

....r===()
||//
||

ASCII art but viewing from the front bumper, drivers side r shape to the exo?

I love how it blends in from 20' away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom