Doug Demuros thoughts on killing the LC. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I respect this guys opinion when it comes to cars so I thought it was worth posting. Feel free to add it to an existing thread if needed.

This was great. Never thought of myself as "stealth wealth" before lol. I'm more the beneficiary of that's crowds discarded LCs. What really made me chuckle was that this reminded me of when, 15 or so years ago, I found a used LX that I seriously considered buying but one of the negatives to me was the LX badging. During the negotiations with the dealer on the LX (had been a trade in), I asked what the cost would be to get replacement Toyota badging and would they replaced the badges. The guy looked at me like I was from Mars. He said he could get me the Toyota badges but he could not replace the LX badges with them. I would have to do that myself.

Last edited:
My personal taste was the understated look of the 2013 through 2015 LX 570 I would not of bought a 2016 or newer LX. I do love the look of the 2016+ Land Cruiser. And the next important factor was that the LX 570 comes with the best substantial hydraulically control suspension on the market. Not so much for the LX470. JMHO

100% agree w/ Doug - Toyota screwed up when they cancelled the FJ. They missed a HUGE opportunity by a year or two.

Both Lexus and Toyota service is awful for the LC/LX. I think as a group we have a high standard given the longevity of the vehicle and we tend to obsess. But these vehicles bring about the laziness of mechanics at the dealer that would prefer to do a Camry/ES350 oil change. There is zero pride in their work.

100% agree w/ Doug - Toyota screwed up when they cancelled the FJ. They missed a HUGE opportunity by a year or two.

Both Lexus and Toyota service is awful for the LC/LX. I think as a group we have a high standard given the longevity of the vehicle and we tend to obsess. But these vehicles bring about the laziness of mechanics at the dealer that would prefer to do a Camry/ES350 oil change. There is zero pride in their work.
So interesting you say that my Lexus dealer only has certified tech do oil and filter changes and they pay them based on the vehicle and they pay them more to do an LX 570 then they Pay them to do say an ES 350 based on the work involved. I think when there’s a problem we’re just running into human problems some people have good days sometimes bad days some people aren’t as good at their jobs as others

So interesting you say that my Lexus dealer only has certified tech do oil and filter changes and they pay them based on the vehicle and they pay them more to do an LX 570 then they Pay them to do say an ES 350 based on the work involved. I think when there’s a problem we’re just running into human problems some people have good days sometimes bad days some people aren’t as good at their jobs as others
I'm glad you have a good experience. I wish mine was the same. I would recommend people crawl under to see if their drive shafts have been lubricated. That is my indicator of an individual with pride or just trying to speed through things. I personally no longer take mine to a dealer for routine maintenance.

I generally think his videos are corny and it’s stilly he bought an Lr4. But he was unashamed to say what the LC was and why he loves it in his review back in 2017.

Pretty broad brush stroke there. I have had outstanding service from both my local Lexus and Toyota dealers. That being said, i have had horrible experiences at another local Toyota dealer and will never ever be back.

I'm glad you have a good experience. I wish mine was the same. I would recommend people crawl under to see if their drive shafts have been lubricated. That is my indicator of an individual with pride or just trying to speed through things. I personally no longer take mine to a dealer for routine maintenance.
Are you paying them for a lube? Is it one the order? If not, wont get done.

Are you paying them for a lube? Is it one the order? If not, wont get done.
Since we bought certified i took it in for the 15k service which was free. Asked the advisor if they were going to perform everything on the Lexus 15k list in the book including the torquing of the drive shaft and lube. When i got home i crawled under to check. No dice.

Dont mean to Hijack the thread - I 100% agree w/ Doug here and hope the LC comes back again.

I find I have to pay extra for the driveshaft to be completely lubed since They have to takeoff the front skid plate it’s not much money but you have to make sure they understand otherwise they just hit the visible verts. I always have them do a Blackstone oil analysis and give me the old oil filter in a plastic bag that way I know that you did everything and I know I’m real particular. I didn’t mean I haven’t had poor experiences at Lexus with an oil filter change where they spilled oil all over everything and didn’t clean it up and I had to bring it back and have them detail under the car. I run 43 pounds of air in my BFG KO2’s and I’ve had them put my air pressure down to 32 I check all the stuff before I leave, so they had to come back out and put 43 i’m now only driving approximately 3000 miles a year so I will be getting oil changes once every two years so not a big hassle.

Yeah this is the second review I've seen from this guy about the LC. I have no idea if he's right or wrong but one thing I'm sure of is that I find his constant focus on the cost of the LC obnoxious as hell. The other video I saw was that way also. It's just obnoxious.

Yeah this is the second review I've seen from this guy about the LC. I have no idea if he's right or wrong but one thing I'm sure of is that I find his constant focus on the cost of the LC obnoxious as hell. The other video I saw was that way also. It's just obnoxious.
That's because he's obsesses with his Land Rover......there is no help for him. I can't help but laugh at the guys from TFL that were in love with their Defender until not 1 but 2 of them fell apart.

That's because he's obsesses with his Land Rover......there is no help for him. I can't help but laugh at the guys from TFL that were in love with their Defender until not 1 but 2 of them fell apart.
I thought 3 fell apart no?

Like most of the big name reviewers he's way too obsessed with tech features and funny hidden gadgets. I have never taken him or his reviews seriously and I put him in with the likes of Scotty Kilmer, entertaining but not an authority.

Like most of the big name reviewers he's way too obsessed with tech features and funny hidden gadgets. I have never taken him or his reviews seriously and I put him in with the likes of Scotty Kilmer, entertaining but not an authority.
In Doug's defense, that's his entire schtick, and what he's built the following that he has now on. I enjoy watching his videos, but I've never thought of taking any of his videos as anything beyond entertainment, and to my knowledge Doug doesn't brand himself as any authority like Scotty seems to. If I'm watching a video to help me make an informed purchase decision, I'd be watching a video by Savagegeese or someone similar.

At least Lexus gives you a loaner. That was a big plus for me when choosing an LX. over an LC (plus price and AHC)
That and my previous experiences with the local Toyota dealer .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom