1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cruise MOAB?

Discussion in 'TLCA- Sanctioned Events' started by cuiser73, Apr 7, 2003.

1. cuiser73

cuiser73

I was wondering if anyone is going to Cruise MOAB? I just renewed my tlca membership a few days ago and was just wondering. I am going to be in Moab the 9th thru the 13th of may and see on the calander its the same time. I would be interested in maybe meeting some of you all if you are there. I will be at the slickrock campground. If you see the big black FJ 40 stop and chat. :D

2. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    wrong dates...cruise moab is 4/30-5/4

3. upcruiser

upcruiser

I'm going to be there sometime between the 5th-12th doing my own thing. I'd like to hook up with some other cruisers out there too but am not doing Cruise Moab. I was planning on camping out north of town near Gemini Bridges.

4. cuiser73

cuiser73

Thats what I get for believing what I read. Oh well I will be with a bunch of j**ps then anyway. I wouldnt want my fellow cruiserheads to see me that way. :-[I am planning on going back over memorial weekend also if I stay in one piece the first trip. :G

5. Hltoppr

Hltoppr SILVER Star

Media:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    Ooo... :bow: Gemini Bridges....I had the opportunity to rappel off the canyon just NE of there, with the Bridges over the left shoulder. Windy at the time; however, absolutely kick butt view!

-H-

Is CM sold out yet?

6. upcruiser

upcruiser

Not sure if CM is sold out or not.

Were you rapelling for fun or for search and rescue?  The last time I was at Gemini Bridges I noticed the collection of bike helmets at the bottom.  Apparently bikers stop to check out the view and unsnap their helmet strap and forget.  When they peer over the edge to look into the hole, their lid falls into the abyss.  I've also heard that people jump accross the bridges,  :stupid:  Cool place though.

7. Hltoppr

Hltoppr SILVER Star

Media:
    There's an adventure race called Adventure Xstream that's run up there, and the rappel is part of the course. I wouldn't do any jumping unless I'm well tied in... I've seen the consequences of a 250' fall. Not Pretty....well... pretty messy.

-H-

8. upcruiser

upcruiser

Sounds fun! That would be a great area to have an adventure race in. I'm being persuaded into doing one this summer, but I'm hesitant because I have very little climbing and rappeling experience. Running, biking, and kayaking no problem, I feel comfortable but my orienteering skills could use some brushing up on too.

9. Hltoppr

Hltoppr SILVER Star

Media:
    Go for it! The rappelling part is easy:

1. Double check your harness/rappel device

2. Keep a shoulder width stance

3. &nbsp:Don't let go of your brake hand.... :eek:

Plus, many of the rappels in races require a team member to bottom belay the next member (Fireman's belay) ..

-H-