Can't start when the front wheels aren't parked straight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.employees.org
Hi Guys,

My '98 with 270K miles has a strange starting problem that it won't start if the truck was parked with front wheels aren't straight, usually when that happen, I simply turn steering wheel left/right and it would start, or push down the gas pedal and start it at the same time. Engine just doesn't crank when this happens.

Anyone has seen something like this? Beside this I could feel some looseness/play in the steering rack

Thanks in advance.

/td

Might be the ignition switch steering wheel interlock. Maybe try lubing with graphite first?

Sounds like some funny business potentially going on with the power steering idle up valve. This component bypasses the throttle body, allowing slightly more air to the motor, for it to idle up and better power the steering hydraulics at idle. Perhaps there's a vacuum leak somewhere there? I wouldn't think it would be enough to impact startup, so there may be something else going on?

Once the car is started and idling, do you notice any idle quality changes when steering?

I was changed the TPS and was able to start it. The battery was kind of weak. I'm going to check the charging system. Thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom