Boss Hog's Pig... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pighead

Stop calling it an FJ
Threads
...Or, 2 Pigs enter, one Pig leaves.
Boss Hog brought the runner by this afternoon, the body comes tomorrow morning.
The concept is simple, we take the running gear out of the '78 and put it in the '69 body...easy, right?
We had a couple hours of daylight, so we drained fluids (transfer case was almost dry, transmission was very full...hmmm), pulled some pieces off, got the engine/tranny almost ready to come out.
Pics of the drivetrain donor.

bosshog 001.jpg

bosshog 003.jpg

bosshog 017.jpg

2 hours later...

bosshog 002.jpg

bosshog 007.jpg

bosshog 005.jpg

I'm really, really excited to be getting this build done. It's bittersweet as I hate to see the '78 go. I've easily put 50k on it sine I traded Closetworks my T100 for it. I always wanted to fix the rust and paint it, but I always ended up getting the "have-to's" done, so I never got the "nice-to-haves".

I met Pighead and Ige one day when I saw Twrecks in the Safeway (ugh!) parking lot last winter. Six months later and here I am in their driveway saying goodbye to the 78 formerly known as Elwood on here. I HATE seeing a pig die a slow, rusty death. But it was pretty rusty when I got it, and its gotten even worse. It's running gear and axles are going onto a rust free '69 from Montana I bought up in Sheridan in 2012. Here I am saying goodbye. I'm smiling, but kinda sad...

image-3182835099.jpg

image-3182835099.jpg

Here's the '69 I'm finna (I love saying that) load up and take to Pighead. Then it's off to work...

image-178779958.jpg

image-178779958.jpg

I can appreciate a mint condition or beautifully restored classic as much as the next guy. But if I'm honest with myself, I have to admit I'm hard on vehicles. I'm planning on keeping it simple with this Pig. Paint, make the interior reasonably comfortable (for a Pig), & drive the hell out of it. Stouter bumpers, a Confer rack I'm hoarding in my garage, lift assembly for the rear window (so I don't have to rely on the unreliable electric motor and gears), that kinda thing.

Winches look sexy, but I've never needed one. Would love a RTT, but need to address the "have-to's" first. More of an overlanding/hunting/fishing Pig than a hardcore crawler or "expedition" rig.

Ultimately, I want a go anywhere, anytime, & do anything kinda Pig that isn't leaving body parts on the road every time I hit a bump.

Couldn't be in better hands.

I can appreciate a mint condition or beautifully restored classic as much as the next guy.

It is for this reason I know I will have, at least, two, starting with a resto and looking forward to the wheeler.

Pig that isn't leaving body parts on the road every time I hit a bump.

Where's your sense of adventure?

Haha.

the ol girls still got some metal in her! what are you guys gunna do with ol Elwood? she's seems to be smiling nervously too:frown:

I'm thinkin' there won't be much left after we get through with her...

Northbound and down, loaded up & truckin!

I have to get to a car wash first. It smells like a rodent porta potty in there...

image-2459429580.jpg

image-2459429580.jpg

I'm sure you weren't the only one circling Delancy!

I got to ask, what colors you going with. :)

I knew this question would come up. Ige looked at me suspect yesterday and wanted to ensure I was going with a two-tone scheme. I told her I would, but I still like the idea of a dune beige/white roof look. If I go two tone, I'll probably just go back to the original color (Alhambra?)

Chocolate chip desert camo (with white roof) isn't necessarily out of the question either....

What say all of you?

And I was circling like a vulture already. Haha.

I'm sure Boss Hog is fully aware of 'Cruiser Karma, and it might cheer him up a bit if his '78 helped other Pigs get back on the road...
And, we really don't need all these parts cluttering up our 'Sty. These doors, for instance. And I'm sure somebody needs a pair of late-model taillights, which we have no use for. That early hood doesn't look too bad either, he's going with a late model hood. Maybe make Boss Hog an offer...he's gonna need to finance a front axle rebuild kit, pinion seals, transmission to transfer case seal, transfer case output seals, etc., etc...and more beer for his minions.

First items up for sale....

Vintage, Rare Mt Fuji Miniature Oak door panels. First $150 takes the set. Right side only. Buyer pays shipping. Let me know!

image-4228133743.jpg

image-4228133743.jpg

The other Piggie has landed, I think we have our work cut out for us...

bosshog2 001.jpg

bosshog2 003.jpg

bosshog2 004.jpg

This makes Pighead sad...

bosshog2 002.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom