F engine and 33's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

73lndcrsr

SILVER Star
Threads
I have searched the archives and can't find an anser to my question.

Can a healthy F (maybe slightly modified) pull the FJ40 with 33's with stock gearing on the highway? I don't have a problem in low range off road now even with 33's. If I go to 35's I assume I will need diff gears.
My engine is tired and needs to be rebuilt. I am considering a 350 swap, but I am not sure I want to undertake that mod.

Thanks for any help here.

Yes it can. I have the F with stock gearing and 33" BFG Muds. I have no problems on the highway other than the wind resistance pulling me all over the damn road. I might suggest doing an HEI swap and maybe adding a header. That should get you by until you can gather everything you need for a 350 swap. I plan on running my F until it dies (no time soon) then I might consider a SBC swap. Good luck!

Yes, even a stock F can pull 33's (cant tell you how well, but my 2F pulled them fine for 4 years).

35's are iffy, depending on your altitude and what kind of wheeling you do, I only upgraded my gears because I wanted increased off road performance.

Do the V8, its a fun project and worth it if you take your time and do it correctly (Search and ask lots of questions).

Wow I just sold myself on a V8 swap. :eek:

Yes I would have to agree ,do the engine swap to the 350.Take you're time and go through it but It has taught me a lot and you find out just how creative you really are and when Its done you can say you did It. :D :D :D :D :D[glow=red,2,300]TEXT[/glow]

Thanks for the info. :D

I have a '78 FJ40 with the stock 2F, 4 speed, & 4.10's in it, and it pushes my 33's down the road just fine. In fact, I can start out in second relatively easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom