Been away a while... Now my BJ-44 is back... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rockaway Beach, NY; but was 14yrs in Saskatoon, CA
Been a while.

Turns out the smoking 2B engine was not blown... I had new clutch placed and new glow plugs...

Glow plugs were the culprit... Now no smoke except a small amount at the stink pipe.

I have 2 3B engines that were gonna be rebuilt and at the ready. Now I only need one for the fj-55. (Neither is for sale at this point.)

Weird.

Electrics and shorts were found and fixed by my mechanic.

I drove her today for 25 miles and drive train is great!

Now off to other issues, but I'm happy and driving her for the first time in 2.5 years.

More to follow.

Best,

T

Last edited:
The engine runs fast and the diaphragm is torn, but I forget the part number and the sources to get a new one... Where can I get a 2B or 3B diaphragm part in that area that controls idle. Also, what is the name of the part.

EDIT - Diesel diaphragm is Denso part number 090580-0041. Source is Diesel shoppes or Cruiser Dan. Found it in an old post...MY old post :/

The electric under the dash diesel controller is intermittent, so I disconnected it and I need to stop the engine with clutch in gear. There used to be a French site where the guy built a new Diesel fuel controller piece. Is it possible to instead just rebuild my piece? What is the name of that part that has a lever to control Diesel flow from cold to regular to off almost like a choke in a carbureted car?

I have the super low geared engine and transfer case as original on the truck. If I upgrade to 3.78 differentials, will I be reasonably able to drive, or should I just upgrade tires to 35 inch and do a rubber overdrive?

Where can I get parts to re-gear speed sensor/speedometer?

Thanks,

T

Last edited:
EDIC is the part that controls fuel shut off at the IP.....the part under the dash is the fuel controller.
To re gear your speedo you just need to change the plastic gear in the trans end of the cable not sure what tooth ratio you will need depends on tire sizing.
I have 33's seem to work okay on highway not so good at city driving at 60 kph 3rd revs on the high side and 4th bogs on the low side of revs.

Last edited:
Welcome Back! Glad to have another 44 back on the road!

So, now the little (and not so little) things begin...

I need to place the new-to-me springs into the car to raise her 3", and then I will run 35" tires. and re-gear the speedo. (Any sources on speedo plastic gears and what ratios I will need to change to?)

I have not decided on the new rims yet, but I'm tending toward steel 18 inch rims. (Anyone know any sources for plain Jane 18" steel 6 bolt steel rims with proper offset? I'm thinking of steel bead-lock weld on units to make the rims indestructible (not for bead-lock). I will custom drill the rims to allow rivets to hold springs for TOYO hubcaps.

I will need to replace all the lines with plastic in preparation for bio-Diesel. (Anyone know of a good source and the sizes I will need?)

I will consider swapping to a 5 speed tranny, but I want to do the rubber overdrive first to see if it is good enough. I will be jumping 31 to 35 so that is a substantial 20 or so percent increase in gearing.

I have a turbo set-up I never installed, so that will need to go in... Now that the engine is NOT smoking anymore (with the insertion of new glow-plugs, I can proceed.) Pressure testing of the engine is pending BUT she does not smoke!!! EGT and water injection and pressure gauges to follow.

Stink tube needs extension to either recirculate fumes into the air intake or channel fumes out to the rear.

Axles will be rebuilt. Pumpkins will not be touched.

I will need to convert to power steering from the current Armstrong unit, but I am RHD so I will be asking many questions soon... I don't know how to proceed. I may prefer not to go RHD FJ-60 style for simplicity sake, but I don't know what box to use. :(

I will order new ball joints and tie rod ends. I will rebuilt steering "boxes" with 2 penny trick.

I am looking for sources of 24 Volt LED signaling and back-up and hazard lights.

I am considering running 12 volt headlights in series as the 24 volt lights are a PIA to get and cost a million dollars.

Are there such things as 24 Volt LED headlights? (I'm thinking of getting 24 Volt yellow fog lights as a back-up. There is a 31 inch LED strip for 160 bucks).

I will go after market A/C unit, but I will need to call BreckenridgeCruiser's mechanic as he had some great ideas...

I will need a radio system, and I'm thinking of a head unit with rear view camera options, (but that can wait).

Speedometer cluster needs to convert to digital or better analog or something else. Either that or I need to find a 50 AMP meter ASAP (or a Volt meter that fits the area).

I will have an entire new body made of fiberglass as I will be moving near a beach...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom