Custom Diesel 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey I had an idea that popped into my head the other day, and was wondering if any Ih8mud regulars have seen or heard of anything like it. I am looking to get a mid 70s fj40 and am thinking about doing a 350 diesel conversion with propane injection. This will undoubtedly overpower the stock driveline so I am planning on swapping everything out. Will the frame need to be reinforced to hold the torque on the road? and will an Allison transmission fit on the back of a 350 in a cruiser? How hard is diesel to custom install, and what all will I need to switch out? Any other problems I'm bound to run into? I think it would be pretty sick, I've been driving underpowered cars since I was 16 and its time to go over the line.

Eric :beer:

the Aussies do the 6.2 or 6.5 dsl swap all the time. I see no need to beef up the frame or much of anything else. if I recall you can use a gas 350 adapter to the cruiser trany, if not Marks in AUS makes everything you need.
http://www.marks4wd.com/lc-fj40chevdieselv8.htm

dont think you will have the room for a alison trany or even if it will bolt up.........prolly not

local in town has a fj40 with cummins dsl(out of a 92 truck) 727 trany and Dana 60/70(or 70/80)

I don't think you can squeeze that kind of tranny in a 40.

What kind of 350 diesel where you talking about? The modified GM gasser? If you were then I would say forget it, because those things where junk. You can drop a 4 or maybe even a 6 cylinder cummins in there, but if you tweak them too much, yes, you might screw the frame up if you don't reinforce it. I just read a day or two ago where a guy twisted the frame of his 40 with a cummins.

Fully boxing the frame is a good idea. Buford on pirate makes a good kit..

How much power are you planning on getting??

I want to push 400+ hp, but would probably settle near 300 if need be, seeing how I've never owned anything over 150. Sounds like an alison tranny wont work, what would be a good reliable tranny that could handle regular application of power? I plan on juicing the crap out of this thing so reinforcing the frame will stay in the plans. What kind of power does a cummins 6 put out? after propane inj, turbo, anything else you can do to it to make it roar? I'm not too familiar with the diesel world cept from what I learned in engineering classes, so the practical stuff I am learning as I go.

Dreaming big, real big

You are dreaming big, and that kind of modifying cost even bigger money. If you want to shoe-horn a 5.9 cummins in a 40, then tweak it to it's max potential, then you better start looking at another vehicle to drop it in.

If you want to drop a stock 5.9 in a 40, with little mods and 33's, then you might be ok. Just be easy on the skinny pedal, and stay out of the rocks.

there is just no need for that kind of power in a 40, 300hp in a Cummins is gonna be like 700lbs of torque.......yep it gonna brake everying and there is no need for it. Really a stock 5.9ltr Cummins would be plenty of power.

here is some good reading on dsl swaps into Cruisers
http://www.collegeinternetsolutions.com/cisautoweb/dtlc/

John

jarhead26 said:
I want to push 400+ hp, but would probably settle near 300 if need be, seeing how I've never owned anything over 150. Sounds like an alison tranny wont work, what would be a good reliable tranny that could handle regular application of power? I plan on juicing the crap out of this thing so reinforcing the frame will stay in the plans. What kind of power does a cummins 6 put out? after propane inj, turbo, anything else you can do to it to make it roar? I'm not too familiar with the diesel world cept from what I learned in engineering classes, so the practical stuff I am learning as I go.

Dreaming big, real big

I have done the GM 6.2 L diesel swap into my '68 fj40. I am running a SM465, 3 speed xfer, stock axles, SOA, 99" WB, 38.5's, and full hydro steering. I had to do full hydro becasue there really wasn't room for a steering shaft in there. I could have done something to do regular PS, but I am building a trail rig, not a DD so figured it would be better anyways. This motor isn't the lame, crappy, 350 diesel that GM made, it is an actual diesel, definatley not the best out there, but will work for my application. It is a tight fit, but I think it is pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom