1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carb Questions

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by cruzer, Jan 19, 2003.

1. cruzer

cruzer

ON my carb there is and big huge tube that goes into the carborator on the drivers side of the truck. it goes inbetween middle of the carb and the butterfly valves. It is not mentioned anywere in the FSM and neither is the lower half of the carb...(weird)...on the carb rebuild kit that i bought (not OEM because they couldn't get me one) it is called the insulator block..??? here i will attach a picture of the carb on the truck and circle the thing i am talking about. On mine its blocked off. So what the hell is this thing and what does it do?

Oh and is my carb linkage that i circled supposed to be bent??

Stew

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

The lower half of the carb has a good pic on page 5.32 of my FSM, but it shows the linkage side and not that tube. I can scan it and post the drawing if it would help.

Your linkage should not be bent.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

The insulator and pipe you mentioned are stock. The insulator helps prevent transfer of heat up to the carb and subsequent boil-off of fuel.

The capped-off pipe is what's left of your EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system. It's part of the original smog control junk on the truck. It's OK to leave it capped off like that.

No, your linkage should not be bent like that. That horizontal rod should be straight. Seems like it would operate in a "jerky" manner when bent like that.

HTH.
    Todd.