Clutch not engaging issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have had this rig for about 3 years and no real issues. It was an FJ60 before the guy I bought if from did a 3B swap.

With in the last week or so I started noticing shifting issues with it. They have gotten worse fairly quickly.

I have a very hard time shifting into 1st and 2nd. At this point 3rd and 4th are ok. When I first get in in the morning, it feels like I need to "pump up" the clutch. Kind of like brakes that need worked on, if that makes any sense.

I am getting no signs of a clutch going out. No slipping going up hill, no issues during take off(assuming I can get it into 1st or 2nd).

Looking for any input on where to start looking.

Thanks,

Tim

4 or 5 speed? Have you ever replaced the shifter seat?

Howdy! Is it hard to get into reverse also? Could be you need to adjust/replace the clutch slave and/or master. John

Howdy! Is it hard to get into reverse also? Could be you need to adjust/replace the clutch slave and/or master. John

I think it is a bit harder to get into reverse, but I don't go there near as much, so not as sure.

I was wondering about slave and master and getting a bit scared.

Are you loosing clutch fluid?

This might work.

Pump fresh brake fluid through the clutch slave and master via reservoir to the bleed screw. If there is enough water contamination in the fluid then viscosity drops to the point where the seal on the piston just can't do the sealing job it is supposed to do. That will get your clutch release working again.

I think we have a winner....

Then as you put it "It's time to get "scared"!"

I was wondering about slave and master and getting a bit scared.

You have a master or slave issue. See which one is wet (don't forget to check under the dash) and replace the offending part. Some recommend replacing both slave and master.

Keep in mind, these parts can fail without leaking any fluid. I was having the same issue on my HJ47, but nothing was 'wet', no visible leaks.

Change/rebuild both m/c and slave and you'll be good to go...

Thanks for all the input. I have a leak somewhere. Seems to be slow, not been able to track it down yet. I think I will just end up rebuilding them both, peace of mind and no plan to get rid of the rig anytime soon.

Thanks again!

Love this site!

Tim

Thanks for all the input. I have a leak somewhere. Seems to be slow, not been able to track it down yet. I think I will just end up rebuilding them both, peace of mind and no plan to get rid of the rig anytime soon.

Thanks again!

Love this site!

Tim

The 3b requires a specific slave, but the master should be the same as an fj60.

I haven't had good luck with rebuilds or aftermarket.

Unless you want to do this job again soon, I'd get new ones from your Toyota dealer.
clutch.jpg

mel low,

Actually there are two different kind of clutch masters for the BJ60. One is for the vacuum assist clutch master and the other is for the non assist. The clutch master assist version has a machined end on it that is 1.4 inches in diameter and about 1/2 long machined end extending from the flang ears. It will also have a rubber seal unlike the dust boot version you show in your picture.

I am having the same issue but its a new master and non leaking slave. Will see what happens when I get more feedback on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom