Best Leaf Springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, when I first purchased my 89 FJ62 over a decade ago I put on a Hell For Stout 3" lift. Though I'm happy with the quality of the shackles, I was never too jazzed about the springs. Since, I've added Manafre's rear bumper with tire carrier and can carrier, plus their large capacity fuel tank. The weight of all this, plus gear in the back really causes it to sag in the back. I posted in another thread about having some springs added to the rear leaf pack but it didn't actually help.

So, now I'm looking to replace my leaf springs and shocks while I'm at it. I'm curious what the collective wisdom is on best choice for these items, considering i will also be adding a front winch bumper and will stick to my 31" tires.

Thanks in advance!

Unless you have some springs custom-made, by say, Alcan or someone local to you, OME extra-heavies (CS005's) from Kurt @cruiseroutfit is the only way to go. That's what I have with about the same set up as you (MAF tank, 33's, rear swing-out bumper, and lots 'o junk in the trunk) and not only no sag after 6 years, but still a little bit of stink-bug when the tank is near empty....

I just checked out the complete kit at Curt's. Is anything else required with this to make it stable? Caster correction, extended brake lines, steering box...how long could the list be? I'd like to do it, but at that cost I would need to know if this is just the beginning.

I know, it started the day I bought a Cruiser. There is no end to the negative cash flow because there is no end to the "next mod" disease.

I didn't use or need castor correction with mine, and I bought the complete kit. Did need an extended rear hose. That was it.

Cool. I've got tube bumpers and sliders. This sounds just about right.

OME setup seems to be the best for carrying around a lot of weight (especially in the rear). I'd get OME heavy rear and med front or just heavy/heavy given your gear.

Call Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters and he will talk you through the options.

:edit: FWIW, I did use 4* caster correction shims with my OME springs on the 60. Maybe not "necessary" but made me a much happier camper.

My 3" HFS lift only required extended brake lines... Maybe some sort of extension on the front sway bar. Memory is fuzzy on that one.

So what's the OME lift considered to be, 4"?

You might want to call Dave at 4PlusProducts.com he is LCwizard here on Mud and talk to him about his Mohave springs, he can made to order. From everything I have heard and read they are awesume. They are a little bit more than Dakar or similar grade springs and can get the U.S. made ones.

Definitely going to be using his Mohave springs on my BJ40 build.

Allen

OME kit is considered a 3" lift, but it will lift more in the rear than the front unloaded. Actually, with all your gear and gas tank, it may sit level.

I have some extended braided SS brake lines kicking around in the garage. If you think you want them, send me a "conversation."

OME heavies rear, med front. I've got the med rear and am adding the OME long add-a-leaf.
Recent trip up north with rear bumper/tire swing out/ 3can swing out and Maggiolina RTT (135 lbs)
And it was too low. But the ride and handling is superb even loaded and top heavy.
Don't forget to get the anti-inversion greasable shackles.
I have Dave's 4+ front bumper , and Warn 9500 compressor winch. After 4 yrs the front is still perfect,
and I have 12H-T. I did need shims on front when I put new springs, I think 2 1/2 deg~?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom