Bringing back the 40 (again) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that the 42 is gone i can start working on the 40 again. I brought it back from the dead about 14 years ago and like all 40's it is rusting at all the usual places. When i first restored it i didn't have a welder and i did most body work with bondo and fiberglass mat and cloth and it has come back to haunt me. This time i will try to do it right. The only thing i wont have to touch is the inside of the tub as this was done with thick checker plate steel by a co-worker with good welding skills. The hood was done last year as the old one was not repairable and the first job will be to replace the windshield and probably repair rust in the cowl. On my list will be new front floorboards and the pan below the gas tank that is under the pass seat. Also front bib repair or replace and repair body damage to both front Aqualu fenders. All 4 door bottoms and the side bottoms are badly rusted and i will remove these items to work on at a later date as a soft top will be installed for now. Here are some pics after i hit the green slime with a pressure washer. IMGP1329.JPG IMGP1330.JPG IMGP1331.JPG

IMGP1332.JPG

IMGP1334.JPG

Right on Vern; can't wait to see the beast come back to life. I know you've been wanting to do this for a while. :beer:

Coool to see ya back at it, hope to see you in the trails....

I understand the BJ42, my truck is so collectable, frame is the best I have seen, body not so bad either....wheeling hard and sliding into things..

Good luck and will be watching your build:beer:;)

IMGP1339.JPG
Today i am going to loosen the top so i can flop the windshield down and remove it and get at the rust on the cowl. Here is a pic of the new windshield that i found about 10 years ago and just last year restored and painted it dune beige.

At least there's something .... tho it clearly isn't thread titles or how the internet works. :flipoff2:

Must I explane myself ...:confused: I understand the BJ42 part, meaning it was to valuable after restoration to wheel..:slap:

Must I explane myself ...:confused: I understand the BJ42 part, meaning it was to valuable after restoration to wheel..:slap:

Generally, with your posts...yeah, you must explain...:moon:

The rest of us can't really hear those voices in your head, so you'll have to find a way to translate the grunts and clicking noises into text instead.

( and stop crowing about your damn 42. It's unseemly. :flipoff2:)

Got the windshield frame out and found just a little bit of rust that i should be able to buff right out.While removing the frame i spent several minutes pounding and kicking to get it to fold down until i realized i had to undo the 2 huge black knobs on the inside of the dash. Doh!
There are 3 holes on the cowl that i will cut out and spark in some new metal.
IMGP1340.JPG IMGP1345.JPG

I repaired the cowl this week and gave it a splash of self etching primer. I pulled the padded dash out and did some repairs to it. Took apart the wiper motor and linkage and cleaned and lubed. Straightened some body damage l/f lower cowl. Painted window frame hinges and new hood hinges. Started a fire in my glovebox from my welding and had to reach in and pull out flaming items. I looked like those hippie buskers down at the inner harbour. I was afraid Cam would show up with his fire truck dressed in his yellow slicker with suspenders and no shirt like he did on the last calendar he was trying to sell. IMGP1365.JPG

And now for some red neck body work. First you wait til the wife goes shopping then attach one end of a come-along to the brand new travel trailer and the other to the R/F fender. This action causes the front of said fender to dive downwards so you counter act this with a Jack-All and a jeesus big hammer.And now after lots of pulling ,grunting and jacking the lines line up and the fender seems to be back in it's original position.

IMGP1372.JPG

Awesome.

And now for some red neck body work. First you wait til the wife goes shopping then attach one end of a come-along to the brand new travel trailer and the other to the R/F fender. This action causes the front of said fender to dive downwards so you counter act this with a Jack-All and a jeesus big hammer.And now after lots of pulling ,grunting and jacking the lines line up and the fender seems to be back in it's original position.

Thats pretty funny Vern! Nice work.

A bit off topic, but what size/weight is your travel trailer? Have you towed it much yet? I'm assuming you use your Tundra, and was wondering how well it does towing the travel trailer?

The trailer is 23 feet and weighs about 6000lbs I tow it with my first gen Tundra with small v/8 and don't have any problems. I have tried with v/6 Tacoma and found it sucks on the big hills. The new Tundra with the 5.7 would be a dream but i find them a little too big for a daily driver.

The trailer is 23 feet and weighs about 6000lbs I tow it with my first gen Tundra with small v/8 and don't have any problems. I have tried with v/6 Tacoma and found it sucks on the big hills. The new Tundra with the 5.7 would be a dream but i find them a little too big for a daily driver.

Good to know; thanks Vern. I've been toying with the idea of picking up a first gen Tundra for the towing I do (rather than pushing the little Toyota diesel).

The last few days i have been working on the bib. The reason that they all rust out at the bottom is Mr. T spot welded a channel iron behind the bib for support and to mount the hinge. Because it is not sealed in any way moisture gets behind there and starts to rust so i used a spot weld cutter and removed the channel piece so i can weld in new metal. The channel iron is 2x thicker than the bib and i was able to clean it down to bare metal and will reuse it. See the before and after.

IMGP1379.JPG

IMGP1381.JPG

IMGP1385.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom