CSC Chat (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just as thinking Land Rover was trying too hard.

THE MILLION-MILE 2007 TOYOTA TUNDRA
Posted in Features on February 25, 2016Comment (190)
SHARE THIS

Tim Esterdahl
Photographers: Courtesy of Toyota

Every truck maker talks about long-term reliability, but what does that really mean? How long is “long-term”? For Victor Sheppard, it is more than a million miles in his 2007 Toyota Tundra.

Sheppard is a hotshot driver delivering supplies for oil operations. This niche job means he is driving across the country from oil fields in Louisiana to North Dakota and docks anywhere in California to Virginia delivering freight to the fields and businesses that work with oil companies. It also means a lot of time behind the wheel of his Toyota Tundra.

With that many miles on a truck bought brand new on May 29, 2007, from Greg LeBlanc Toyota in Houma, Louisiana, one has to wonder what kinds of repairs it has needed.

“Basically all I’ve done is oil changes,” Sheppard says. “The only mechanical issue I’ve had with my truck was at 776,000 when the reverse went out. I continued to use it, and thought if I ever got in a bind, I could just push it back.”

He eventually got the reverse fixed and is currently on the road to New Orleans from Norfolk, Virginia. Since the odometer stopped working at 999,999 miles, he is now tracking his mileage with the trip odometer. As of this writing, he has 3,300 miles on the trip odometer and counting.

How’s the truck running now?

“Truck’s running fine,” Sheppard said. “I’ll tell you this in a heartbeat, my truck is so comfortable. I also have no fears of it breaking down.”

On the inside, Sheppard says the interior still looks great.

“The seats have no rips or anything, and the interior is in great shape,” Sheppard said. “The only minor issue is on the driver side felt lining on the top of the cabin has a little tear in it.”

Besides that, Sheppard says the intermediate mode on the windshield wiper stalk doesn’t always work and he needs to have the wipers fully on or fully off when it is rainy.

This truck’s reliability reinforces how Sheppard has felt about the brand since he started driving Toyota products in 1988 after graduating college. He even worked for Bohn Bros Toyota in Harvey, Louisiana, for a while. It seems safe to say that whenever the 2007 Tundra gives out, Sheppard will be looking for another Toyota to put another million-plus miles on.

So at 16mpg @ $2.00 per gallon. What has been his gas bill? And I was nice and kept it at $2.00 a gallon.

This is a Celica Supra I'd like to see (out wheeling)

Celica Rally Car

25.jpg

news:

Motor Trend head to head comparison: Toyota Land Cruiser, Jeep Rubicon, Mercedes G-Wagon > click here

BBrBuAj.jpg

news:

Motor Trend head to head comparison: Toyota Land Cruiser, Jeep Rubicon, Mercedes G-Wagon > click here

One of many awesome excerpts from the story:
The Land Cruiser was practically a sports car in the powder compared to the other two. The Toyota effortlessly gripped the ice- and slush-covered track, and it was the only vehicle of the three to avoid getting dumped into a snowbank—and it's the vehicle that dragged the other two out. "It took a little bit of manhandling and Swedish flicking to make the Land Bruiser break free," Lieberman said, "but once it did, we were all carving perfect Tanner Foust-style drifts."

Well that was a fun read, but I already knew how it would end.

Four dead from Sunday. :(

My '01 Tundra is at 332K, still runs excellent!!!!!! Nice post murf on the Landcruiser shootout

My '01 Tundra is at 332K, still runs excellent!!!!!! Nice post murf on the Landcruiser shootout

That is awesome. Congrats !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom