Best phone mount and location GX 460 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally had time to do this install. No directions, other than a short instagram clip and a youtube vid on how to pull the dash apart for the Beatsonic install. The Instagram makes it look way easier than it is, but it’s an adventure. ;)

Very happy so far. Just need to switch out to black hardware on the Ram mount.
IMG_0939 Large.jpeg

Finally had time to do this install. No directions, other than a short instagram clip and a youtube vid on how to pull the dash apart for the Beatsonic install. The Instagram makes it look way easier than it is, but it’s an adventure. ;)

Very happy so far. Just need to switch out to black hardware on the Ram mount.
View attachment 3549793

Looks good. How much play is there if you press on the left/right edges of the platform. The installer in the instagram clip conveniently only presses over the center support bracket to show how sturdy it is. He slips slightly to the left once and it looks pretty loose.

Looks good. How much play is there if you press on the left/right edges of the platform. The installer in the instagram clip conveniently only presses over the center support bracket to show how sturdy it is. He slips slightly to the left once and it looks pretty loose.
i just went outside and checked for you. Very little play. There are legs on each wing that rest on the dash. Not a great picture.
IMG_0952 Large.jpeg

This is a simple solution I came up with for my RAM mount phone holder. I figured instead of drilling into the dash, I'd drill into this small vent that I could replace if necessary. It is pretty sturdy as it uses the vent's leverage against itself considering how it attaches to the dash.

CC2195D2-A18A-4C53-B82F-191935AE8903_1_105_c.jpeg
IMG_1826.JPG

This is a simple solution I came up with for my RAM mount phone holder. I figured instead of drilling into the dash, I'd drill into this small vent that I could replace if necessary. It is pretty sturdy as it uses the vent's leverage against itself considering how it attaches to the dash.

View attachment 3564749View attachment 3564750
Same place I put mine. I love having it out of the way.

Great idea of drilling into an inexpensive part instead of the dash.
There's something I just can't get past in drilling into something that costly. Kind of like a cringe factor (in my wallet).

Great idea of drilling into an inexpensive part instead of the dash.
There's something I just can't get past in drilling into something that costly. Kind of like a cringe factor (in my wallet).
My thoughts as well. While I don't plan to remove the mount, I know I can replace this piece easily and cheaply if I were to sell the GX.

Reactions: r2m
One benefit of having it (partly) over your vent, when charging, especially when the sun is right on your phone, you can be blowing cool air over it.

One benefit of having it (partly) over your vent, when charging, especially when the sun is right on your phone, you can be blowing cool air over it.
That is soo true! I have noticed that during summer trips when running maps and apps, the phone stays nice and cool!

If we are also discussing the *best* phone mount, the RAM X-Grip is okay, but a pain to operate as it requires two hands. The one I run in my truck is far superior. It is the Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze. It is by far the best mount I have ever used. Simple one-handed operation and adjustable tension. It has never let me down. I have used it for nearly 20,000 miles of overland travel over the years and it's incredible. Here is a picture of the mount when I was traveling around the country in my van.

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 9.24.33 AM.png

Last edited:

View attachment 3564749View attachment 3564750
Very nice. I am definitely stealing this idea.
My thought as well. We go on 12-13 hour road trips to Colorado and Florida. I usually leave my phone plugged in with google maps running the whole time. Gets so hot I can cook an egg on it.

Very nice. I am definitely stealing this idea.

My thought as well. We go on 12-13 hour road trips to Colorado and Florida. I usually leave my phone plugged in with google maps running the whole time. Gets so hot I can cook an egg on it.
Okay, a little rabbit trailing here...
Regarding running Google Maps on trips, I too do it all the time.
For me the best feature, aside from "live dynamic" time till destination, is it constantly shows the local speed limit on the road you're on. That's a huge plus when you roll into a town and miss the posted speed limit.
Going up and down the HWY 395 to Tahoe all the time, the speed limit can be up to 70 MPH, then when you go through a towns like Lee Vining, Lone Pine and others along the route, the speed limit through those towns is 25 MPH and I see all the time tourists blasting through at 40 or 50 MPH, not aware of the actual posted speed. Albeit, I've traveled this road so many times I know it by heart, but on other treks, it's invaluable to know what the posted speed on the section of highway you're on. Heck, I've been on highways cruising along at 70 MPH doing what I think is 5 over the posted speed 65 MPH and realize the speed limit changed to 75 MPH!
... and I'm wondering why everyone is flying past me??

Okay, a little rabbit trailing here...
Regarding running Google Maps on trips, I too do it all the time.
For me the best feature, aside from "live dynamic" time till destination, is it constantly shows the local speed limit on the road you're on. That's a huge plus when you roll into a town and miss the posted speed limit.
Going up and down the HWY 395 to Tahoe all the time, the speed limit can be up to 70 MPH, then when you go through a towns like Lee Vining, Lone Pine and others along the route, the speed limit through those towns is 25 MPH and I see all the time tourists blasting through at 40 or 50 MPH, not aware of the actual posted speed. Albeit, I've traveled this road so many times I know it by heart, but on other treks, it's invaluable to know what the posted speed on the section of highway you're on. Heck, I've been on highways cruising along at 70 MPH doing what I think is 5 over the posted speed 65 MPH and realize the speed limit changed to 75 MPH!
... and I'm wondering why everyone is flying past me??
Waze does the same thing but also shows where most of the cops are hiding..........;)

Does Apple CarPlay work with the infotainment system on these? Some of the newer models let you project your iPhone directly onto the infotainment screen if you have CarPlay installed.
Depends on the year of your GX. Not exactly sure when Toyota gave the GX CarPlay.

Does Apple CarPlay work with the infotainment system on these? Some of the newer models let you project your iPhone directly onto the infotainment screen if you have CarPlay installed.
Beatsonic has a retrofit kit. Pricey, but nice.

Installed the Ram ball on my driver's side defrost vent cover. Great idea @JCliftonB. I used a different mount because it's the only one Amazon could get here before my trip to CO on Sunday. I really like that it mounts the phone completely out of the way and keeps the center console clean. The vent cover itself is a little flimsy, so I'm not sure how it would hold up to bumps off road with the weight of the phone attached. Perfect for road trips though.

full

full

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom