Another suspension question... (Unique-ish I promise) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I've found myself in a bit of a pickle with my current suspension setup and could use some thoughts, insights, etc. Rig is a '93 FZJ80.

Currently, nothing on the suspension is stock aside from some fresh OEM bushings and rear panhard bar (Using DVS 3" Bracket). Front panhard, steering rack, DVS Radius Arms, Sway Bars, Bumpstops, the works.

Where the problem lies, is two years / 10,000mi ago I changed my shocks to Dobinson MRRs, Specifically the 0-3" standard travel (MRA59-A683/A682 front & rear). But I did not change my springs at that time. Currently, springs are OME 2850 & 2860 with DVS 1/4" Spring Spacers. My build has bloated far beyond the capabilities of the OME coils and I am currently bottoming out on everything.

I am looking for insight if anyone has suggestions on current springs to go along with this suspension, built around a 2.5-3.5" lift.

Current weight is 6,940lbs fully loaded with a 3180 / 3760 front & rear split. More specifically with 402lbs in front (ARB Bumper, 31D AGM battery x2, Warn VR10 w/ synthetic line, ARB twin compressor, and minor other goodies & between 235-387lbs in the rear with the rear bumper, spare tire, etc. (with maximum weight including carrying three full jerry cans of fuel / water).

I was hoping to stick with Dobinson and install a combination of:
C97-144VTB/145VTB Variable Rate (3.5" w/ 220+lbs front / 3.5" w/ 300-400lbs rear) ~ OR ~ C97-146VTB/147VTB Variable Rate (2.5" w/ 220+ front / 2.5" w/ 300-400lbs rear) but these are advertised as long travel springs and they recommend an entirely different shock setup.

The C59-170/171 Single Rate (3" w/ 110-220lb front / 3" <440lb rear) split seems to be the recommended springs for my current shocks. However, they are not available in black, and as minor as it is I REFUSE to run the hideous Dobinson Teal springs on my cruiser.

MY QUESTION IS - Can anyone see issues with running the variable rate Dobinsons on my current shock setup OR recommend a non-Dobinson alternative to fix my predicament? I'm not in a position where I want to spend $3,000+ on new shocks to replace a barely used set on top of another $1,000 for springs.

Sorry for the wall of text, just trying to save myself from making a $1,000 mistake that turns into a $4,000 solution.

I've not used Dobinson springs on my 80 but I've researched it a good bit. It seems they typically net out more lift than expected even on a heavier rig. Something to consider and look into. I would suggest contacting a Dobinsons dealer such as Cruiser Outfitters or a other and discuss. SLEE may be another good option too. They are always helpful and offer quality parts and service.

I wouldn't get hung up on the color, that's an easy fix as suggested above.

I have variable rate tourflex 2.5” extra heavies on my 92 and they’re excellent. Surprisingly compliant on small stuff, they handle heavy loads capably—minimizing squat and body roll—and they’ve got tons of downtravel to keep a level cabin and wheels on the ground.

Problem is, if you dislike bright springs, they’re fire engine red.

I've not used Dobinson springs on my 80 but I've researched it a good bit. It seems they typically net out more lift than expected even on a heavier rig. Something to consider and look into. I would suggest contacting a Dobinsons dealer such as Cruiser Outfitters or a other and discuss. SLEE may be another good option too. They are always helpful and offer quality parts and service.

I wouldn't get hung up on the color, that's an easy fix as suggested above.
The color is the big issue, but I am concerned about the sag of the front springs. They say 3" with 220+ lbs but don't specify a range. I think with my spacers it would probably end up being adequate up front but being at almost double the 220 up front, has me concerned.

I think if I went with the 2.5" variable rated springs, if it netted me a little more than advertised it would be alright, compared to the 3.5" variables. I just don't know if the variable rate springs would cause any unforseen problems if I'm not running the recommended shocks.

Why not rattle can the teal springs black? Or get them blasted and powder coated.
I'd prefer to powder coat just for aesthetics, it just seems like an annoyance when the springs I really want are the variable rated pairs and these are both linear and in a color that I would have to modify.

I went Bilstein 5100's on the 4runner because they are ride height adjustable for the fronts and I knew I was going to be
building an extra 200 pounds of bumper and winch later. Worked out great, just moved the C-clip up one more notch.
Super happy with OME coils 906/880's.
Agree with bwesty's advice of calling Cruiser Outfitters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom