FAQ's of the 40th Ann Ed. - place to post our stupid & silly Q's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
Threads
I'll start this -

Bought a 40th (woo-hoo, right - we have an interior that's an oddball, and a few tags / wheel paint different -- we all know the finer points I suspect, but even if you're new, we can make this a 40th specific thread)

I'll open as a long term 80 owner here's a basic overview of the 40th trim level we have 'exclusive' to our 80's:

Exterior:

Sage paint exclusive to these, not yet sure if any other paint was an option (heard a green was also a NA market option, yet to see one here on forum)

-"Shadowline pkg" emblems - your front grill emblem (the bean/sombrero), the rear emblem below the keyed port, the rear "full time 4wd" emblem, and the upper hatch "toyota LANDCRUISER" emblem are all a darker color than anything beside the "Collector Edition" - CE's have the same.
-darker color 'D' inset paint in the wheels - instead of a silver paint, you would call the paint 'charcoal' - closer to matching the above mentioned emblems. 'Charcoal pearl' is the name we seem to call it in the forum.

-40th AE will have a front fender decal just behind the arch, if still in original paint

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interior:

Badge on center console stating 40th Ed, next to transfer case shift lever - xxxx/xxxx made.
(Mine was w/o the badge, you can see them in other pics)

2 tone leather seat interior that includes:
-deeper brown color dashboard than standard 'tan'
-matching darker column plastic & steering wheel including airbag
-2 tone seats, not sure yet what other/any 80's share
-there were also 40th Ed floormats available, back in the day

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm starting this thread as a FAQ for guys who maybe buy / want to know - what the differences are. The bottom line is it's paint & stickers, and oddball interior colors the basic tan/grey the LC's / LX450's don't share.

If we can find or anyone knows what we can scavenge out of other Lexus /'oddball 'Yotas to help keep these in primo shape, so be it.

Seems alot (maybe a higher % of these) - got the factory e-locker differentials, can't say for sure as my knowledge is what we see here & on the internet FS ads.

Add what you all know y'all!

:hmm:

As a new 40th guy - I can say my 1st question about the wear on mine would have been about the cosmetics / refresh on my steering wheel.

Had I not had a few 80's prior to my current & prob permanent pair - I'd not have known the 40th dash/column/wheel were a darker brown than LC/450 tan.

So since my prev owner decided to paint the airbag/wheel shrouding black to match the chachi grip he installed (!!!) - I'd have just bought a tan wheel thinking it was the right thing. And been out a good $300 with a tan mismatch setup.

So rather than keeping what I know as different to myself, I thought a really approachable thread dealing with the pure cosmetics that make a 40th might help the influx of newer owners, since not all of the members here came from the Spectre VBB transition.

Also, if any longtime 40th owners can chime in on anything I'm missing - let's hear it! -I bank on me missing a detail or 2 of the cosmetics that make the 40th in totality.

We who have been here a few weeks or whatever know the 40th was a cosmetics thing, but some may have questions about specifics of it all - and while I'm not a 40th expert, I know a few things when it comes to the 80's in general - so a thread on approachable topics involving these specific 80's might be worthwhile.

The 40th and CE models also came with the Automatic climate control. (this also came on the LX450).

Not really sure if the other LC's have it but the 40th has the radio security system thing (whatever you want you call it).

The 40th did come in green, antique sage metallic and green.

didnt all of them come with the wood grain package as well?

Are the bumpers the same color as the other 95, 96, and 97s?

Yes to wood and yes to bumpers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom