DIY CT26 turbo rebuild, pro rebuild or replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

Just finished looking over the hdj81 with my mechanic friend. I had noticed oil on the intake side hose of the turbo and wanted his opinion. took off the manifold and there was oil in there, but not much play in the shaft. Both the manuals I have just state that the turbo should be replaced if broken. The Max ellery actually has tolerances for in/out play but not side to side which mine has a tiny bit of. He figures bearing/seal went. tracked it down to a leaking intake and he figured with the leak contributing to less back pressure the turbo may have been free-spooling and thus failed. sound plausible?

anyway, been trying to research my options. Tried tracking down NickW's old thread of when his turbo imploded and he had to get a new one. Just trying to get an idea of what a new CT26 goes for or how much a rebuild would set me back here in BC or Calgary. Also, noticed rebuild kits aren't going for too much and if it's simply a case of a seal and it not being a catastrophic failure could I get away with a DIY rebuild without a balance etc.? Finally what do you guys think of the eBay cheap aftermarket ones? anybody use one or have any feed back?

I'll need intake gaskets also.

Thanks in advance.

there is a dynamic oil seal on the intake side, by the way you need a little play for oil clearances
If you are on the island I can help you

In the East Kootenays actually. Help in sourcing parts/turbo or with a DIY fix? thanks for the reply.

your turbo sounds fine to me the oil in the intake will be the blow by from the oil breather

a ct26 will generally outlast a 1hd

your friend is full of it

if it is blowing more smoke than a pack a day smoker its fxxxed and if wont be a simple case of just bearings it will also be the shaft

then it quickly becomes more expensive than a ebay replacement

there isnt any turbo upgrades so i would stick with what you have

Whats the mileage on the engine.

It's just reaching 200000km.

thanks for all the feedback guys. any further yays or nays, etc appreciated.

you guys agree that it may be just some blow-by?

just to clarify. hardly any oil in the intake, there's oil in the intake side of the turbo.

A blown turbo will leave you in no doubt whatsoever that it has died.

A complete lack of turbo sound (even if you don't think you normally have it, it will be spookily quiet without one) or a loud metallic shreik as the wheels rub the housings.
Blue smoke (heaps of it) out the exhaust and possibly black too.

Oil in the intake will be blowby. You will know when you have a turbo problem.

my turbo works, that i know. what i don't know is if it is normal to have oil in it on the intake side (the actual intake manifold is relatively clear of oil). Is this indicative of a blown seal in the turbo and if so will it deteriorate further and fast? My concern is in PM. I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to but if this is a ticking time bomb within reason, and may cause me grief in the near future then I am wondering what is a reasonable course of action. If having oil in the turbo, outside the normal oil passages is reasonable than let me know.

Thanks again

Oil in the turbo housing is completely normal.

Your engine blowby is an oily mist which travels through the intake. The turbo throws this oil against the side of it's housing which creates a small oil puddle.

This oil is not from the turbo. Turbo oil seals do not leak outwards, they leak inwards. As the turbo works there is higher pressure in the exhaust and compressor than in the centre section. This causes a small flow of air and exhaust through the turbo seals to the centre housing and down the drain to your crank-case.

Right on Dougal! Thanks for your thorough response. I'll breathe easy now:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom