dog attacked my dog (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

this thread sucks...i was expecting to read bout how a dog got capped in the head. Not dribbling self-help bull**** spilling from Tofu's anus...ugh.

The brief time I've been on chat I have seen you guys get a bit harsh on tofu. However the guy is quite opinionated so many times he is asking for debates that don't end well.

I wonder what Cesar the dog whisperer would have to say about aggressive dogs....I think he thinks there are no bad dogs but weak dog owners....I wonder how successful he can be a educating the bully breeds like the pit bulls. I also wonder how real his show is or was....

images

tofu, I'm going to make an observation.

if a large group thinks you are constantly wrong or are a douchebag, but YOU think everyone is wrong or picking on you, odds are, the group is correct ;)

and have a nice day

Heh, your desperation to be right is fun to poke at when you're obviously wrong and can't admit it.

Tenacity is not the same as desperation. Being right is my stock. Arguing with half-wits is my vice. When I am wrong, I fess up.

tofu, I'm going to make an observation.

if a large group thinks you are constantly wrong or are a douchebag, but YOU think everyone is wrong or picking on you, odds are, the group is correct ;)

and have a nice day

That's 100% correct, all things being equal and under normal circumstances. But here, on this and other subjects, things aren't equal, and circumstances are not normal. I won't argue banking, I won't argue very deeply about politics, I won't argue about things which are not my forte. You should not argue about animal behavior.

If a group is comprised by a bunch of lay people with uninformed, "folk" opinions and don't like what they are being told and they reject it, it doesn't mean that what they're hearing is wrong.

Further, if the group consistently finds a person to be "wrong" because they do not like him, or find his perspective objectionable in general, and CAN'T ELABORATE on why they think he's wrong, then they are just a peanut gallery of nay-sayers.

Don't characterize me or my opinions as wrong, ARGUE your points and debate and prove I am wrong.

Or, alternatively, you can STFU.

this thread sucks...i was expecting to read bout how a dog got capped in the head. Not dribbling self-help bull**** spilling from Tofu's anus...ugh.

Another one..

The brief time I've been on chat I have seen you guys get a bit harsh on tofu. However the guy is quite opinionated so many times he is asking for debates that don't end well.

I wonder what Cesar the dog whisperer would have to say about aggressive dogs....I think he thinks there are no bad dogs but weak dog owners....I wonder how successful he can be a educating the bully breeds like the pit bulls. I also wonder how real his show is or was....

images
I appreciate the fresh breeze of reason and intelligence.

Milan is a controversial figure in the animal behavior field. He uses many methods that are frowned upon as inappropriate and unnecessary, but he knows dogs, that's for sure.

sorry dude. i just couldn't resist

i know about dogs. i've had many different kinds...from mutts to very expensive purebreds.
and i've read many books on breeds and behavior..if i like a subject i study it

dogs are tame animals....but they're animals. instinct causes them to bite in any circumstance where they feel uncomfortable, threatened,scared, dominant, hungry, territorial, etc. they're dogs...they want to bite..all of them, not just pits.
however, in many cases, the biting instinct has been controlled through breeding and/or socialization. but it is there. like the lab that bit flyrod's kid... it's there. (labs are the bitingest dogs because people think they're nice. pits probably would be, but people don't let their kids pet them..pits do account for the most damage per bite incident, though)
now, fighting dogs, it hasn't been bred out. its there. and that little thing called instinct/breeding in the back of that pit's brain is screaming for it to bite....dog/cat/little boy/old lady.....doesn't matter., it wants to bite it, shake it, and kill it. socialization may keep it from biting, but it wants to. and any little thing could make it revert to its instinct
if a dog bites a person in a meaningful way or it shows uncontrollable agression, it should be put down. end of story.

now, since you've scared me so much, i'm gonna stfu ;)

I love my golden retarded. He's been one of the best dogs I've ever owned. Never shown any sign of aggression towards people. He's been through both of my boys pulling on his ears and riding him like a horse.

Last week he raised a lip at my daughter for doing the exact same thing my boys have done for years.

It does show up in dogs that haven't shown it before.

I'm fortunate that I have a friend in the sticks that will take him when it's time; I'd hate to shoot him.

sorry dude. i just couldn't resist

i know about dogs. i've had many different kinds...from mutts to very expensive purebreds.
and i've read many books on breeds and behavior..if i like a subject i study it

dogs are tame animals....but they're animals. instinct causes them to bite in any circumstance where they feel uncomfortable, threatened,scared, dominant, hungry, territorial, etc. they're dogs...they want to bite..all of them, not just pits.
however, in many cases, the biting instinct has been controlled through breeding and/or socialization. but it is there. like the lab that bit flyrod's kid... it's there. (labs are the bitingest dogs because people think they're nice. pits probably would be, but people don't let their kids pet them..pits do account for the most damage per bite incident, though)
now, fighting dogs, it hasn't been bred out. its there. and that little thing called instinct/breeding in the back of that pit's brain is screaming for it to bite....dog/cat/little boy/old lady.....doesn't matter., it wants to bite it, shake it, and kill it. socialization may keep it from biting, but it wants to. and any little thing could make it revert to its instinct
if a dog bites a person in a meaningful way or it shows uncontrollable agression, it should be put down. end of story.

now, since you've scared me so much, i'm gonna stfu ;)

Everything you wrote is accurate and fair, except few points:
One, the "dog/cat/little boy/old lady.....doesn't matter" is false, and the data proves it. Dogs differentiate between humans and other dogs, at least socialized ones. This point is crucial to the difference in our "opinions".

Two, labs are not the "bitingest dogs"; they are over-represented by virtue of their common-ness; the statistics are skewed.
If you base the number on number of reported bites per capita (aka % dogs within the whole population of the breed that are reported "biters"), labs rank quite low.

I love my golden retarded. He's been one of the best dogs I've ever owned. Never shown any sign of aggression towards people. He's been through both of my boys pulling on his ears and riding him like a horse.

Last week he raised a lip at my daughter for doing the exact same thing my boys have done for years.

It does show up in dogs that haven't shown it before.

I'm fortunate that I have a friend in the sticks that will take him when it's time; I'd hate to shoot him.

A snarl is a warning. A dog is entitled to have moods and may not tolerate as well one day what he usually tolerates. They can also have differences of opinion about individual people, letting some people get away with things others don't.

Last edited:
I had a Rott. Best dog I ever had. Loved that ****er - still do, even though he died from cancer. Smartest dog I ever had, by far. Hands down.

I'm not a dumbass, meathead, or dogfighter. My dog was aggressive towards people and animals. I made excuses until the sun went down to protect and cover for him.

"He bit you because you were breaking up a dog fight. Dogs fight, dumbass. Don't stick your hand in there"

"He's growling at you for a reason."

"You must smell funny, or be scared or something."

"He doesn't like kids, keep them away"

"He doesn't like puppies, keep them away"

"He doesn't like other dogs, keep them away"

"He doesn't like strange people, stay away"

bottom line -some dogs are agressive - sometimes they have their place, sometimes, they don't.

Wob, respectfully, what's the rest of the story? I'm not digging for dirt or trying to start something. You said you loved your dog and you made excuses for it's behavior. Did it end up causing a problem? Would you have done it differently? Have your views changed?

I ask because we rescued an Akita from the shelter last year. We went looking for another dog where we HAD studied the breed and somebody walked out with her as we were walking in. We fell in love with the Akita at the shelter and took her home. The meds wore off within a couple of days and we soon learned that she is aggressive towards other animals and is quite protective of her family. She barks at strangers when they enter the house, even while they are petting her and she's going back for more luvin'. I don't want to make excuses for my dog, but I have hopes that we can train her out of some of this behavior. I'd like to hear your ''lessons learned''.

Don't get me wrong, I love the protection she provides my kids and the house, but I never, ever, want her to hurt someone that isn't trying to harm us in some way. She's affectionate towards the family and lets the kids climb all over her. I wouldn't want to be the home invader that goes up against her though.

Agomez,
Not sure if that's a reply to my post or not. She's never bitten anybody (as far as we know) and not snapped at a person. Dogs, yes. People, it's just barking.

Agomez,
Not sure if that's a reply to my post or not. She's never bitten anybody (as far as we know) and not snapped at a person. Dogs, yes. People, it's just barking.
Your dog will be fine. A little training (of you, not the dog...which is what dog training is really all about), and you'll minimize the risk that she'll react without your condoning it, when it comes to guests and passersby.

Agomez,

sounds like a socialization problem....add more dogs to the pack...or spend more time walking and interacting with dog.... if you do walk just make sure it knows your are the alpha to the side or behind.. .....that's all I got.

Tofu, while you may have some training in an area, that doesn't make you always right and everyone else always wrong. In engineering, common things tend to be black and white. Either it follows the rules of physics or it doesn't, pretty easy to end an argument. In human psychology things can be argued endlessly, they're always coming up with new "truths" in that field. Animal psychology? How can you sit and argue that the common observations of nearly everyone here, and endless news stories, are all false and you are right? This is hardly a science, the top experts are getting eaten, gored, bit, or poisoned regularly by their subjects, demonstrating their true understanding of animal psychology. Are you a top expert? In your mind perhaps, but no. Like so many who've taken time and effort to go through training and become educated, you've failed to grasp the subject, and it pisses you off whenever someone points it out. Thus the quote, the very, very appropriate quote.

How can you sit and argue that the common observations of nearly everyone here, and endless news stories, are all false and you are right? This is hardly a science, the top experts are getting eaten, gored, bit, or poisoned regularly by their subjects, demonstrating their true understanding of animal psychology. Are you a top expert? In your mind perhaps, but no. Like so many who've taken time and effort to go through training and become educated, you've failed to grasp the subject, and it pisses you off whenever someone points it out. Thus the quote, the very, very appropriate quote.

You're either trying desperately to bait me, and if so, you got the right guy, or you have poor reading comprehension. And I mean that in the most sincere and non-antagonistic way. Common observations are absolutely NOT empirical. Common observations routinely fail to take into account all relevant factors, and often key ones. This is MOST UNDENIABLY a science. Question that and now you're in the fundie camp who refuse to acknowledge science in general, like this is a religious "debate".

I have failed to grasp absolutely nothing and you continue to generalize and characterize my points in vague terms as "wrong" without actually addressing any of them at all.

As for "top expert", I never claimed such, but I am highly knowledgeable, whether you recognize that or not. I do not espouse opinions in this subject, as this is not the realm of opinion, but of fact vs. fallacy. What is the best/most loyal/prettiest/most rugged/etc. breed of dog is a matter of debate and opinion. Why dogs bite, what factors are at play...this is the realm of science and there has been a great deal of study done in this area. News stories about pitbulls or other dogs mauling kids is not science, but anecdotal evidence and data (with highly varying degrees of quality), with limited background information, as are all the stories posted here thus far.

You're either trying desperately to bait me, and if so, you got the right guy, or you have poor reading comprehension. And I mean that in the most sincere and non-antagonistic way. Common observations are absolutely NOT empirical. Common observations routinely fail to take into account all relevant factors, and often key ones. This is MOST UNDENIABLY a science. Question that and now you're in the fundie camp who refuse to acknowledge science in general, like this is a religious "debate".

I have failed to grasp absolutely nothing and you continue to generalize and characterize my points in vague terms as "wrong" without actually addressing any of them at all.

As for "top expert", I never claimed such, but I am highly knowledgeable, whether you recognize that or not. I do not espouse opinions in this subject, as this is not the realm of opinion, but of fact vs. fallacy. What is the best/most loyal/prettiest/most rugged/etc. breed of dog is a matter of debate and opinion. Why dogs bite, what factors are at play...this is the realm of science and there has been a great deal of study done in this area. News stories about pitbulls or other dogs mauling kids is not science, but anecdotal evidence and data (with highly varying degrees of quality), with limited background information, as are all the stories posted here thus far.

Just to sum up:

Shut up, brawndos got electrolytes, go away baitin', toilet, scroat, and shut up.

ok, smart guy. where's your empirical data? i'd love to see it

labs are the bitingest because they are:
1. common
2. more importantly, retard, people aren't afraid of them, so little bobby walks right up to a strange one to pet it cause it's a "nice doggy". he sure isn't gonna do that with a pit that has a piece of bicycle chain for a collar..nor is his mommy gonna let him.

dogs differentiate between humans and other dogs because we are bigger, and they perceive us as the alphas in the pack.
but they sense weakness very well, and unprotected children are weak. so are the elderly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom