Auburn LSD and 4.88s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well my rear differential lost the little retaining pin and started making noises. At first it sounded like a marble was rolling around in it when I would let off the throttle and the transmission would shift into a higher gear. I came across a YouTube video about a bad u-joint on a Tundra and the sound was an exact match. So I decided to replace all 3 u-joints. The click clack noises disappeared for 3,500 miles.

Then while cruising down the interstate at 75mph, it started clacking clacking I decided to take it to the dealership for the 90k mile service, and asked them to look into the noise. They said they couldn't here anything, and I had to get the manager to ride with me. After 30 seconds of driving, he apologized, saying he didn't know how the tech didn't hear it. Later that day I got the call, $2900 for a new differential.

Today, I decided to call Just Differentials and I ordered an Auburn LSD and a 4.88 gear pack. It was a very positive experience. They answered my questions, gave me pricing, and completed my order in minutes.

I've been rolling on 35" tires for the past 6 years and I'm excited to get my torque back!

Nitro Gears came in yesterday. Auburn LSD is scheduled to arrive on Friday!

WQyFcFg.jpg

I'm looking forward to reading your impressions of the Auburn, I've been on the fence for one of those for a long time...

-Subscribed-

Are you doing the install yourself or through a shop? I haven't had the opportunity to tear into a 10'' yet, curious if they still use the same setup as the 9.5''. Look forward to hearing about driving impressions

Are you doing the install yourself or through a shop? I haven't had the opportunity to tear into a 10'' yet, curious if they still use the same setup as the 9.5''. Look forward to hearing about driving impressions

I don't have any of the tools to properly set and measure the required tolerances for backlash, torque resistance, etc. However my best friend is the engine and transmission mechanic for a Cadillac dealer. After pulling the differentials in his driveway, we loaded them into his car so he can tear them apart and re-gear them at work. Then we will re-assemble everything in his drive way. More pics and info to come!

Auburn LSD arrived today! Picked up some new rear axle seals, too. My friend is going to take everything to work with him and start assembling!

CnOjV0F.jpg

Ux9o82V.jpg

My buddy just sent me these pics of the tear down.

EXbhQ2B.jpg

AS5bHps.jpg

Last night actually, we put the rear differential back in the axle housing, reinstalled the axles with new seals, and hooked up all the brake stuff. It is ready to be filled with fluid. We started on the front and have the passenger axle out. My buddy actually took a job at another dealership so he has been busy finishing up some other projects and moving everything from his bays. If I'm lucky I can get the front diff dropped this week for him to re-gear and press the new bearings on, and reinstall it this weekend.

2FVqPEw.jpg

Got the front dropped yesterday. Now just waiting on my friend to open it up and re-gear it! The hardware that came with the Low Range Offroad differential drop, has rusted way beyond all the factory nuts and bolts.

KCitvOf.jpg

Unfortunately, the front differential master rebuild kit came with a two front pinion bearings and not one front and one rear. Just Differentials worked everything out promptly over the phone and sent me another bearing and a return label to send the duplicate bearing back. If everything goes well I can be reassembling the truck tomorrow.

So, my buddy got the front differential broke apart, re-geared, and re-assembled.

PtdkoMM.jpg

GqdsOf7.jpg

Then the other night after work we put the front of the truck back together. Everything went surprisingly smooth. Filled the diffs up with gear oil and the Auburn LSD additive for the rear.

First Impressions:
The truck is driving great. If feels much nicer in power, acceleration, shift points, and cruising rpm. Considering the amount of towing that I do with 35" tires, I think the 4.88 gears are going to pay off. And for the Auburn, can you say TRACTION. This thing is GRIPPY. When giving it a little extra gas while making a right turn on wet roads, I can feel the inside tire biting into the pavement. I can't wait for the next time I have to go pull a piece of equipment off a jobsite right after it rains, so I can see what this thing can really do.

Thanks @just differentials for the hardware.

I'd like to read how they perform in loose gravel, mud.
Thank you for the updates.

I'd like to read how they perform in loose gravel, mud.
Thank you for the updates.

The other day I had to back up a gravel driveway base that was just spread out and hadn't been driven on or packed yet. While pushing over 10k pounds on a trailer up hill. I started off fine until i lost momentum when the trailer wheels hit some ruts. Then both rear tires started to dig in the very loose 2 and 3 inch stone. The Auburn definitely delivered power to both wheels, but with the weight of the trailer going up hill I just dug in. I switched over to 4LO and climbed right out of the holes and through the ruts and pushed onward up the hill. The truck feels extremely capable with the added traction in the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom