CSC Chat (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today's Topic: Mystery on Craigslist :hillbilly:.

CL seems to dominate as the number one medium in the private sales source so its popular and with the acknowledged squirrely stuff that comes with it.

So....after a while you figure out what a fishing scam ad looks like and avoid those. But, what about the normal ads? My challenge that I can't seem to wrap my head around is why would someone be trying to sell something then make it impossible to communicate or get feedback. Funner (Brian) and I had this talk a while back and there was of much uncontrollable eye rolling :rolleyes:.

In looking for a car for my daughter I was amazed at the number of people that I couldnt reach or get a call or email back from. Too much of a hassle?

The most frequent challenge was the person whose phone voicemail was full, but they also didn't respond to email. Some of these were the first day of the ad even?!

In the end I found a great car and deal with a normal human and moved on. Had someone else just tell me the same thing on an older Landcruiser search he has been on.

Anyone else get this weirdness too?

CL seems to dominate as the number one medium in the private sales source so its popular and with the acknowledged squirrely stuff that comes with it.

So....after a while you figure out what a fishing scam ad looks like and avoid those. But, what about the normal ads? My challenge that I can't seem to wrap my head around is why would someone be trying to sell something then make it impossible to communicate or get feedback. Funner (Brian) and I had this talk a while back and there was of much uncontrollable eye rolling :rolleyes:.

In looking for a car for my daughter I was amazed at the number of people that I couldnt reach or get a call or email back from. Too much of a hassle?

The most frequent challenge was the person whose phone voicemail was full, but they also didn't respond to email. Some of these were the first day of the ad even?!

In the end I found a great car and deal with a normal human and moved on. Had someone else just tell me the same thing on an older Landcruiser search he has been on.

All the time. Very rarely will someone return an email message. Text seems to be the "desired" method but even then, as you say, very few responses.

In some cases I have found that the product has already been sold by the time I see the add. I have had items for sale, vehicles, appliances etc. that literally sell within minutes. But I ALWAYS return a call, message, email. Always.

One other thing I notice, and to be frank, pisses me off. Whenever something is posted the calls, at least half, already want to start negotiating before they even see the product. If I list something for a $1,000, what makes you think I will agree to sell it to you for $600 without you seeing it? Of course once they get here they see the product and it is "much worse" than they thought and now want to start negotiating from $600. I understand wanting a deal.... but don't waste my time.

I don't know if craigslist just attracts, for the lack of a better term, weirdos or, if this is really a cross section of what America is becoming...

All the time. Very rarely will someone return an email message. Text seems to be the "desired" method but even then, as you say, very few responses.

In some cases I have found that the product has already been sold by the time I see the add. I have had items for sale, vehicles, appliances etc. that literally sell within minutes. But I ALWAYS return a call, message, email. Always.

One other thing I notice, and to be frank, pisses me off. Whenever something is posted the calls, at least half, already want to start negotiating before they even see the product. If I list something for a $1,000, what makes you think I will agree to sell it to you for $600 without you seeing it? Of course once they get here they see the product and it is "much worse" than they thought and now want to start negotiating from $600. I understand wanting a deal.... but don't waste my time.

I don't know if craigslist just attracts, for the lack of a better term, weirdos or, if this is really a cross section of what America is becoming...

This is so funny. When people start trying to negotiate with me on the phone it usually starts with them asking me for my best price. My response is always "you want me to negotiate against myself?"

This type of behavior seems to be too much the norm lately. The unseen low ball offer, the no call back, and all the other weird stuff associated with buying or selling on craigslist.
When I leave a voice mail, I ask, even if it is sold, I would appreciate a call back as to not waste time calling again. COMMON COURTESY. Not to mention all the BS stories ( I'm selling it for my uncle's mother's friend's sister). Or the low life jipper screwing as many people as they can.
As murf previously coined the phrase "normal human", this is unfortunately becoming a rare encounter. When you do meet one, it is refreshing to know that their are a few left.

I dont do CL much because of all the C/L DB's but when I do the ad states no offer and no negotiation. If you ask I then ask, do you not know how to read and go on a rant. Many times resulting in a hang up from them and a smile and F-Y from me. :D

I have experienced all the above (with exception of Phil going on a rant).:D

My favorite buying/selling has been with mud members.

It's a necessary medium, CL. Common sense and a meeting place. Almost 99% of the time, The CL'er will not be by my residence. Some things are easier than others and oddly enough, you can get a good gut feel simply by the communication, or lack there of. If you go in expecting all the above mentioned, then no big deal.

I just sold our 2001 expedition which was a bit old and had a number of issues, all of which I listed clearly in the add. I received at least three calls asking me, "what was wrong with it" :bang:

I know many people will attempt to sell you crap and get away from it. Looked at one Tacoma recently with "170K miles on it" Carfax came back with over 300k. Unfortunately some poor sap bought that vehicle I am sure. All I know is that it is bad Karma to sell someone something without disclosing what is wrong with it and I need all the good Karma I can get...

I've had the same buying off CL. Sometimes sending multable texts & Emails. Been other times I'll sent one message and heard back a week later. CL is not something I count on if I need something but have found some good deals over the years. Some times Mud classified isn't much better. While it hasn't happened to me read many threads where someone starts a for sale thread and are asked for pictures or other question only to have the seller respond I'm out of town and won't be able to get to that until I get home. This is the day after they started the thread. Why start a thread if your out of town or leaving the next day?

Looked at one Tacoma recently with "170K miles on it" Carfax came back with over 300k. Unfortunately some poor sap bought that vehicle I am sure.

Same here, a super clean 4 runner from a guy who just recently bought it due to a military transfer and wanted a reliable ride to get him across country to Luke AFB. Not sure if he was duped, but seemed bummed out when I told him the title was jacked up.

Carfax is our friend.....

Yes is is...:beer:

I have sold a lot of things on CL and typically have few hassles. Most recently about 40+ beverage merchandise refrigerators. I always list my phone number in my ads. People that email those ads or send me texts are 95% of the time a complete waste of time. People that call almost always end up buying. I only had 2 people not purchase that came to see them. At least that's my experience. My ads are clear and honest and current.
All that said, I am stunned that people will bother posting items for $5-$15 and have to deal with the typical CL buyer.

craigslist is so hit-or-miss. We live in Casa Grande, so its a day long affair usually involving several sales/buys. we have had some great luck with kids furniture/office furniture. always interesting to see what some people consider "great condition", or "like new". Seems like electronics and sporting goods are where you get into the......chancier...dealings. (yeah I just made that word up trying to be PC)

The ones that get me, are the no shows. Been texting/calling for a couple days, set up a meet and then nothing. no communication, won't answer phone.
Why would you do that?

For you dog lovers!
We have both a black and a yellow lab.
Black Labs Matter.jpg

:cheers:

I`m having fun with CL right now. Decided it would be helpful to install a camper shell on trailer made from a Toyota pickup I picked up a while ago. I know I'll never find a perfect fit but plenty 5' X 6' (or close too) listed. Sent a number of E-mails with no response. Ads were a few weeks old but were there and haven't been pulled. Texting with someone on another one that came up Saturday. Made arrangements to look at it Sunday. When I text him Sunday never heard back.:bang: The ad is still there. Haven't tried any of the those that are asking close to or more than what new ones are advertised for. Enough of those as well. Some looking like the one that came on my FJ45 which I hauled off for scrap.:meh:

When I was looking at 4Runners on CL last year it was a lot of the same. About 2/3's were complete flakes or didn't respond. The other 1/3 were writing descriptions for some other mythical 4Runner and not the one they were selling. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom