Differential and Transfer Oil - 06 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

I have a 04 LC FSM and below is what I extracted from it. Doing the diff and transfer case oil service in few days. Hopefully torque specs are good for 06 as well. But let me know.

Transfer Case Protector - 3 Bolts - Torque: 28 N·m
75W-90 (Mobile 1 Synthetic)
1.3 Liters - 1.4 US Qts
Drain / Fill Plugs - Torque: 37 N·m

Differential
Drain / Fill Plugs - Torque: 49 N·m
80W-90 Hypoid (From Toyota)
Front: 1.70 Liters - 1.80 US Qts
Rear : 3.20 Liters - 3.38 US Qts

Washer x6: 12157-10010

From my '07 FSM:

Rear Diff, capacity 3.49 US Qts, torque drain and fill plugs to 36ft/lbs
Front Diff, capacity 1.8 US Qts, torque drain and fil plugs to 36ft/lbs
Transfer Case, capacity 1.4 US Qts, torque drain and fill plugs to 27ft/lbs

If you want to simplify things, I've been running 75W90 in all 3 for almost 10 years. YMMV

From my '07 FSM:

Rear Diff, capacity 3.49 US Qts, torque drain and fill plugs to 36ft/lbs
Front Diff, capacity 1.8 US Qts, torque drain and fil plugs to 36ft/lbs
Transfer Case, capacity 1.4 US Qts, torque drain and fill plugs to 27ft/lbs

If you want to simplify things, I've been running 75W90 in all 3 for almost 10 years. YMMV

I saw Hypoid 80W-90 at Toyota on my recent visit when i did a transmission flush. It is a bit expensive $19/Gallon but available and just need 5 Gallon approx. so planning to stay with it.

I think it is also API GL-5 compliant so does the Mobile 1 75W-90.

Try RedLine gear oil. The best oil in the market!

I am just wondering where did they came up with this name Hypoid!!! google says it has more anti-wear qualities.

I am just wondering where did they came up with this name Hypoid!!! google says it has more anti-wear qualities.

Additives to tolerate Extreme pressures. Most of the Redline stuff covers this, which like Nissanh stated, is why it's so good.
We use a lot of Redline in diffs at our shop. The only other fluid we'll go to is LE (Lubrication Engineering) Monolec

Hypoid Gears: where the pinion engages below the center line of the ring gear.

This setup creates more forces than when the gear engages near the center line etc. hence you need Hypoid Oil. This is a good enough explanation for me.

In the Toyota LC Scheduled Maintenance Guide it only says inspect Front and Rear differential oil till 120K miles 144 months. Only says replace in the section if you are towing. Does it mean if you bought the LC new you are not changing diff oil for 12 years? does it last so long without towing etc.?

Reason asking i changed mine 2018 at a Toyota dealership and have only driven 30K in 5 years - no towing.

In the Toyota LC Scheduled Maintenance Guide it only says inspect Front and Rear differential oil till 120K miles 144 months. Only says replace in the section if you are towing. Does it mean if you bought the LC new you are not changing diff oil for 12 years? does it last so long without towing etc.?

Reason asking i changed mine 2018 at a Toyota dealership and have only driven 30K in 5 years - no towing.

We've dumped boxes with 20-30 years on the fluids and often times looks and smells nearly as good as new.
I say it all depends on how you use the vehicle, not just towing. Any sort of sustained heavy loading of the gears will result in shock to the fluids so regular servicing is just good practice and insurance. In other cases, it just makes some feel good about their maintenance practices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom