BSLCA Telluride/Ouray Trip, Summer 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Volunteer

Bayou State Land Cruiser Association
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bslca.com
Last edited:
Potential Trail Runs (borrowed from the FJ Summit website)
We will discuss further and put together an outline with dates and target agenda as we get closer smile emoticon

The Alpine Loop (Moderate)
Trail time: 6-9 hours (including lunch time in Lake City). The Alpine Loop Back Country Byway in the northern San Juan Mountains of Colorado is a spectacular 65-mile tour of some of North America's most magnificent scenery. The byway boasts two 12,000+ foot passes that require a high clearance, four wheel drive vehicle. For those with an adventurous spirit (and an appropriate vehicle!), the area offers an opportunity to look backward in time to a time when early miners struggled in a rugged, often hostile environment. Description of Courtesy of www.alpineloop.com

Engineer Pass (Moderate)
This trail is the first half of the "Alpine Loop" outside of Ouray, It is extremely scenic and very long, filled with many things to photograph.

It starts just south of Ouray on the left side of the road as you are winding your way along the shelf. There is plenty of room to air down at the trailhead, and the trail starts out rocky right away. It gets easier after a mile or two, though. You can pick your lines through most of it and make it as easy or as difficult as you would like.

If you want to go over Engineer Pass, choose the "Alpine Loop" as one of your trail runs, as this is the first leg of the loop.

Cinnamon Pass (Easy/Moderate)
Website

This trail is part of the Alpine Loop, and takes you through many of Colorado's historic ghost towns and mining camps. Very Picturesque and a lovely trail to take.

If you want to go over Cinnamon Pass, choose the "Alpine Loop" as one of your trail runs, as this is the second leg of the loop.

California Pass (Moderate)
Trail time: 4-6 hours (for both California Pass and Cork Screw Gulch). This trail is absolutely beautiful from start to finish. Though it isn't a technically challenging trail it does follow very narrow shelf roads. All drivers will need to be very careful. Plan to spend a bit of time in Animas Forks if you can -- there are few towns like this one still left standing. There is a large amount of parking and pit toilets available. You can pick up a brochure and sign the guestbook, then follow the walking tour detailed in the pamphlet to check out the thirteen buildings and items of interest. There is a lot of history and it is very interesting as well as scenic.

California Pass and Cork Screw Gluch connect to form one trail run at the FJ Summit

Cork Screw Gulch (Moderate)
Trail time: 4-6 hours (for both California Pass and Cork Screw Gulch). If you enjoy the red-colored mountains in the Ouray area you will really enjoy Corkscrew Gulch. There are three red mountains on Red Mountain Pass -- their names are Red Mountain Number 1, Red Mountain Number 2 and Red Mountain Number 3. This trail climbs between Red Mountains 1 and 2 as it connects highway 550 to highway 11.

California Pass and Cork Screw Gluch connect to form one trail run at the FJ Summit

Black Bear Pass (Moderate/Difficult)
Trail time: 5-7 hours (Including lunch time in Telluride). Enjoy the thrill of true rugged four-wheeling in the San Juans! This is a heart-stopping and breath taking alpine trail to Telluride passing right by the spectacular Bridal Veil Falls.

This is one of the most famous trails in the state and for good reason. It's beautiful and slightly terrifying. You travel from south of Ouray to Telluride over Black Bear Pass, around Ingram Basin, and right through the middle of Bridal Veil Falls.

The Black Bear trail run will go from Ouray to Teluride on Black Bear Road, and return to Ouray over Ophir Pass and Highway 550.

Imogene Pass (Easy/Moderate)
Trail time: 6-9 hours (Including lunch time in Telluride. Imogene Pass is the second highest pass in Colorado, making it a beautiful and thrilling ride.

The trail is wide and surrounded by trees and is fairly easy, but some shelf roads and switchbacks will keep your hands on the wheel. Views of Telluride are amazing!

The Imogene Pass trail run will go from Ouray to Teluride via Imogene Pass, and return to Ouray over Ophir Pass and Highway 550.

Ophir Pass (Easy)
This trail is fairly easy though you spend a lot of time on a shelf road. The road is usually narrow so if you have to pass someone it could be difficult and dangerous.

The trail connects Telluride and Silverton and is very scenic. If you run it in June or later it should be cleared by snowplows, and you get to pass on the trail between walls of snow.

The Black Bear Pass and Imogene Pass trail runs will return from Teluride over Ophir Pass. Ophir Pass is also a good choice to make a loop to Teluride with Last Dollar Road.

Poughkeepsie Gulch (Moderate/Difficult)
Trail time: 4-6 hours. This trail is one of Ouray's more difficult trails, with absolutely beautiful views and some fun on rocks and water, depending on snow melt conditions. Additional obstacles add to the fun and challenge!

The Gulches (Moderate)
Trail time: 6-8 hours. This trail run will give you a chance to explore some of the seldom seen sights in the San Juan's, from the beautiful Gold Prince Mine to the remarkably intact Sound Democrat Mill. Trail leaders will choose a variet of in-and-out gulches to explore. Participants will have the opportunity to stop and explore the valleys, cirques, and couliors that mae up these special local treasures

Yankee Boy Basin (Easy)
A very popular trail, this one can't be missed if you find yourself in the area. It is short and not particularly difficult and you get to see some gorgeous sites.

It intersects with Imogene Pass, Governor Basin and basically is the end of road 361 out of Ouray. It starts with the Torpedo Eclipse Mill on your right and the Ruby Trust Mine on your left. A little further up the trail and you can see the Atlas Mill on the left.

Last Dollar Road (Easy)
This road was originally an early supply route from Ouray to Telluride. This extremely easy road traverses through picturesque ranches, passes through beautiful aspen forests, and provides scenic views of the San Miguel canyon as you wind your way to Telluride. Beautiful in the fall with its amber colored aspen stands.

Governor Basin Ouray County, Colorado (Easy/Moderate)
Because this trail is not as used as Yankee Boy Basin it ends up being a lot more private. It is a network of trails with lots of sights to see.

The network of trails starts right away after a climb on a shelf road. The whole area is fun to explore. As you are climbing the switchbacks keep your eyes peeled for a very well-hidden trail that leaves from the turnoff in a switchback as you climb and make a right turn. This is the place you will come back to if you make a loop around Sidney Basin. The trail at this end is narrow, off camber, and not traveled very often.

Subscribed. Want to follow this development.

As discussed at the meeting please look at the dates June 3rd – 12th to see if your kids are out of school and that those dates work for your calendar as the proposed dates for this trip. As of now its looking good with most of our folks that are gonna make the trip :cheers:

Is there going to be an established base camp during this adventure or are we going Overland style?

Is there going to be an established base camp during this adventure or are we going Overland style?
We will set a base in Ouray to set out from everyday Ryan, we'll have group camping and hotel options to cover everyone's preference :)

Several people on FB have said that many trails will probably still be closed during the week you have planned.
Thanks Mike we'll definitely look into that :)

Gonna be a GREAT trip :cheers:

I wish I could make this, but I can only do one Colorado trip this year, and I committed to HIH6 (again). Have a great time. Such a beautiful place.

I wish I could make this, but I can only do one Colorado trip this year, and I committed to HIH6 (again). Have a great time. Such a beautiful place.

Thanks, I certainly understand that I hope your trip is a great one as well :cheers:

Soooooo how is/was it guys?

Oh shoot, ok. Im sorry for some reason I thought it we earlier. Well I am leaving NOLA the 22nd to head that direction to spend some time over by the Grand Canyon and Zion prior to 100s in the Hills, and will be in Silverton on Thursday the 28th so maybe I will see you guys!!!

Oh shoot, ok. Im sorry for some reason I thought it we earlier. Well I am leaving NOLA the 22nd to head that direction to spend some time over by the Grand Canyon and Zion prior to 100s in the Hills, and will be in Silverton on Thursday the 28th so maybe I will see you guys!!!

That would be great to see you there, below is our agenda for the week I'll finalize a few details and send it out to our members going. I'll message you my cell phone number.

Agenda for the week: Monday: Imogene Pass (Moderate), Yankee Boy (Easy), Ophir Pass (Easy) Tuesday: Engineer Pass (Moderate), Mineral Creek (Moderate), Cinnamon Pass (Easy) Wednesday: Black Bear Pass (Difficult), lunch in Telluride, Last Dollar Rd (Easy) Thursday: Red MTN Mining Area (Easy), Clear Lake (Easy), Visit Mesa Verde National Park Friday: Corkscrew Pass (Easy), California Pass (Easy), Placer Gulch (Easy), Stony Pass (Easy)

Man, that looks like a great list! Starting on Imogene is going to spoil ya! :hillbilly: So beautiful, and you will end with some great views going cali/corkscrew on the last day.....but really where is there a bad view in that area? haha Great lineup guys. I really hope to see yall out there, and wish I was spending all that time up there to hit all these! I will be in touch buddy!

-Josh ;)

Man, that looks like a great list! Starting on Imogene is going to spoil ya! :hillbilly: So beautiful, and you will end with some great views going cali/corkscrew on the last day.....but really where is there a bad view in that area? haha Great lineup guys. I really hope to see yall out there, and wish I was spending all that time up there to hit all these! I will be in touch buddy!

-Josh ;)

Thanks for the feedback Josh, I completely agree I doubt we find anything with a bad view up there. Safe travel and will be on the lookout for you :cheers:

Putting together a shirt run for the trip, shirts are $10.
13556098_10154309675941972_1288556456_o.jpg

Our final agenda for the trip.
BSLCA Agenda Ouray 2016_Page_1.jpg
BSLCA Agenda Ouray 2016_Page_2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom