Critique my compressor / blaster choice before I waste my $$$ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought 3 phase came that way from the main power lines.
Don't you need a special 3 phase service?

I'm on the same hunt. I have 220v 50amps in my garage so I'm limiting my search to a 5hp motor & 2 stage compressor. Do you have 3 phase at the pole?

Rotary converters lose about 1/3 to 1/2 the HP, getting the power company to drop the third wire from the pole won't be cheap either because the power company most likely won't subsidize it due to low use, it will take them many years to see that ROI.

You'll also have to go with a new panel and disconnect that will cost at least a couple hundred bucks, and I doubt you'll be able to use any of the breakers in your current panel, more money there as well.

3 phase is way more efficient but almost unobtainable for residential in the US.

We ended up buying an old Quincy 25 for $150 and spent about another 150 on a top end rebuild kit, parts from them are pretty cheap and they're great people to talk to on the phone, if you got a model and serial they'll get exactly what you need and give you a quick walk thru on the process plus email you manuals, very impressed with their support for a compressor head that was 20+ years old!

4 years after the rebuild we toasted the old motor, a Marathon, and now are on the hunt for a 1.5-2hp 230V 1725rpm motor, which isn't cheap so I've been scanning CL for the right deal as dropping 700+ on a new Baldor isn't an option!

When from this
2011-01-23_14-56-20_897.jpg

to this

quincy%252520as%252520almost%252520finished.jpg

Patience is your best friend when waiting for the right compressor to come along!

Have you looked at adding a frazanator to an ingersol 60 gallon?
It works a bit like a 2 stage compressor to cool the air a bit before it hits the tank. Maybe an option.

Rotary converters lose about 1/3 to 1/2 the HP, getting the power company to drop the third wire from the pole won't be cheap either because the power company most likely won't subsidize it due to low use, it will take them many years to see that ROI.

You'll also have to go with a new panel and disconnect that will cost at least a couple hundred bucks, and I doubt you'll be able to use any of the breakers in your current panel, more money there as well.

3 phase is way more efficient but almost unobtainable for residential in the US.

We ended up buying an old Quincy 25 for $150 and spent about another 150 on a top end rebuild kit, parts from them are pretty cheap and they're great people to talk to on the phone, if you got a model and serial they'll get exactly what you need and give you a quick walk thru on the process plus email you manuals, very impressed with their support for a compressor head that was 20+ years old!

4 years after the rebuild we toasted the old motor, a Marathon, and now are on the hunt for a 1.5-2hp 230V 1725rpm motor, which isn't cheap so I've been scanning CL for the right deal as dropping 700+ on a new Baldor isn't an option!

When from this
2011-01-23_14-56-20_897.jpg

to this

quincy%252520as%252520almost%252520finished.jpg

Patience is your best friend when waiting for the right compressor to come along!

RPC do not lose 1/3-1/2 HP rating, a static phase converter does as it converts a 3 ph motor to single phase motor (simply put). I would not recommend a RPC, static phase converter or a VFD for a compressor application due to hi cycle and hi loads at startup. Buying two stage compressors for home use requires due diligence or you'll find yourself DIW. Many folks make this mistake based on excitement over a good deal on a big compressor. I recommend looking for a single phase 5HP (min) motor if you really like your compressor and plan to use it with a blast cabinet.

Yellowjacket,
I just took a quick peek on eBay and found a few affordable options. You'll need to note the RPM, frame style and shaft size of your old (3ph) motor (data plate) and use this information to closely match a single phase replacement. Many folks overlook the RPM's, too fast or slow can effect the "splash" lubrication of the pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom