Around the world on an R1 anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:eek::eek:

"Around the world" trips are a dime a dozen... On BMW or KTM Adventure bikes, or Transalps or Africa Twins, or KLRs...

...But I've never soon one done on a sport bike! :cool:

:eek::eek:

"Around the world" trips are a dime a dozen... On BMW or KTM Adventure bikes, or Transalps or Africa Twins, or KLRs...

...But I've never soon one done on a sport bike! :cool:

I'm not sure what I would take around the world, but it sure wouldn't be an R1. I was reading about two dudes who were doing it on Honda Cubs! I think I'd choose an XR650 or KLR 650. Simple, light, parts galore world wide. I'm pretty sure you'd be on your GS looking every part the adventure tourer!;)

I'm not sure what I would take around the world, but it sure wouldn't be an R1. I was reading about two dudes who were doing it on Honda Cubs! I think I'd choose an XR650 or KLR 650. Simple, light, parts galore world wide. I'm pretty sure you'd be on your GS looking every part the adventure tourer!;)

Here's someone who's doing Sydney to London on a CT110 Postie Bike:

Sydney Australia to London England on a moped. The adventure travel blog of Nathan Millward | The Postman :cool:

I'd probably get a bigger GS bike, like a R1150GS (one that does not have CANBUS), and slap a sidecar on it. :D

That is really cool; I've always found sport bikes uncomfortable for any kind of long range riding, more power to that guy for adapting to it.

Bunburner Gold-ND/SD/WY/MT - ADVrider

Not exactly around the world, and on a CBR600RR instead of an R1, and only over 24 hours, but it was an adventure. For me at least.

Around the world on an R1 certainly wouldn't be for the meek, but once you get used to the position, it probably wasn't so bad. You're basically numb after the first couple hundred miles anyway. :cheers:
P1010703.JPG
Reile's Acres to Billings BB1500-backwards-Sept (2).jpg

Thanks. I'd love to be doing it right now with a rifle scabbard on my tank bag. :)

R1s are actually very comfortable sportbikes. I've ridden mine across country more than a few times. Its a misconception that sportbikes are uncomfortable unless you have back problems and are just elderly and broken down. In that case a living room couch might be uncomfortable also...lol

R1s are actually very comfortable sportbikes. I've ridden mine across country more than a few times. Its a misconception that sportbikes are uncomfortable unless you have back problems and are just elderly and broken down. In that case a living room couch might be uncomfortable also...lol
Circle,
I missed your post way back. :)

That's a 100% true statement right there. The first couple long rides might feel a little awkward, but after a few, it's like your body just melts right in where it's supposed to be.

Stand up every once in awhile when/if my butt starts getting numb, give the legs a shake, and I'm always good for as long as I have gas in the tank. Maybe with a 500 mile range tank my story would change though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom