Fab area help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys!

Ive spent the last 2 days organizing and moving stuff around in my garage to have a dedicated "fab area" The area where the 2 welders are in the pic. I plan to put a drill press beside the cabinet and bench. It just seems like so much wasted space overhead im not sure what to put there. Im going to make a 3'x3' fab table on castors so i can wheel it out to work off of etc. then tuck it away when done. i just wanna maximize my space.

Thanks for any advice!

Make a "L" shaped or standard rolling welding/work table. It will serve as a nice stationary area for smaller projects and then can be moved out to accommodate larger ones.

Add a couple 2" receivers for vises, 3rd members, misc clamping... storage underneath for whatever you dream up.

attachment.php

img0661jm.jpg

Yah great ideas!

How about the space above the bench to the ceiling I have 12ft ceilings

What type of fab work are going to do?

I prefer to have my plasma cutter and welder away from my grinding area.

I prefer to not grind inside my shed. The grinding dust coats everything in the area.

I like your original idea of a movable welding/prep table that you can move outside to work and shove it in the corner when not in use.

Just general work nothing heavy or extensive. I'm leaning towards a small table on Castors and a metal L shaped bench for general work. A nice vise for holding stuff I'll be tigging.

Should I go more cabinets over top?

Hi Vary Vo.

Here a few pictures of some ideas for overhead space.
The "fab" table is a low slung table with casters. The frame is 2x wood with 1'' thick 48x48 ply top which screwed to the frame. Easy to remove to put some other jig or fixture to hold some of your are fabbing jigs as needed. Wood is cheap and it doesn't matter if it gets a little burned from welding and grinding. It is easy to use wood screws to hold bracket etc welding. I just put the under floor ribs on a 40 floor panel. I screwed the panel down to the ply panel to keep it straight and flat to weld the cross ribs to the panel. used the plug weld holes for for the screws so no unnecessary holes needed in the floor panel.
Also have the regular welding bench with a vise and a ground cable attached to welding machine plug.

Just a few idea's. Don't rush your build and think you need everything at once. Build to suit the need and you will use things more rather than just collecting stuff. Withe 12 foot ceiling height you may be a little more limited for the vertical compressor mount. A horizontal tank compressor would work fine. My ceiling is 14 foot plus. I my wood shop (attached to the back of the metal shop) I have and office upstairs and used a 4'' RHS for the floor joists to save height. I have enough height underneath and just enough height in the office that i still have head clearance ( I'm 5' 11'').

Hope this helps.

Thanks jb
Fab table.jpg
Overhead self.jpg
Overhead shelf 2.jpg
Compressor mounted.jpg

Yes ive already planned out where the horizontal compressor will go up on the wall to save space. Nice looking shop yah got!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom