BFG Mud Terrain on wet pavement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ugh.......i'm such a flake.....siped MT's are my current choice.....I truly hate this particular decision. If the siping would give me the extra control\traction on rainy days, then i think that's what I want to do. I think.....

What size are you thinking of running? I might have some MT/Rs in 35x12.5x15 up for sale...I'm looking to get some Nitto Terra Grapplers for daily driving.

Stick with the ATs. I bought MTRs based on favorable comments here & their undeniable "studly" looks. The PO had 33x12.50 MTRs, but I ditched them for 33x10.50s after the 5.7 Vortec went in. They seem to handle moderate standing water pretty well, but snow & ice are different subjects.

Got stuck in my driveway in a wet, early snow, & then got them siped which helped a little. Hit a patch of black ice at about 25mph with a light throttle & did a 180 into the opposite ditch, flatting a front tire (aired up OK after that), bending the rear driveshaft, & loosening the 4L60E from the AA adapter (looked like the threads in the aluminum adapter were stripped a little by the perfeshunal mechanic who installed it).

Wish I'd gotten ATs or Geolanders. Gonna ride the MTRs out, but if I get a chance to unload them, I will.

you guys are absolutely NOT helping!!!

goodyear mtr's are a completely different animal.. they are horrible in rain compared to bfg mt's . i 150 miles round trip for almost 2 years on 35x!2.50 bfg mt's .. they were just dandy. get em siped and you'll be in good shape.

you guys are absolutely NOT helping!!!

The answer is quite simple, unless you know you need MT tires go with the AT's. Both the BFG and Bridgetone AT's are very good for a daily driver that may see some off road use. As far as siping goes, please don't. I don't know what tire store started this but siping does NOT help rain performance. The sipes you see on a tire are for snow performance and they generally go across the tire. The grooves in a tire that help rain performance go around the tire and need to be quite wide compared to a sipe. The tire just can't pump water through a small sipe fast enough to prevent hydroplaning. Also when a tire store sipes a tire it can have a very detrimental effect on tire wear and noise.

Good luck and have fun.

The AT is a "Traction Rated" tire which means the "feds" or whoever rates these things have tested it. Traction Rated means in states where "traction Tires" or Chains are sometimes required in snow you can run the AT and not bother with chans..If you had the MT on and the police wanted to get technical with you..they could make you chain up the MT where you'd just drive by with the AT.

The AT Is "siped" from the factory..there by the "Traction Tire" rateing...I have MTs on my 60...in heavy rain (like you guys in Austin get) I'd way rather have the AT. MY MT's will slide around in in light rain. I'm switching to the ATs on my next change out. I have to drive 200+ miles to get to the desert areas I run in, then there is no mud. I'm tired of the road noise and slow speed "bumping" from the lugs on the MTs..but that is my choie for my situation,,both or great tires ..

If your gonna hit the trails down there over 50% of the time then MT hands down. If this is a daily driver with occasional trail runs...looks like the AT would still be your tire..

Read up on the "traction rated" deal..that should help you decide.

LOL

I'm gonna print this and hand it to the highway patrol the next time they make me chain up my truck going over Donner Pass or the Syskuse (sp) range. On my company truck I run the BFG AT (All Terrain). They make everybody chain up.

I know you are correct on the sniping and the rest of it. :D

MT + Vortech + wet pavement=slippery as f@#k!

If you run on gravel at all I would not sipe your tires, they will chunk out and piss you off.

The AT's are good for 95 percent of what you need, unless you are in the mud often.

I have owned both and run AT's, hands down.

Plus you save a few bucks as well.

Jason

I run the MT's and am going to switch back to the AT's when they're toast. I want something that will last a little bit longer. I will miss the undeniable confidence the MT's give in mud of any depth though..... they kick the $hit out of ANY AT tire i've ever run in mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom