Don't know what else to do (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:bang: so I've searched the forums and read numerous threads and tried all but about 4 things for the 3FE
1) fuel pressure regulator
2) Fuel pressure damper
3) Timing
4) dizzy cap & rotor
So here's what I've done so far, fuel pump, checked and reset TPS sensor, checked MAF sensor and all resistances are good, Checked for Vacuum leaks all around, all are good unless the nut on top of the air filter housing would be the cause.(doubt it). recently i replaced all the plastic and rubber o-rings for the fuel injectors. dropped and cleaned the tank. new fuel filter. new plugs, wires.

I'm clueless about what else there is i could do. i don't want to just throw parts at it. it has poor acceleration and no power past 1/4 throttle yet i can stick it to 3000 rpms in neutral and park with no misses or problems.

Anybody out there that can help me narrow this down? i really don't know what else to check or replace and like i said i don't wish to throw parts at it and hope i get it. :crybaby: :confused: any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
-Shawn

so does noone have any info on this problem? 38 views and no insite?

trans is good. compression is a good idea. ill check that. but could that really be the only problem?

If it was mine, I'd put a fuel pressure gauge on it first, and watch what fuel pressure's doing when it loses power.

Then yes, compression.

and remove all the big flexy rubber hoses between the AFM and the throttle body
and REALLY check them for cracks....

Then start checking what the ecu's seeing for air flow, especially. But also engine temp, etc. The FSM
has enough in it to explain how to do all that...

And finally, have the injectors checked and cleaned, if all else is OK.

hth

t

2 things come to mind,

maybe place on jack stands and try to drive and see if there is resistance anywhere in the driveline. park brake not releasing? caliper not releasing?

plugged/backed up exhaust??

no other real help

My bet is on clogged catalytic converters.

all good info. thanks to everyone for the suggestions. ill look into all of them and report back when i know more
-Shawn

Check my latest thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/741216-fj62-heavy-hesitation-tranny-bucking-a440f.html

The local guys are suggesting fuel, fuel fuel issues. I haven't solved this problem yet, but it only occurred 'under load'. First order of business is changing the fuel filter in the engine bay to OEM. It's 'new' ish, but aftermarket. While I'm at it I'm going to take a gas sample by jumping the pump at the junction box to get some fuel out of the tank in a jar, let it settle, and take a look at it.

Als will br checking bolt on distributor to see if it lost timing somehow. Last resort is dropping the tank to check the new pump and sock for debris...my guys tend to doubt that's the issue but I could've gotten bad gas.

Also plan on pulling injectors and sending them out for cleaning and flow check. Local shop does it for $20 per...good deal!

My problem happened all of a sudden so we're all guessing a fuel supply problem. Runs fine in Park, even on a straight, but uphill or with any load and it just dies.

Keep me posted.

Nick

I thought my issue was fuel related, so I added a pressure gauge and it's a constant 40 psi.

My problem was a leaking EGR valve. I removed it and tested it to confirm it was in fact blown through, and made a block off plate in order to keep it off. Best fix I've done to the truck so far. Fixed all of my hesitation issues.

Cory

Sounds like your retarded(LOL), I mean your timing is retarded.:D:D:cheers:

OP not doubting looking at fuel for your problem but could you give some more info about your cruiser? Last tune up/servicing, how many miles that type of thing. When is the last time you check the ignition equipment? Have you looked at your throttle body and linkage,? I am assuming no check engine light. Anything weird prior to the issue showing up?

I thought my issue was fuel related, so I added a pressure gauge and it's a constant 40 psi.

My problem was a leaking EGR valve. I removed it and tested it to confirm it was in fact blown through, and made a block off plate in order to keep it off. Best fix I've done to the truck so far. Fixed all of my hesitation issues.

Cory

How did you confirm that your EGR Valve was blown through?
I'd like to test mine.

When dealing with a low power complaint, the basic things to check first are:
Codes?
Does t-body get WOT when pedal is floored?
Air filter clean & present?
AFM door moves free & smooth?
Base timing and advance OK?
Plug wires & cap & rotor & plugs good? (note that replacing good used Toyota parts w. new chicomm vatozone junk is not a valid test)
Fuel pressure at idle and WOT?

The above tests will determine the rest of the repair/diagnosis path.

I'm clueless about what else there is i could do. i don't want to just throw parts at it. it has poor acceleration and no power past 1/4 throttle yet i can stick it to 3000 rpms in neutral and park with no misses or problems.

Need a little more description of the problem. Does the engine stumble when you go over 1/4 throttle under load? Does the tach show rpm continuing to climb or does it die above 1/4? It could be upshifting way too early and lugging.

of course, following Jims suggestions is mandatory, but don't discount a clogged exhaust tract if everything else checks out. I have seen similar behavior from several vehicles with clogged exhausts.....

it happens in any gear, go to get up to speed on the street and give it more than just a pinch of throttle and it will fall on its face till i let the throttle back down. especially difficult on hills but even on straight roads i cant get to more than 25-30 MPH because of not being abe to give it more skinny pedal. tach is nice and steady throughout all of this with no spikes or excessive climbing, and all readings are good with no codes. yesterday tho i went out to look at it and there was a puddle of trans fluid and now im wondering if that might have something to do with it.

This all started after i replaced the plastic seats and o-rings for the fuel injectors. before this it was all normal and i had takin it on a 400 mile trip to the mountains with not a single problem. i know that i did the seats right because i follwed the fsm to a T. i made a fuel pressure gauge and it read with a steady 32 psi even when i depressed the button for discharge.

Im also pretty sure that after the front end rebuild that nothing inside there would be holding it back. e brake works good and releases good as well, but that puddle of trans fluid bothers me.

if i go 1/2 or 3/4 throttle it will bog but stay at a slow steady pace till i release it back down, then shifts and accelerates still rather slowly. absolutely no power on uphill.

These transmissions are EXTREMELY finicky about fluid levels. Check the level and see if it's within spec's

You say trans is "ok" - how did you qualify that? Because it shifts gears?

If your torque converter is locked up you might have trouble getting going, and feel like you have no power.

Just a thought, I am by no means an automatic tranny mechanic, just trying to think outside the box... :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom