Choke Cable Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm very new at this. Just bought a '75 FJ40. The original choke cable (metal housing) is frozen. Bought a new one (rubber housing). It seems I need to remove the heater in order to have room to get to the retaining nut behind the dash. Is there another way to do this?

Thanks.

kealy

Welcome!

Space is pretty much at a premium up in there but there is MUCH more room to move around than the newer cars/trucks! You probally will have to remove and or move some stuff to get the cable fed through the hole.

It may help you if you have fat hands to ask one of the neighborhood kids to use their skinney hands to feed it through.

I see you already bought a new cable (which is good) but if the old cable is not kinked, you can free it by soaking it in some motor oil (new or used). I did that to my choke, throttle and fresh air vents and now they work great.

i think i went through the instrument cluster to do it

A friend told me to try ATF for this type of soaking/clean up of cables and I have found it to work alot better than motor oil. I freed up the vent and choke cables without removing them with PB Blaster spray. Took a half dozen treatments and as many soaking days, but I was doing other stuff anyway. Speedo and e-brake got removed and ATF soak.

I replaced mine without taking the heater out, i I don't have a radio in the center and I think it helps not to have one in the spot. I remember the only thing that was a PITA was that the fastener behind the dash that tighens down the choke switch kept falling back towards the firewall away from the dash.

Thanks to all. I don't have a radio, but I do have big hands. The instrument cluster, hmmm. I'll check napa for PB Blaster. I never heard of it, but saw it referenced in other postings. Thanks for all the ideas.

Kealy, if you decide to try the instrument cluster route, MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE YOU START!!!! The main hot wire for the ammeter [direct from the battery] is near the edge of the cluster and if you accidentally bump it while it is hot......................... :eek: :eek: :eek:

They also make stubby wrenches that are very handy for this type of job.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom