1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody with chromium plating experience?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Brog, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Brog

Brog

Since I can't find a replacement for my well worn '67 F rocker shafts, I plan to grind them down back to a true round state and then have a couple of .001"s chromed. Then we'll grind/ polish them back down to their max dimension. Hopefully being better than new.

Has anyone had any experiences or have any insight into this before I start?
    Thanks,
    Brog

2. pablo

pablo

That plating can't be significantly thick enough to grind again. How worn are they? What is the specifications in the service manual?
    Pablo

3. Brog

Brog

The manual has the limits at 18.475-18.493.
    The smallest diameter measures 18.400.
    That means I need a layer of chrome at least 0.0375mm (.0015"). We could probably get around .002" coverage.
    The main problem is that the bushings are worn and I can't find replacements so I need the shaft as large/ smooth as possible. I looked at having them made but they have a elliptical oil groove which would be tricky.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Brog

4. cruzer

cruzer

Try CruiserParts.net in NH

They helped a local guy with a top end for his early F engine in an FJ25...he need new rockers and he had them.

Stew

5. pablo

pablo

Brog, you understand that the service manual tolerance gives you a window of .0007" on diameter of the shaft to nail that specification. Be sure that the shop you are taking it to is truly competent to perform such an operation. Consider also the measurement of the bushing as well. Are they in specification? How even is the wear? Those numbers are too much to ask of most pin gages. Pin gages are in the range of .0002" from the nominal size listed on them and either come plus or minus the number stated on them by .0002. Is the shop where your engine block stored at 68 degrees? That ensures accuracy. Suppose that you invest money and effort to put the the shaft is within specification. Well now your bushing shaft combination might lead to issues because the bushing had uneven wear not noticable to the machininst. Tell them that your machinist buddy wants to know what methods they are using to measure and what they plan to do to correct these numbers and get back with me.
    Pablo
    pablonavrot@yahoo.com