ATV for plowing/mowing etc (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After spending every 2nd day the past 2 weeks shoveling snow, I am now dreaming of an easier way. :hmm:

At work I've been somewhat underwhelmed by the 6x Gator w/plow, having had to extricate it from several high-centered events whilst clearing the parking lot. :confused:

Don't want to buy a dedicated plow-truck, as my driveway ain't that big, and I would like to use whatever to eventually help build trail n haul materials up/firewood down from a steep hill behind my house.

So I've been pondering an atv. Curiously, one of my buddies wants one as well, but lives too far away for us to share.

I read through the threads, and found a list of models here https://forum.ih8mud.com/motorcycles-atvs/268088-4x4-atvs.html. Obviously I want 4wd, and I'm guessin a bigger engine is somewhat better for pushing snow/hauling gravel, but other than that.... school me.

My property: 2 steepish acres, 100'driveway w/5* slope, increasing to 30* after another couple hundred feet of fence.

Buddy's property: 20 flat acres, streamside, tall grasses w/riparian trees n shrubs, 3/10th' mile driveway.

And yes, I've drooled over all the Cabela's accessories... ;)

I have an 09 Suzuki KingQuad 750, it's basically a yard tool, I plow with it, gather firewood, skid small logs out of the woods and I plan on picking up a brush mower for it this summer. I didn't really care about name brands when I bought, the KingQuad was in stock and had a decent price. I grew up with a Yamaha Big Bear 350 and later Grizzley, both excellent machines, very dependable, you could beat the hell out of them and they just never died. I also had friends with Honda Foremans, Suzuki KingQuads and Kawasaki Bayous that had good luck with those machines. I'm not familiar with the Polaris, CanAm/Bombardier or Arctic Cat quads, although I see tons of Polaris Sportsman machines out there and have heard good things. The newer machines are pretty cushy in comparison to the older ones, fuel injection, some have power steering, auto transmissions, etc. I'd recommend going to reputable dealership and looking around, also there are plenty of clean used late model machines out there as well for a considerably less than new.
A few accessories or mods I've found very handy if not mandatory to get anything done are cranking up the shocks, having the racks and bumper Line-Xed, bigger rack(s)(I have one of the Moose drop down rear racks, big improvement), receiver hitch, good skid plating and a winch is handy.

Last edited:
Plowed with an Artic Cat 500, 5ft blade. Blade and attachments are kind-of spendy. Around !,200 plus you have to have the winch on the front. That was a 5 ft composite blade. Snow doesn't stick to it like a metal blade.

good input.

buddies shopping now, I'm gonna have to wait til fall...

dont use the winch to lift and lower the plow, you'll wear out the last foot of your winch line real quick, and probably not notice it until you need it...not that i would know from personal experience

so how is the plow supposed to be moved vertically, if not by winch?

dont use the winch to lift and lower the plow, you'll wear out the last foot of your winch line real quick, and probably not notice it until you need it...not that i would know from personal experience
This is probably the biggest down side of using the winch to raise and lower the plow instead of the lever, this happened with me once so far this winter; that said it's pretty easy to fix the winch cable.

I plow with my Kodiak 450. I haven't had any problems yet. It is my first quad and probably my last. It does everything I need it to when plowing and trail riding.

I also have a brush cutter. They work great together. We cut trails at the ranch which is great. You can find more info on atvtime or mudhole. Best of luck!

Some people use the cable in the wintertime for plowing and change the spool with a synthetic for the summer time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom