American Heart Transplant: FJ60 + Vortec (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On post #196 pic #4.
Take care of them wires or they will get cut after a few hundred miles... ( im sure you will but just saying).

On your plumbing for the modded tank.. You need to to have the GM canister above the tank highest point level... Your vent solenoid can be near the canister or engine.... I put it on the engine the second time around as it got clogged with dust the first time I put it under the frame.

You can do away with the fuel vapor separator and cap off all the nipples on the plate that is under the frame, except for one (the thickest hose) that continues to be used as a breather for the filler neck...
manuchao-albums-fzj60-tercera-parte-picture17273-capped-all-but-one-nipples-yeah-baby-toyota-fuel-evap-one-breather-main-spout.jpg

On the tank you will need one nipple for the breather, one nipple for the fuel pump... Your pump should have 3 fittings One for fuel, one for canister and one for tank.
I think I got it right......:D

Yes I will wrap those wires.... still tidying up the wiring :whoops:

Manu... you're spot on as usual!!!! It so nice to have someone knowledgeable about this exact swap!!

What did you use to cap the nipples in the tank and on the the plate?

Also, is regular fuel grade hose acceptable for all the EVAP lines? I notice GM use like a poly/plastic type line... fuel hose is vapor tight though right???

GM pump has three fittings... 1) fuel supply 2) fuel return 3) EVAP

Last edited:
Tank was custom made so, not your stock tank.
I welded the the plate shut.

I used regular fuel hoses.. not the fancy FI rated fuel hose... they work fine.
ahh thats right you have a return line.... I didn't have that... that's what's different... no biggie tho'.

Little more progress. slow and steady as usual.

Cooling system done. U'l notice a JTR steam vent/bleeder if you look closely.

Napa hoses 8891 (upper) and 9045 (lower) worked well here.

Gates 5/8 heater hose worked well.

DSCN4539.jpg

DSCN4538.jpg

Now for the totally experimental in-tank fuel pump. I have no idea how this is going to work out, but it SHOULD work. Time will tell.

Be sure you wash the gas tank several times with soap and hot water prior to cutting drilling welding etc. ** Disclaimer: If you blow yourself into smithereens because you try this, don't blame me.**
I nearly crapped my pants when I struck the first arc on the tank, but I washed it with laundry detergent like 10 times, and filled it up with water all the way. It worked out well.

Start with a virgin tank.

DSCN4472.jpg

Ya cut a hole right here...

DSCN4528.jpg

Note the built in sump right under this spot... convenient

DSCN4529.jpg

Note the baffling in the tank... nice (they don't build tanks like this nowadays... i looked at a lot in the junkyard, most are just big empty tanks)

DSCN4531.jpg

The fuel pump is disassembled and the pump lays right down in the sump with both screen pickups on the bottom toward the back.

DSCN4533.jpg

Hack the legs off the pump to fit and welded a little crossbar to mount the pump to it so it wont float away. :)

DSCN4532.jpg

DSCN4546.jpg

DSCN4556.jpg

DSCN4555.jpg

Use gates submersible fuel hose for this only.. SAE spec 30r10

DSCN4543.jpg

Then weld the vetteworks ring to the tank above the hole ya cut. I fully welded it and then sealed the tank using a really trick product called "exo-coat" (external gas tank sealer) from summit.

DSCN4540.jpg

Then install pump

102_0018.jpg

102_0017.jpg

Then I got to work on the fuel sender with the hybrid toyo/GM dual sender as orangefj45 aka georg pioneered. This is for emissions purposes.

DSCN4549.jpg

DSCN4550.jpg

DSCN4547.jpg

DSCN4552.jpg

Tested the sump to see @ what angle it will still hold fuel.

At over 50 * the sump still has fuel. It works out well that the pump pickups are at the back of the sump too.

102_0015.jpg

102_0016.jpg

Got some goodies in too

DSCN4494.jpg

DSCN4501.jpg

DSCN4496.jpg

DSCN4500.jpg

Very slick.. on the tank... I like it a lot !!

never seen a in-tank fuel pump in that orientation.... I guess you'll know fairly soon if it will work that way.

love to hear how it works, looking to do the exact same. Would also be interested in all parts needed to make your fuel system work so i can order the same stuff.

never seen a in-tank fuel pump in that orientation.... I guess you'll know fairly soon if it will work that way.

Ya, totally experimental so I'm crossing fingers. We'll see soon.

If it doesn't work I'll use a 62 tank or have one built.

I got:

Electrical 90% done, including OBDII, MIL, and TCC (with dual brake switch).

Cooling system is 100% including passenger mounted Toyota coolant recover (using factory bolt hole).

Fuel system is 100%... I went to a professional hose maker: Teflon steel braided lines from pump to corvette filter ~18"..... then filter...then 6ft. steel 3/8 hard line from corvette filter to bottom of firewall....then Teflon steel braided line to the fuel rail ~53"

When I had my power steering HP line made at Arizona Tubes and Hoses, the guy there talked me out of using the pushloc hose. He stated that with new gasoline formulations (10-20* ethanol additive) actually weep through most rubber hose material used for the pushloc. He stated Teflon is the only way to go for fuel... Outlast the vehicle typically.

It was the same price as the pushloc and done professionally... cant go wrong with that.

Fluid capacities:

5.3 truck - 6 qts

4l60e - 11 qts

power steering +/- 1.2 qts

cooling - unknown +/- 4 gallons

The surgeon finished stitching the new heart into the recipient... the paddles were charged, and electricity was struck into the donor heart for the first time...

SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started on the first turn of the key!!

Just wanted to share the good news.

Next is exhaust fabrication and fix a leak at the tranny cooler fittings (on radiator)

Dan,

Good job. I'll be giving you a call. Got some more to share about the output bearing. Got to pull the tank this morning. matt

Just thought I'd share more good news!!!!

Got the exhaust done, and first road test was toady! O M G this thing has some serious marbles!!!!!!!

Ran good for the most part. Trying to take it easy for the new trans and stuff to break in.

The never ending list:
Need to get oil/temp senders worked out
I have a weird rattle coming from shifter area
Finish some wiring and clean it up
Find out why I lost my dash lights and my tail lights.
yadayadayada

l want to get a video posted and some more pictures to come for sure.

Congrats! the big day is always exciting :)

congrats! nothing beats the first time driving a v-8 cruiser!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom