Can it be saved? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I started this thread (https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=163996 ) in the chit chat section but would like to get some opinions on the technical side. I have a very rusty 1974 fj40 and I want to get some opinions on whether it is worth saving or if I should get rid of it (sell outright or part it out) and start over with something more worthwhile. I have posted pics of the frame and tub. The motor runs and I have a newer 2f that I can swap in, I am almost finished with a mini-truck disk brake swap on the front axle and I listed some other stuff in my other post. I would really appreciate any advice that this forum can offer, I am fairly new when it comes to this and don't have all the experience I would like to have to make this kind of decision. Thanks for the help!

What are your plans for the rig?
ie full restoration, trail rig, DD.

If you want to do a restoration I'd look for a more promising start.

If you want a trail rig patch up the tub bed so you gear doesn't fall out on the trail. Give it an SOA, lunch box locker for the front, lincoln lock the rear. Put some 36" TSL's on it and let them self clearance the body. Swap out the stock transmission for an SM420 and you are set to run almost any trail.

If you want a reliable DD I'd say its a toss up on that rig if you replace the body or find better one to start with. The perfect solution would be to find a body donor with a blown drive train that you can pick up cheap.

Anything can be fixed, look at my web site to see what I tackled!

You mentioned that time is your big concern so I would sell this one to someone who can continue fixing it and move on to one in better shape.

ask the canadian guys on this board if that truck is too rusty to start with.

That is a big dollar "near rust free" truck around here. My vote is to fix it.

Anything can be fixed, look at my web site to see what I tackled!

You mentioned that time is your big concern so I would sell this one to someone who can continue fixing it and move on to one in better shape.

x2. IMHO every project ends up taking twice as long and costing twice as much as you initially estimate.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am going to keep the cruiser and fix it up. Anyone have a clean tub for sale? :D

i would love to get a truck that good around here in pa they all rust out in ten years but i keep fixin em for the wife kids and me good luck

you say it's rusty, but how rusty? rusty to a californian, a midwesterner, and a canadian are completely different things.

you say the motor runs, but does it run good? what kind of compression?

is the vehicle complete, or is it missing a bunch of stuff/hobbled together?

what do you want to do with the rig? resto? buggy? somewhere in between?

way to vague to answer your questions.

ask the canadian guys on this board if that truck is too rusty to start with.

That is a big dollar "near rust free" truck around here. My vote is to fix it.

x2

Looks pretty good from here. I'd be buying an aluminum tub for it. Put it together and enjoy the ride. I've owned and driven much worse.

Nick

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am going to keep the cruiser and fix it up. Anyone have a clean tub for sale? :D
Call Bob ( Alumacruiser) at Aqualu, get an aluminum tub and get it over with. Some vendors will tell you there is a 3 month wait to get an Aqualu tub. They actually have them in stock, ready to ship.

Saving it is a good call. The frame looks real solid and with a little work will look brand new. Pull off the tub (and save it for now) and get your rolling chassis together and start building up from there. Have fun and try things you have never done before its fun. But if welding or paint or such and you have never done it, it is better to practice on something else first and if you have a freind with the skilzzzz have them guide you to start. In the end you will not believe what you built!!!

I think it depends on how much time you have and what you want to make out of this thing.I bought a 77 rust bucket,I thought I knew what I was in for,I always wanted one but just couldn't find one under $3000 that wasn't rusted to pieces(in WV,OH OR PA).I knew this was'nt going to be a show piece but I thought I could make it decent,and I still think so,that's been 10months ago and I still work on it daily and haven't drove it more than 2miles without doing something else to it.My advice is GO FOR IT,but be careful, it consumes your life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom