All the roof rack options for Land Cruiser 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you just want to mount a cargo carrier why not just use your stock cross bars...unless you have other uses in mind.
I do have other uses in mind, unfortunately. Cargo carrier, fly rod holders, fuel, traction boards and 2 canoes. I’m sure I can come up with something.

I don't normally jump into these but hey we could actually help with that, have 2 bolt-on solutions actually that might work for you.

First would be to add our multi brackets & tube clamps, 4 of each, then repurpose some extended length Yakima bars you may already own, or could source locally The multi brackets have slots on the bottom that bolt up to your extrusions, and the curves on the top of them and tube clamps are sized for Yakima bars. They were made for this application. Multi Brackets — Gamiviti - http://www.gamiviti.com/multi-brackets

Second would be we could weld you a pair of cross bars at any length you desire- would be round steel, and they land on a base plate with a 3" hole pattern. You could then add our extrusion adapter plates to get those to mount to your extrusions. Cross Bars — Gamiviti - http://www.gamiviti.com/cross-bars and Adapter plates — Gamiviti - http://www.gamiviti.com/adapter-plates.

Actually a third option would be to just purchase some longer extrusions from 80/20, then figure out a way to bolt them to your current extrusions. You could get those joiner plates they sell and run them vertically to tie them together. hope that helps! :cheers:
Thanks much for the options. #3 is the only one I have thought of. Let me research the other two.

I do have other uses in mind, unfortunately. Cargo carrier, fly rod holders, fuel, traction boards and 2 canoes. I’m sure I can come up with something.
Ah gotcha , well if that's the case go for a Gamaviti rack and you'll be a happy camper

Baja Rack is available from a bunch of distributors. A few that I had bookmarked. Will update if I get a chance with others.
View attachment 2137463

ARB offers 2 versions mesh and cage I believe
View attachment 2138125

Ironman 4x4 has a hybrid mesh rack:
View attachment 2138127
Anybody fitted this on their LC100? want to share a pic

ARB Base Rack. I ended up selling it because it was quite heavy.

1704566728653.png

1704566680674.png

View attachment 3526346

View attachment 3526341
Heavy compared to what? I cant even tell mine is up there, its aluminum. I would assume most similar racks (Front runner, K9, Eezi Awn etc.) would all be about a similar weight. To get something much lighter I think you would have to have something like Prinsu which in my experience is much more flimsy. I would imagine something like a Gamiviti would be much heavier

Heavy compared to what? I cant even tell mine is up there, its aluminum. I would assume most similar racks (Front runner, K9, Eezi Awn etc.) would all be about a similar weight. To get something much lighter I think you would have to have something like Prinsu which in my experience is much more flimsy. I would imagine something like a Gamiviti would be much heavier
Yeah in the scheme of things, 40-50 lbs of rack likely won't matter to anyone but me. At the time I was working through hot/high altitude stalling so was reducing weight where possible. It didn't help sway in the roundabouts either. But, my use case isn't really for more than what the stock rails can support anyway (though I don't know what that is).

Seems like they may have more size options now too? Three years ago there was only one for a 200 (in the US). Also, it doesn't sound like these specs include the weight of the vehicle-specific rail kit.

Last edited:

View attachment 3526346

View attachment 3526341

Not to sound like a jerk but I will. These slot style racks just seem so useless and cheap, just a way to have a rack-in-a-box for today's click and buy audience..... A roof rack should be heavy duty and support a wide variety of payloads , not just stuff that's made to adapt to slotted racks . ..still early, kinda grumpy, sorry lol

Not to sound like a jerk but I will. These slot style racks just seem so useless and cheap, just a way to have a rack-in-a-box for today's click and buy audience..... A roof rack should be heavy duty and support a wide variety of payloads , not just stuff that's made to adapt to slotted racks . ..still early, kinda grumpy, sorry lol
What's your definition of "slot style" racks?

I'm running a RR Pioneer rack and love the slots. They take regular industrial strut channel nuts so making up my own mounts, or converting mounts from other vendors, is quite simple and much cheaper than being forced to stick with one brand of add-ons.

What's your definition of "slot style" racks?

I'm running a RR Pioneer rack and love the slots. They take regular industrial strut channel nuts so making up my own mounts, or converting mounts from other vendors, is quite simple and much cheaper than being forced to stick with one brand of add-ons.
I personally just don't like the channel style flat racks. To me it's just a cheapy bolt together solution. They all look nice but not as functional for my particular use case and payloads. Probably works great for RTT and other stuff that people like to bolt to their truck and never use.

I personally just don't like the channel style flat racks. To me it's just a cheapy bolt together solution. They all look nice but not as functional for my particular use case and payloads. Probably works great for RTT and other stuff that people like to bolt to their truck and never use.
Different horses for different courses for sure. I do agree that a lot of these racks are purchased on a purely cosmetic aspect.

IMO, the Pioneer isn't the coolest looking rack available but it's the only one that I've found that isn't steel and can be walked on without having your feet fall through the slots. Standing on the rack to tie everything down is very handy. Having the slots to slide the eyebolts to any location is helpful as well. I'm also able to swap the platform out for the 3 crossbar setup in 10 minutes which is nice in the winter with snow clearing and carrying Thule cargo boxes and ski racks. All based on my usage though and may not work for others.

IMG_4343.jpg

Different horses for different courses for sure. I do agree that a lot of these racks are purchased on a purely cosmetic aspect.

IMO, the Pioneer isn't the coolest looking rack available but it's the only one that I've found that isn't steel and can be walked on without having your feet fall through the slots. Standing on the rack to tie everything down is very handy. Having the slots to slide the eyebolts to any location is helpful as well. I'm also able to swap the platform out for the 3 crossbar setup in 10 minutes which is nice in the winter with snow clearing and carrying Thule cargo boxes and ski racks. All based on my usage though and may not work for others.

View attachment 3530345

That's the key, not just for roof racks but just about every addition to the vehicle. Every vehicle and driver will have different needs, experiences, and opinions.. The flat racks are solid for some use cases for sure but not so much for others.

Me? No way in hell I want to climb up and pull down 5 gallons (40? lbs) of fuel/water or a heavy cooler off my roof when I need it =]

Are you just saying your custom rack suits you better than an off-the-shelf rack?

There's also an advantage to slot racks. They can be changed and modified by the end user as their needs change. And a lot of roof rack accessories like specialized mounts from various manufacturers can be adapted to fit.

Are you just saying your custom rack suits you better than an off-the-shelf rack?

There's also an advantage to slot racks. They can be changed and modified by the end user as their needs change. And a lot of roof rack accessories like specialized mounts from various manufacturers can be adapted to fit.
Yeah IDK I was just throwing my opinion into the mix. Rememeber the show Alaska Off Road Warriors? I used to get so envious watching them huck huge heavy payloads up on the roof of that ol cruiser.........Take a look at that and try to tell me that flat slotted thing ordered online that people bolt together on their roofs is a proper rack lol.

JK around obviously...... again, different strokes for different folks or as mentioned above and the first time I've heard, horses for courses.

1704990000827.png

no need to imagine. A Gamiviti Essential Expo rack for the 100 weighs 53 pounds... with towers and hardware, about 65 pounds.

carry on! :cheers:

Yeah IDK I was just throwing my opinion into the mix. Rememeber the show Alaska Off Road Warriors? I used to get so envious watching them huck huge heavy payloads up on the roof of that ol cruiser.........Take a look at that and try to tell me that flat slotted thing ordered online that people bolt together on their roofs is a proper rack lol.
I do love old iron and that rack is very appropriate for a redneck engineered FJ55. 😜:cheers:

So, 2 canoes is one of my most limiting, but also most frequent use cases. I'm looking for a nice flat rack that will allow me to have two horizontal load bars around 78" long installed when needed, and ideally those load bars would be as far apart (front to rear) as possible for maximum stability.

I've accomplished this for years n my 4runner by using Yakima Rail Grabs on the top tube of my Gobi-style low profile rack (Whitson Metalworks - amazing product, but sadly discontinued). I'm thinking the ARB base rack could work well and secure some of the HD bars from Yakima which can be mounted with the t-slots that run the length of the bars. I'm trying to keep the overall height of the bars as low as possible, because I'm pretty short, and the LC is pretty tall already. In fact, I have stock suspension but taller tires on the LC, vs a 2.5" lift on my 4runner, and the LC is taller than the 4runner's bars by an easy 2". See pics below of my 4runner (these aren't perfect, but what I could find in my camera roll) - this is really what I'm trying to achieve on the new LC. Can haul 2 canoes, but also be loaded up with gear.

IMG_2069.jpeg

Resized_20220704_185142.jpeg

62767035736__C4300914-3AF4-4501-9626-B28F571DF9ED.jpeg

IMG_1638.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom