El cheapo center console (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmmm, will be hard to explain without pictures. First off, I would probably go buy an actual hinge, and hinge the lid instead of turning the back latch into a hinge, No matter how you do it (at least that I can see), you end up with a floppy lid when open because of the way the latch attaches. Also, I would do the cupholders diferrent. I got ahead of myself, and wanted to use the factory cupholders and the bracket to raise it up. Instead of cutting the bracket and welding it to the can, I cut the can so teh bracket would fit inside the can (d'oh) That was just a dumb mistake on my part, but it will still work (unless you want it waterproof). Other than that, I like the way it turned out. I promised more pictures, but didn't post them yet, I'll do it tonight when I get home. I still need to upholster the top, and install it. The top will be black vinyl with 2-3 inches of cushion. I used ultra flat black krylon paint over a light layer of primer. Laid down smooth and looks good.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I have some ideas I'd like to try in the future on another project, but this works for now, but since you asked here they are.

Installed mine will still have plenty of room before interferring with the shifter, so I thought about cutting the bottome front at an angle (like theplastic console in my yukon) this would allow it to tuck up a little further, of course you would have to patch the big gaping hole in the bottom

I would attach cupholders on the side close to factory location (but higher)

I thought about putting cupholders on the back fro the rear passengers (again, like my yukon), but didn't find any I liked.

I'm still trying to figure out a good way to do a stereo compartment. If I figure taht out, I'll let y'all know. Again, theft isn't really a concern for me, but I can see how a locked stereo would be beneficial for some, so I've been thinking about it.

My favorite part was cutting off the side tabs. It opens and closes much easier without them (the sides of the lid that come down over the can...again if you're going for waterproof...not a good idea) You can see it in one of my pics above.

My other favorite part...the custom silver landcruiser logo on the side (pics to come)

We need pics!!!

Just calm yourself down. I don't have my camera at work, I'll post up when I get home.

I really like the ingenuity you guys have put into some of these ideas. I went the easy route and bought mine. It was only about 60 bucks and required nothing more than a couple brackets being bolted to the floor. A good alternative in my opinion.
consoles320.jpg

Other console

I really like the ingenuity you guys have put into some of these ideas. I went the easy route and bought mine. It was only about 60 bucks and required nothing more than a couple brackets being bolted to the floor. A good alternative in my opinion.

Source or web link? Also, is that one of the thermoplastic (lightweight) or some sort of unobtanium (metal).

Glenn

might be from summit.... i looked at every after market console in the world a while back and that one seems like i looked at it

Pics of my console

Well here it is, installed on my kitchen table, let me know what you think
console.jpg
can console.jpg
cupholders1.jpg

And one more...the intent was to have it look like the LC logo, but almost like it was chiseled out of the box revealing something shiny underneath (a little more crude). Don't know if that worked, but I still like it.
cruiser logo.jpg

fowl could we get pics of it open? im having a hard time picturing how it will sit open post welding

Sure, but I haven't painted the inside yet. I don't really like how it sits open. It kind of falls back on the latch. I've been playing with some other ideas, but don't have anything yet. I'll take some pics tonight or tomorrow as time permits. Hopefully, I'll get it installed tomorrow. My wife has other plans for me though

Oh yeah, the scratch on the top is from flipping it over before the paint had a chance to really harden to drill the mounting holes, but it will get covered with upholstery anyway, so no biggie. You can't see it in the pics but the cupholders are supported by the original bracket, and two bolts that go through the cupholders and into the can. they should be solid once they are tightened down.

The LC logo, I laid down some silver then taped off the LC logo using a rough template that I had made up (I taped then laid the template down, then used and scalpel to trim it out (I work at the hospital, scalpels are surprisingly easy to come by). Then painted black over top, peeled away the paint and wallah, custom LC logo.

picked one of these up at the army/navy surplus a few months ago after seeing the original post and it's been one of the best mods made to my rig. only $20 for all that additional storage and a place to lean. not to mention the added security if i ever put a loop on it to lock. only problem i've experienced if the binding mentioned in earlier post but it only a minor annoyance. i will need to do something to pad the top before the Texas summer hits b/c it already gets pretty damned hot on a sunny day.

You know a couple extra rear badges that might look good on there, I do like your "chiseled" look though. Nice job.

And one more...the intent was to have it look like the LC logo, but almost like it was chiseled out of the box revealing something shiny underneath (a little more crude). Don't know if that worked, but I still like it.
View attachment 316048

I like that logo idea... might have to steal that.

I got 2 FAT50s.. and I'm going to chop the bottom one, and face it backwards, so it flips forward.
The bottom half-can will mainly have electronic wiring, for additional camping 12V and USB, and the rear
heater fan switch, and maybe some other secret goodies. The top can will be full size, and corner/tack
welded to the lid of the bottom can, and open forward, like most standard consoles.

I'm going to try to put Tuffy cup holders on front and back. And I might even have room to bolt the
driver-side small square compartments from the OEM toy console.

There seems to be a lot of room in front still. I might try to put a fire extinguisher across the
center.. if it will fit and play nice with the cup holders, and the shifter, and the brake handle.

Thanks for all the great ideas! I'll post up pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom