Anyone up for Wheelin in Big Bear Saturday 9/24? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So after talking with my wife, it looks like we will do some mild Back Country Roads on Friday afternoon 2-3pm ish and then Gold Mountain on Saturday afternoon 2:30-2:45ish. If there is time we may run John Bull on Saturday late afternoon/evening. In regards to Friday, I will probably head down into the junction of the Santa Ana River and Bear Creek confluence from 7 Oaks. Do some native wild trout fishing with the kids. Anybody is welcome to join us. A fully stock 80 should have zero issues. They are all fire roads we will be using.

@NLXTACY @Qball @jtwopark @ewillis
Anyone interested in this gathering?

That's a definite maybe.....sorry won't know my schedule till that week. Gold mountain is a bumpy ride if you have 35s, John Bull needs locker and sliders. If we start gold mountain at 2:30 with bunch of rig and beginners I don't think we would have time for John Bull. If I can go I propose those of us want to do John Bull do John Bull earlier.

So I should have my 33"s?
Why do you say it's bumpy for 35"s? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

It's all gonna be bumpy but with 35s and pick the right line all gold mountain is a just a bumpy ride. With 33 there might be a bit more challenge than just a bumpy ride.

That's a definite maybe.....sorry won't know my schedule till that week. Gold mountain is a bumpy ride if you have 35s, John Bull needs locker and sliders. If we start gold mountain at 2:30 with bunch of rig and beginners I don't think we would have time for John Bull. If I can go I propose those of us want to do John Bull do John Bull earlier.
Doing John bull in the morning and then Gold mtn in the afternoon is fine too. I won't be able to come along for the John Bull am run but I am local so I can run John Bull whenever. I have run Gold Mountain in 45 minutes before but that was with my XJ on 37s with a 1-ton drivetrain. I didn't stop and get out even one time. I think an average trail time would be 2 hours but with a big group probably closer to 3. One of these days I'm going to get an early start and do the entire loop from Gold Mountain to John bull to Holcomb Creek down to Dishpan and down and around to Cleghorn to the 15.

Last edited:
Does Gold Mtn run through to 3N16 or is it out and back? I've read conflicting info on the webs..

Goes through to 3N16. I think the intersection is at 34.299161, -116.837316

Last edited:
Does Gold Mtn run through to 3N16 or is it out and back? I've read conflicting info on the webs..
There are a few options as you exit the trail. You can cut right and loop back around to the trailhead which takes you by the city dump. You can cut left and go towards 3n16 and into Big Bear or up across over to John bull.

Is Gold Mtn. more technical than JB? Not trying to switch it all up, but just wondering if we could all run Gold Mtn. as a group, in 2-3 hrs, and then those that maybe don't want to run JB, because of its technicality, can cruise down 3n16 and explore other parts of big bear. Then meet up later together again??? Other options???? Just sayin.

My understanding about JB is that it requires a "more built up" rig.
Some will run JB in the morning and then meet the rest of us mall crawlers to run Gold Mtn together.

@Dragos80 I've run Gold Mtn numerous times with 2" lift, no sliders, no belly armor, no lockers, on 33's. Dragged the stock hitch a few times but that's what it's there for. Just watch your lines and you'll be fine. Learning to navigate these trails with open diffs and 33's will make driving them with 35's and lockers that much easier.

And you'll have a great view to look forward to at the top
OKFoVS4sd9zNCQV6RR1TWPXntwsCiCXHUd8iNtHxGI-IF8Rwn_nKTOD2p5-0hTRsfnjWNOlaOSTenGUWCSWaRmTjPngD4nz0avc0hcoR00hdZzARCMAdUUNYw9lSHymbxVkpQtHPcGLEG3TUekc7Dx0rOPN_C2DDkVMzgYzEMZAmh3kR0Jm4e0t44lf4Yz9kPHzHvMZzNfwmz1Ep5NcUfX_2rh6IKgytPseV7PBbV3qngHJdGrFAZnODnFDGACCHEiaoUXvhUQEkx_e_CUFtBhaLx6qDbLkeVdwisMmkUnH_rLKSrCuBQ6kmeUZjY8-ZII5zrzk8PF8kOmFKe8aE9jiGAbkFX8cQmhapAYef4aBetxHVY4zp-jMuxyntDiQ37LtjBNTqrNcgDUCQ4yEJeyoZE9v7wP_fxcrKDhDwq99GTq6CObCkgIVv6wn0JyVXQSnmr4ky3kDQVj1WKv_Ilg9tZsL_NmYg5MOzuveyJLpFsdyeUTjz9rnQdIe4XclRtDiuxTZkd0iqoQLOrckw_cznLjMm-7IisefVe9u-yYeAhJx-XAyW2lKQ8Jpf5TKkrV8Q62tkgTcjjXFGwikOK2XweuxZUa3Avv73zJcwBe0S3zkr=w750-h296-no

In that case I gotta remove the backup camera (mounted inside the hitch). It's a simple plug and play thingy.

Gold mtn. is significantly less technical than John Bull. Gold Mtn. can also easily be ran in 2-3 hours with time built into that for stops, picture taking, etc. I'm all set for Saturday wheelin. Will be on HWY 38 and glass road at 2:15pm. Probably wait there for a bit to see if anyone joins then on to the trail head. Should arrive at the trail head around 2:45 and will head out on the trail at about 3pm. I need to be off the trail by 6pm a the latest. I guess we are taking the inlaws to dinner in Big Bear. Another Lame!!

Here is a shot of Glass road and HWY 38. It's the road you take down to 7 Oaks Campground. If you google map it you go through either Yucaipa or Mentone and go up 38. You will pass Forest Falls, then pass Angeles Oaks, and about 15 minutes past Angeles Oaks will be Glass Rd. on your left side. I will be parked off the highway somewhere near there. Probably the first turn off available just before Glass rd. The built 80 should stand out pretty good. If you google "7 Oaks Mountain Resort" the directions will have you take 38 to Glass Rd. and then down to the campground. Use those directions just stop at Glass Rd.

Last edited:
Fellas. Pardon my newbieness to this trail.
So Brad. Just so I (we) get familiar with location and times. If we meet up at Hwy 38 and Glass we then drive towards 7 oaks resort? How much further is GM? If we start our way through the trail at 3 pm, and if we make it through in 2-3 hrs, where exactly will we end up? Big Bear lake?

Last edited:
The trail for GM is 3N69 located on the north west side of Baldwin Lake. Once you go over the peak the trail connects to 3N16. At that point you can head east and cruise 3N16 all the way to Crab Flats, go to other trails like JB, or go east and head back to the 38.

a7LWU4hb-qQXKp1Al2OQRFSALq0J0tybROs6bwo7x2YFAA92HSP4lsgKNn9SHo3clwAW5OcUcGllsqVnReYkA6qp1pQeYXAZ1TzRApRclnXbVT4QUrAYRsZgkxf7eeTE17-C_E5vdtbPIUrb1DsYD1yISq77eqk7LXUijrZK2AVpCThtfp4v7HLe-23V1yp-rGj4FdyHmO4vFBHPktSHpXk8D6HgBQhTXpAhA8ukjzVQ4P6UThpHz87ptkUeb-k7XEKz4FdZB_NIdZ0waNHWVaaXN7OgDjzHNV_kwL3lWPmNoRSP0WEJ2toKBSJeouIjk_TqsOtdyHj3cCqa2H9hR5jXOVQPBmzj1Exs7abKubHlC5uLIVWydAVG5JF7O2g7wU6iA1aEpILLOQ612BxYAGwqvwwDCtx6d6_iegArJnERjHSq9-P7AhYOWfBZYqsxWESHobDqJ9dvkD30mgSjFvkZFFrZGJorZIA18tCaeYmY52qmJFcqkiXXTUONQVIidPDvngNpprzsZVq4IAlDKGyJj2AeF6MHkax2dFrf0BOD3ncM64gj4J2tc8Zb28Pk9cDiVoZykoyNXHoR9mbK2wFa4TQRyVM4nz1umeSmkwjK-yyd=w426-h388-no

Map of the off roads trails around Big Bear. You can stop at the Discovery Center and get a large paper version for free.

Attachments

• stelprdb5202570.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 199

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom